Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 9 year old boys!

I will have a quiet 9 year old boy coming in Sept after school only for about an hour- 1 1/2 hours. Any suggestions on activities?

We are an all girl household, with him there will be the following girls:-
    2yr
    4yr
    5yr
    6yr
    9yr

Plus on one day a quiet 2yr old boy.

I have heard from mum he likes football, playing computer games and the computer. Shall I just offer those? I'm planning crafts for the girls but would like to be able to offer him more. I have kinex and lego but not much else boyish. My tom boy dd is only 5 so not quite at the older boy stuff yet.
    Paula

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 9 year old boys!

If I were you I'd ask him what he wants to play with or do?

I looked after an 8 year old last week and he loved playdough, dolls, cars, dr's kit etc, he just got on with it and really enjoyed himself.

Apr 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just ask him too - tell him what you have and i am sure he will just get on with it. You may find he joins in with craft things too - some boys love it -some hate it.
    I'm not paranoid - the world IS out to get me!

nov 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Sazhazy many boys really enjoy 'girly' activities, and will choose to do them in a 'girly' environment - as long as there are no other boys there to tease. I would imagine he will relish the opportunity to do some creative activities which can be seen as 'girly' but in reality are genderless iyswim!

Equally your girls may really enjoy a good game of footie!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cuffleygirl View Post
    I agree with Sazhazy many boys really enjoy 'girly' activities, and will choose to do them in a 'girly' environment - as long as there are no other boys there to tease. I would imagine he will relish the opportunity to do some creative activities which can be seen as 'girly' but in reality are genderless iyswim!
    Totally agree! Big change in them if there are no boys around.

My eldest are 11 and 10 and they love drawing, hama beads, lego, playdough or clay/saltdough, computer games, army figures (big bags from the £1 shop), building dens, general running around - my 11 yo likes to crochet chains but would die if his mates found out! 11 yo also likes baking and they both eat a lot, be prepared for that!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as though it is just after school for a short time I would just let them go witht he flow. You might find all he wants to do is chill out. By the time you have gotten home and had a snack (if you do snacks after school) and they have had a run about in the garden or frreeplayed together it will be time for him to go home. Just find out what he likes to do, I find the boys are usually happy to play with the girls and vice versa x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to post the same thing. I've got a 7yr old son but am hoping to sign up an 8yr old boy later today. At the moment the children *****mind are young or girls.