Who has a digital SLR camera?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who has a digital SLR camera?

I would love to get one, but haven't a clue where to start.

Who has got a DSLR? Are they as good as they're made out to be? What make have you got? What should I look out for when buying one?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Who has a digital SLR camera?

I used this one

http://www.johnlewis.com/230475869/Product.aspx

Or it could be to 500d (bad memory).

Its actually my dads but I use it too and its really good, he has a selection of lenses and takes a good quality pic, easy to use.

nov97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have one cost me £400 2 years ago but worth every penny, i love mine done loads pis on it took one of my kids and my nieces and nephews for my mum for christmas had it done on canvas, everyone thought it had been done professionally do it buy one

Post Thanks / Like

i got one just after christmas and was the same as you i had no idea so i asked my dad and he suggested the sony a330 so i got that one its great and exclusive to jessops but at the minute sony are doing a cashback offer and on this particular model you get £60 cashback!

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my digital SLR a couple of years ago.

It is a Nikon D80 and not cheap.

One of my big hobbies is photography though and I have done evening classes at uni for it too..
    I havent regretted it for a second yet...I have great pictures of great quality from it. I wouldnt change it!!

(I recently got an attachment for it to go onto my teleskope...need to try and get some piccies done soon)

I got mine from Curries as they had a great offer at the time with a free upgrade on the zoom.

Shop around and get some advice....even cameras that arent as expensive make great pictures these days and it really depends what you are using it for!!
    Nicole xx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I want one

No chance for a while as DD needs a camera for her A level photography when she goes to college in September. She is doing GCSE at the moment and hopefully will get her predicted A She has some fab pics of the snow before Christmas, on her 10mp little camera, I am SOOOO jealous!

Can't afford one for each of us
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

my DH has cannon 10d - worth a lot of money. well worth every penny imo but with an SLR you need to know what you are doing rather than just point and shoot (which is what i do! lol)
    Blessed Be!

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse View Post
    I bought my digital SLR a couple of years ago.

It is a Nikon D80 and not cheap.

One of my big hobbies is photography though and I have done evening classes at uni for it too..
    I havent regretted it for a second yet...I have great pictures of great quality from it. I wouldnt change it!!

(I recently got an attachment for it to go onto my teleskope...need to try and get some piccies done soon)

I got mine from Curries as they had a great offer at the time with a free upgrade on the zoom.

Shop around and get some advice....even cameras that arent as expensive make great pictures these days and it really depends what you are using it for!!
    hubby has the nokia d60 and ds has the a330 both love them and have taken some fab pics
    not cheap though but if photography is your thing go for it

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have 2 Nikons, mil is into photography so when she upgrades we get her old but expensive ones

I'm a point and shoot too so they stay at home while my little cheapy pops in my bag.

Not been any help to you has it

Carol xx

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a city and guilds in photography, many many moons ago, when cameras were cameras, none of this digital stuff, developing your own was fun.

BUT I'd have a digital camera any day, haven't got a SLR, just use my camera phone or 5mp Fuji for now. Friends have an expensive set up, kids have to stand still, he's always fiddling with something and I get more natural piccies on my 5mp camera or camera phone.

Would like to try a SLR but don't know if I could stand the faffing again!(or is that just him?)

Sorry not much help, would be interested in your views if you get one.
    Come back David....

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I've recently stolen DH's Canon EOS 350D. I was meant to be buying it from him as although its an older model its in mint condition, and he was then going to buy himself a new one but now we're thinking of selling it and putting what I would have paid him towards upgrading.

It will be another Canon, whatever we end up with as we're very happy with the results from the current one I would love to do some photography classes though as there's so much to take in.

Anybody who's got me on Facebook will have seen my first proper attempts at using it. Hoping we get our predicted 30cm snowfall tonight so I can get out and play with it some more!

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

i did my gcse in photography last year i got a A lol
    i have a cannon eos 450 i love it and have a macro lense and a portrait lense am looking a fish eye lense but so dear
    i would go in an ask in jessops thats wat i did and got to feel the camera and then bought it cheaper on line

really want to do my a level but it clashed with work but hopefully i'll get to do it this year as i will be hopefully on maternity leave
    heaven = bar of galaxy

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouse...give us an idea of your budget...

As of tomorrow DH will own a Nikon D200, second hand.
    You can get them for around £400.00 (£1200.00 New when available)

So you dont have to remortgage to own a professional camera
    Needs to Zumba

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be looking at a max of about £500.

Our local Surestart centre does a photograph course & I'm hoping to sign up for that.
    I love taking photos with my normal point & shoot cameras, but would love to understand how to do settings myself.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds brilliant Mouse.
    £500 should get you a nice one
    Needs to Zumba

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a new camera at the moment, how easy are they to load photos onto the computer.

My camera loads every photo I've taken each time, so when I've only taken a couple I have to wait for it to load them all which take forever
    Cherry x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cherry View Post
    I'm looking for a new camera at the moment, how easy are they to load photos onto the computer.

My camera loads every photo I've taken each time, so when I've only taken a couple I have to wait for it to load them all which take forever
    with mine i take the sd card out of the camera put it into the laptop open a folder to view the photos and copy and paste over the ones i want. simple.

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littlesprogs View Post
    with mine i take the sd card out of the camera put it into the laptop open a folder to view the photos and copy and paste over the ones i want. simple.
    Oohh thanks for that, I end up with the same photos on laptop several times over just for the sake of a few new ones. Now I just have to get m head round resizing the photos

Carol xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charleyfarley View Post
    Oohh thanks for that, I end up with the same photos on laptop several times over just for the sake of a few new ones. Now I just have to get m head round resizing the photos

Carol xx
    for resizing i do it this way. Right click on the photo you want to resize and select open with then select paint this will open up you picture in a new window then go to image (on the top toolbar) and then stretch and skew this will open up another little box then just change the percentage in the strech boxes. HTH