Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spelling!

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spelling!

I have thought about putting a thread on about this for a while. Someone else did a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't find the thread.

Come on ladies and gents, we are supposed to be projecting a professional face.

I know sometimes when we start a thread we are passionate about the topic or tired of fed up.

I am getting a bit tired of seeing daft spelling mistakes, split words and no paragraphs. That makes things quite difficult to read.

One of the advantages of the computer is that there are spell checkers, the other thread mentioned Google Spell Checker which allows spell checking on Forums like this and when you build some web sites. I don't know about that one, maybe someone who has used it could comment and explain how we would make use of it?

I'm not expecting us all to be perfect, we are human! But lets all try.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spelling!

Sorry I do not agree

I really do hate bad grammer and I dislike spelling mistakes like you but .........

But I do enough paper work and always make sure that is ok I do not want to worry about things like that here

Also some members find it difficult to express themselves so it makes them feel uncomfortable if they have to get it all correct here and if we are constantly watching them

When I come into the forum I want to relax with my friends and not have to worry about things like that

I do understand where you are coming from and I do see your point but I do not think it is that important - not in the forum anyway

Sorry if I make mistakes you are going to just have to put up with them

Angel xxx
    Last edited by angeldelight; 15-04-2009 at 10:07 AM.

aly Guest

I agree with Angel...I actually sent her a pm and reading her reply I see my mistakes there my fault for not spellchecking but when you are busy sometimes you dont get time etc.

I do try and sometimes there are obvious mistakes which I will correct but sometimes I type too fast and get my 'gn' the wrong way around..as in thinking sometimes i put thinkign etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aly View Post
    I agree with Angel...I actually sent her a pm and reading her reply I see my mistakes there my fault for not spellchecking but when you are busy sometimes you dont get time etc.

I do try and sometimes there are obvious mistakes which I will correct but sometimes I type too fast and get my 'gn' the wrong way around..as in thinking sometimes i put thinkign etc
    I bet I made mistakes also

Whats a few mistakes between friends

There are more important things to worry about I think

Angel xx

Post Thanks / Like

I dont agree i dont always check my spelling either.

However there is one person on here who spells everything wrong to the point where i cant make out what the hell shes going on about. So i've stopped reading her threads now i know i wont be able to help her because i know i wont be able to understand it! I dont think shes posted for a while now anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littlesprogs View Post
    I dont agree i dont always check my spelling either.

However there is one person on here who spells everything wrong to the point where i cant make out what the hell shes going on about. So i've stopped reading her threads now i know i wont be able to help her because i know i wont be able to understand it! I dont think shes posted for a while now anyway.
    Hey hope it is not me

xxx

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I can spell ok but I do type really fast so tend to get my letters the wrong way round sometimes but I agree to Angel, we know what we're talking about and it's only between us. I am a member of a forum for the alzheimer's society and I don't feel like posting because a lot of the people on there express themselves very well and it makes me feel a bit inferior so I don't want to show myself up. We don't want this forum being like that.
    Sue

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do like good grammar, but don't feel you can tell people they must use it.

I do find some posts really hard to read when there is text-talk, no punctuation, no paragraphs etc. I've read some posts over & over, but just can't make sense of them. Other people obviously manage to as they reply, so I figure it's just me being dim! If I really can't understand it, I move onto the next post.

But, I am the world's worst speller and couldn't be bothered spell checking every post I make on a forum. As long as people can see what I'm trying to say, I'm happy!

And I'm aware that some people may not be able to make clear posts. I have several deaf friends who type as they speak - odd words, grammar etc. If I'm struggling to read a post I do consider that the poster may have dyslexia, not have english as a first language etc. I don't just assume they can't be bothered.
    Last edited by Mouse; 15-04-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angeldelight View Post
    Hey hope it is not me

xxx
    I did say i dont think she posts anymore and theres no chance of you ever stopping posting lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littlesprogs View Post
    I did say i dont think she posts anymore and theres no chance of you ever stopping posting lol
    Cheeky haha

Angel xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

before you comment on anyone else's spelling you should check you're own you have clearly written 'of fed up' which should state 'or fed up'

i am with you angel on this one, i thought this forum was a place for minder's to come and relax and chat, i didn't realise my writing was going to be criticised and marked, neither did i think any of you minders would think i was less proffessional than anyone else on here if i had a few grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.

some of us may have problems with writing like dyslexia do you realise how a statment like this could make them feel

i welcome any input from anyone, if it takes longer to read then so what at least they have made the effort to have their say instead of feeling they can't because they can not write clearly.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbelle View Post
    before you comment on anyone else's spelling you should check you're own you have clearly written 'of fed up' which should state 'or fed up'

i am with you angel on this one, i thought this forum was a place for minder's to come and relax and chat, i didn't realise my writing was going to be criticised and marked, neither did i think any of you minders would think i was less proffessional than anyone else on here if i had a few grammatical errors or spelling mistakes.

some of us may have problems with writing like dyslexia do you realise how a statment like this could make them feel

i welcome any input from anyone, if it takes longer to read then so what at least they have made the effort to have their say instead of feeling they can't because they can not write clearly.
    I stand corrected.!!

I did say we are not all perfect and nor would I expect that, I agree we come on here for many reasons. However several people have sited the exact reasons why I posted this! It is a shame surely that any of us feel unable to read a thread because it is difficult to read?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is hopefully an inclusive forum where everyone is welcome.

That includes people who have English as a second language and those who have conditions such as dyslexia etc. I have had a lot of help from both French and Spanish members of our forum ... and I am sure there are others here from abroad.

We also have members from all different walks of life with many different educational backgrounds and qualifications / educational levels and of different ages including some for whom computers are scary places.

Personally I often pop on here for a few minutes at a time and quickly answer a few threads without going back to check my spelling or punctuation so I make a good few mistakes.

I suggest a compromise here...

If any members are unhappy to read posts by those who cannot type as they expect or posts they find difficult to read for whatever reason, that they simply move on to others.

There are many other members who will answer

LOOPYLISA Guest

I feel a bit upset by your thread, ok what if some of us members are dyslexic?
    Im not by but hubby is and many more out there nowadays, does it really matter?, we come on here to chill, relax etc, if someone doesn.t understand posts im sure they would ask again what we mean......

Sorry to be so blunt but there was also a thread started a while ago, think you mentioned it, that also upset me...........

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have a point if you refer to people's homepages (still need to get mine checked)
    I like to see homepages without spelling mistakes etc and the same applies to policies etc that you use for your business, but I believe the forum is different as people have said above....
    I wouldn't want to do a spell check on all the posts I am writing to be honest.

you could be tired or upset with something and you just want to get out and I am sure everyone is trying their best when they are writing to ensure other's can read the posts...after all you want to get answers to them

Also, english is not my first language and I am conscious that maybe I get the odd word wrong or make mistakes with my grammar, but I dare anyone to post in german (or any other foreign language!!!)
    Nicole xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I have thought about putting a thread on about this for a while. Someone else did a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't find the thread.

Come on ladies and gents, we are supposed to be projecting a professional face.

I know sometimes when we start a thread we are passionate about the topic or tired of fed up.

I am getting a bit tired of seeing daft spelling mistakes, split words and no paragraphs. That makes things quite difficult to read.

One of the advantages of the computer is that there are spell checkers, the other thread mentioned Google Spell Checker which allows spell checking on Forums like this and when you build some web sites. I don't know about that one, maybe someone who has used it could comment and explain how we would make use of it?

I'm not expecting us all to be perfect, we are human! But lets all try.

I find this post quite abrupt hunnie, you maybe didnt mean it to come across that way but it has to me in my opinion. This is a forum to come and chat, chill out and relax and get help if needed not to be policed for spelling and grammar. If I am one of the people who you are getting tired of then please feel free to skip my threads and posts as I dont have the time or inclination to copy read all my posts
    Love Mrs Edward Cullen x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbelle View Post
    i thought this forum was a place for minder's to come and relax and chat,
    It is and always will be Tinks

I suppose the things is Rickysmiths, everyone will have something they don't like about a Forum whether this one or any other.

I've had people tell me that they don't like some members because they are too direct and harsh in their replies but it's not something that they have posted about, they might talk about it privately but not put a thread saying it out right because of upsetting them. Sometimes we just have to accept that there will be things we do and don't like.

I agree with Sarah, this is an inclusive Forum, and there are members who have dyslexia etc. or who do not have English as their first language and they bring so much to the Forum I would not like them to feel they should not come and post just because their grammar is not perfect.
    Pauline x

LOOPYLISA Guest

Thankyou Pauline and Sarah x

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad thats sorted counldnt be doing with checking my spelling and grammer every time i want to post- it would take too long to correct my spelling and grammer!!! i've never understood what constitutes good/bad grammer ......but i get by, and i think you should all be able to understand me...if not...well you are welcome to ignore me

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have dyslexia and have had since i dropped out of school thinking i was a bit stupid then i got diagnosed last yr and have been doing courses to make this better i never thought about this being an issue and now i am triple checking everything i put in-case i cant spell it I'm very sorry if people have trouble reading my posts i will try a bit more to make it easier to read
    Im just a littlestar *

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast