Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Spelling!

Registered Childminder since
    registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spelling!

So Rickysmith, where are you????

I am sure you must have read all of these posts.

Like Pauline says do you have any thoughts ????????

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flora View Post
    So Rickysmith, where are you????

I am sure you must have read all of these posts.

Like Pauline says do you have any thoughts ????????
    Nope she is in hiding and so she should she has offended so many people, but hey i have my dictionary to hand if she wants to reply

these are Paulines rules maybe she forgot to read this bit

I pride myself on the fact that this is a very friendly forum and although we welcome differences of opinion, and varied views, please discuss these in a way that does not become personal or offensive to anyone who disagrees with you.
    One life live it

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Im in hiding, I confess I can't spell when typing fast

TheBTeam Guest

I have thought long and hard about whether to post this, whether anyone else will have even noticed, or whether to know, smile and keep quiet, for fear of upsetting anyone.

But if you look at recent posts by rickysmiths, (won't say all because i am not sure that i have read them all) but a good few have had typo's in themselves.

Just goes to show, that we are not all perfect, excuse the terminology, see first post!"

June 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

My spelling is pretty reasonable, and luckily for me so is my grammar. I was one of the lucky ones who received what is probably described as a well rounded education. I admit to being terribly pedantic about things like misuse of apostrophes and wrongful use of who's and whose, their, there and they're, and it's and its on signage, menus etc but on the forum I couldn't give a hoot. This is where I chat with my friends. I accept my friends as they are and hope they accept me as I am...

Personally, whilst I can usually spell reasonably, I cannot type worth toffees. This is especially true when I am rushing whilst a LO sleeps or when I am tired at the end of the day (like now!). My posts would be peppered with typos if I didn't have a built in spellchecker. I never knew it mattered to anybody if I misspelt a word or used an incorrect punctuation mark, now I know it does I make mistake after mistake...

I too, find reading large blocks of unbroken text difficult (bad eyesight), cannot understand text speak (old age) and sometimes have problems understanding what some folk mean (my own stupidity) but I would NEVER EVER take it upon myself to tell other people to pull their socks up and make more of an effort. I don't run this forum so it's not my place...

Typos = 38+
    Incorrect capitalisation = 2
    Incorrect punctuation = 3 that I noticed...
    Words that my spellchecker is telling me are spelt incorrectly but are not = 2 (spellchecker and signage, lol!)
    Last edited by balloon; 17-04-2009 at 09:39 PM.

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Rickysmiths has definately got the message by now, so whilst my heart is saying 'if you don't like bad spelling don't read the posts' my brain is saying she made the comment it wasn't appreciated or taken on board, but i am fairly certain however thick skinned someone can be she will not have failed to notice she's upset a few people, and is propably fairly upset by that herself - so Rickysmiths, i say to you don't worry - don't worry about other peoples spelling, but also don't worry about an innocently meant post that has got a little out of hand..... water under the bridge i am sure xx
    Blessed Be!

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the bottom bit!
    Blaze x

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Its very deep water

but its ok i have my dictionary to keep me afloat
    One life live it

Post Thanks / Like

My daughters English teacher said at parents evening....

Its not how she spells a word that matters, it is the content and the fact she can express herself freely and confidently which is important..
    Freedom of expression.....Wise Words.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone who is a touch typist and I am, it is very hard to notice if something is spelt incorrectly or grammer phrased wrongly. This is because we do not read what we are typing and most of the time my fingers type as fast as my tongue can work (which is quite fast) and mistakes are made.

If I was typing a legal document or similar, it would matter but I think that we can be forgiven if a mistake is made.

Personally I do not understand some of the text shortenings that are used on here but as my son says "you are old mum" so I just glance over them and try and make sense of what is actually written in my old fashioned form of English!!

Do I have to keep up with this lingo? No but I don't complain about it or I really do sound old - better to keep quiet now...

Enough said
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember the member who used to post with quite a few spelling mistakes.

I dont think she belongs now. She used to mind with her mum and they gave up.

I just assumed that she was quite young and maybe suffered from dyslexia as does my eldest DD. But there was no way i would ever have posted a thread about it. She used to make me smile to myself. I could almost hear her saying to her mum when they had a problem " hold on mum i will just ask the girls on the minding forum they will know what to do "

I must admit i belong to a holiday forum ( i told you i do love my holidays) and on there we are not allowed to post in text.
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onceinabluemoon View Post
    My spelling is pretty reasonable, and luckily for me so is my grammar. I was one of the lucky ones who received what is probably described as a well rounded education. I admit to being terribly pedantic about things like misuse of apostrophes and wrongful use of who's and whose, their, there and they're, and it's and its on signage, menus etc but on the forum I couldn't give a hoot. This is where I chat with my friends. I accept my friends as they are and hope they accept me as I am...

[/SIZE]

I couldn't have put it better myself

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is time to move on with this, so with that in mind and after having discussed it with my dear mods, I am now locking this thread.

I think we have ascertained what we already knew anyway, that everyone is welcome to post here, no matter what your ability on spelling etc.

I think there has been enough time for Rickysmiths to reply, she has chosen not to which is her perogative.

Let the subject drop as there is no real point in continually bringing it into other threads and posts. Nor is there any point in bearing grudges if you did not agree with the original post.

I did say everyone is welcome here, there are of course two exceptions: Spammers and Trolls/Flamers. If you are either of those you are not welcome.

Pauline x

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456