Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: horses

Registered Childminder since
    june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default horses

hi I am looking into getting my dd a pony, what I would like to ask for anyone in the know is the realistic annual cost. I am looking at renting a nearby field or do you think it is better to stable the pony. Any help will be appreiciated

Jan 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: horses

Costs differ hugely depending on where abouts you live and weather your pony can been kept at grass all year or requires stabling, if you need stabling your costs are likely to be much higher, as you will probably need to find a livery yard. Take a look at this, I think it gives a fair indication of what you need to consider before buying a pony

http://www.equine-world.co.uk/buying...cost_horse.htm

Kelly

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: horses

I used to have a horse (but in austria) so not sure about here...
    I shared it with my friend so that we could half the cost...He was a big dressage horse and was ridden 6 days a week ...+ 1 day off :-)
    The horse will also take up a lot of your time!! (which is what I loved about having a horse...!!!)

but you also need to take into account the following costs:
    vet bills which can be very expensive,
    getting hooves done
    cost of the stable and food...carrotts, apples, treats...all the other things your dd will want for the horse..a blanket, brushes.....riding equipment (I guess she will ride the pony?) maybe some lessons...

But I am sure someone with a better idea for costs over here will come along soon.
    Nicole xx

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya, you need to talk to Flora - she has horses!! Hopefully she will be along with some answers or you could try pm her??

Im scared of them myself - got bitten by a horse when I was younger (it hurt like ). My brother runs a livery stable so I am trying to learn to like them again by visiting occasionally. My DS1 loves riding on the little pony they have for the nephews and nieces but you wouldn't get me on one to save my life!!!
    Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Right, you really are asking how long is a piece of string

What sort of pony are you buying??? Is is native and hardy or wussy and need stabling???

I like to keep mine out all year, they don't need rugging up or stabling but have loads of shelter

Insurance my 12.2 pony is £ 13 a month. My shire mare is £25 so insurance is related to value and what you want to do with it/

Annual jabs for flu and tet are around 30 a jab. Tet is bi annual

Farrier every month - 8weeks dpending on their feet, whether they have shoes or not. Mine are trimed every 6 weeks at £ 15, shoes around here are £55 for the set.

Tack, you may or may not get this with the pony, good sythetic saddles are around £350 bridles around £50. Don't buy cheap tack, you just end up replacing it.

Rugs, sweat, turn out and stable rugs start from around £25 and then can go up to the £100's

Worming every 8 weeks or so, double dosing twice a year for tapeworm, around £15-20 a syringe full.

Food, hay is around £2 a bale this year but can be as much as £3.50 if it is scarce.

Hard feed depends onn what you are doign with the pony and what the pony is. My lot are costing me £30 a week to keep at the mo cos of the mare and foal

That some of the basics, there are many more and I know I keep mine on a budget You can spend loads of money. We worked it out once that we spend a third of our income on the 3 girls

Are you experienced??? Do you know how to look after the pony as there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. pm me if you want to pick my brains
    Last edited by flora; 27-04-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I think Flora has given you the indication of cost but from experience (daughter had pony) I would say the big thing is commitment. We had part livery so he was fed and watered and turned out but then after school we did the mucking out and sorting out the feeds, weekends we cleared the field of poop. After saying all this I can honestly say I enjoyed it all.

Cx

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Flora has certainly given you alot of info.

I agree it is a big commitment though. I have a fell pony who is very hardy and 14 hh so he is small enough for dd (11) to ride him and myself and i am 5'5 and 9st. I do the main caring as have always been horsey and work with racehorses at the mo too.

Horses are naturally herd animals so prefer company so if you can only afford 1 then livery is a better option.
    You may be better to take a pony "on loan" to make sure you will cope with financial and time side of things. Check with your local riding school or livery yard they may have suitable steeds lol
    If you keep horse yourself you will need to visit twice daily with feed/water etc You will need to make arrangements if you go on holiday or if you are ill.
    They can live for many years so the expense is an ongoing one.

Horses are fab and highly intelligent and lots of fun.
    I have great fun with my pony and he is one of the family. I keep him on a farm with several others belonging to 3 other owners. So there is always someone to feed etc if you cant make it that day but usually come rain or shine i am there twice a day seeing to my "handsome boy" lol
    He has been relatively cheap for me to keep(touch wood )as only pay £9 weekly through the summer when he is out at grass 24/7. In winter he comes in stable at night and farmer supplies haylage and straw,electricity,water and the grass lol and that costs £21 weekly which is cheap compared to some. He goes through a bag of feeding every 10-14 days in the winter (this suplements the diet because the grass is not so good in winter) He has shoes on and only needs farrier every 10 weeks which is also fab (norm as flora said is 4-8 weeks) this costs £60 in my area. I put money aside for vet fees etcevery month just in case.

In reality I can keep my pony well for less money than my friend spends on cigarettes every week and my "hobby" is healthier lol

Sorry to go on and on but hope i have helped a little!
    XX Jill XX

june 05
    Post Thanks / Like

thankyou all for your replys, I am still at the thinking stage.

we will see how things go

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the age of your daughter, you could get away with a shetland or shetland cross which due to it's size may make it slightly cheaper on a livery yard as they could use it as a bit of a lawn mower. If you are planning to rent your own grazing you will need to consider the points made above about the need for a companion.

If it is your first horse, I would search around first for a livery yard that accepts children so that your daughter has friends to mix with and you have some people around to ask advice from. Just remember that a small pony is highly likely to need more maintenance and/or restricted grazing due to the possibility of the dreaded laminitis!