Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SMEAR TESTS!!!

Registered Childminder since
    Sep 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SMEAR TESTS!!!

I didnt go for 11 years thinking it wont happen to me. Guess what it did, I had cervical cancer and cysts on my womb. Lucky it had not been there long and was caught in time. All I can say is please please go for your smears 10 min out of your day could save your life. I go yearly now without fail

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    not at all mist xxxx

Carolyn, you say you have to have the smear done at a certain time of your cycle, I have not ever been told this. Obviously there are times when it can't be done. Perhaps it because I have to make the appointment and take pot luck as my cycle is so irregular
    Yes they tell me middle of your cycle x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    not at all mist xxxx

Carolyn, you say you have to have the smear done at a certain time of your cycle, I have not ever been told this. Obviously there are times when it can't be done. Perhaps it because I have to make the appointment and take pot luck as my cycle is so irregular
    I was led to believe that it had to be done around the 14th day of your cycle,(the day you started your period counting as day 1) I may be wrong, in which case it is much easier to arrange!!!!

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

it's advise to be in the middle of your cycle but a smear a week later is better than no smear!!! they'll take you on as long as your not bleeding

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am going to phone tomorrow to get booked in for next tues, my day off.
    I have put it off for so long cos I am scared, not of having it done, I am not bothered, been prodded about lots as most woman have who have been through child birth twice. Just scared they may find something wrong. It may seem silly to some people, but I can't help it/

I am going to be brave and get it done x

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymop View Post
    I have put it off for so long cos I am scared, not of having it done, I am not bothered, been prodded about lots as most woman have who have been through child birth twice. Just scared they may find something wrong. It may seem silly to some people, but I can't help it/

You will be fine x

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for you. You will feel better for having made appt am sure x x x

P.S doesn't seem silly at all. I think everyone is worried about results (even if they don't mind the test)

jo x x x
    Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misst104 View Post
    Good for you. You will feel better for having made appt am sure x x x

P.S doesn't seem silly at all. I think everyone is worried about results (even if they don't mind the test)

jo x x x
    I think our clinic only call you in/let you know if there is any abnormalities, at least they used to.
    I tell you what my problem is. I am a kind of hyperchondriact (sp?). If I have a bad headache I think I have a brain tumour, if my hands look puffy I thin kI am have problems with my heart/blood, etc
    If I get a belly ache I think I have cancer of the stomach.
    I know this is tmi - but when I go to the toilet I always check to see if I have blood just incase I have bowel cancer.
    A few years back I had a reminder to go and have a smear test, I couldn't find the time and was near my period so i put it off even though i knew I needed to go.
    Then I started seeing articles, magazines like Take a Break, tv programmes, books, the News, everything I seemed to look at over the next few weeks after the docs reminder had "cervical cancer" somewhere written, televised.
    I got very paraniod and it made me ill (panicky)
    I stared dreaming about it as well.
    I am quite scared, I hope you understand that I have not been ignorant, just terrified

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I think our clinic only call you in/let you know if there is any abnormalities, at least they used to.
    I tell you what my problem is. I am a kind of hyperchondriact (sp?). If I have a bad headache I think I have a brain tumour, if my hands look puffy I thin kI am have problems with my heart/blood, etc
    If I get a belly ache I think I have cancer of the stomach.
    I know this is tmi - but when I go to the toilet I always check to see if I have blood just incase I have bowel cancer.
    A few years back I had a reminder to go and have a smear test, I couldn't find the time and was near my period so i put it off even though i knew I needed to go.
    Then I started seeing articles, magazines like Take a Break, tv programmes, books, the News, everything I seemed to look at over the next few weeks after the docs reminder had "cervical cancer" somewhere written, televised.
    I got very paraniod and it made me ill (panicky)
    I stared dreaming about it as well.
    I am quite scared, I hope you understand that I have not been ignorant, just terrified
    I don't think you are ignorant at all! I have said before that although smears are not something that bother me there are certain things in life that I avoid like the plague because I am scared. I just bury my head in the sand and hope they go away (they don't) so I totally know where you are coming from. I hope you find the courage to go and have one soon

I too would go to the FP clinic next time as they are open until 7pm and no appointment needed xxxx

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree hun i had one few months back after falling ill (6 months in total) it came back clear .thankfully

my last one was 2003 according to the docs comp but i know i had one in 2005 few months after my miscarriage ..just guess the note of it got lost in the move to new docs or wasnt recorded !!

i dont like the gap we have between having a smear test tho tbh .. i think id prefer it yearly ..just incase
    To Dare Is To Do

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a family history of cancer & I have a history of problems myself...I have not had a smear for nine years...I have booked an appointment now (2 weeks time)...I will now spend the time between now & the results petrified of the results!!!
    Blaze x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been told there's a time within the cycle for a smear test. So long as you're not on your period, then they can do the test.

And again, I feel like I'm banging on but everyone please if you have pre-teen or teen daughters, ask for the jab to help prevent cervical cancer. It's available now.

About 15 years ago, I had pre-cancerous cells on my cervix and so did a friend of mine. She had some scrapy procedure done to take care of it and I was scheduled for the same treatment but discovered I was pregnant. So they just kept close watch on me and apparently, the trauma of my son's birth was enough to cause my cervix to shed the cancerous cells on its own as I didn't nee the procedure after he was born at all.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Apr 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    There is a family history of cancer & I have a history of problems myself...I have not had a smear for nine years...I have booked an appointment now (2 weeks time)...I will now spend the time between now & the results petrified of the results!!!

Well done for booking the appt Blaze

jo x x x

Brrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone know what age you should be having smears from???? i'm only 22 (23 this year) but my son is 2 now so don't know if i've fallen off the system somewhere.
    anna xx
    Blessed Be!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

on gmtv this morning they were talking about it and in this country the age is 25yrs

dec 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    Have just read this thread and would urge all ladies to go and get checked out. I hadnt had a smear in 7 years Kept putting it off, throwing away the letters, thinking it'll never happen to me-surely there would be signs of something amiss.. Ignoring the phonecalls to make an appt in the end my doctor actually rang me up requesting that I went in to see her. I was told that from a medical I had had several months earlier that there was blood in my urine...and that they had been trying for several months to get in touch with me anyhow had more tests and finally a smear. Whilst having the smear i was told it didnt look good. my cervix was severly inflamed and bleeds to the touch. when being asked a series of questions afterwards it suddenly dawned on me..I could have cancer i asked the doctor outright and she agreed it is a possibility Now im waiting for the results to come in and only hope Ive not learnt my lesson the hard way !

Please all ladies, go and get one done-I was embarrassed to have one due to my size-as im alot bigger since having my last child 7 yrs ago-silly I know, but true. I would rather be embarrassed for 5 minutes than die from my embarrassement.x
    You make 'em, I amuse 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mertonparker View Post
    Hello,
    Have just read this thread and would urge all ladies to go and get checked out. I hadnt had a smear in 7 years Kept putting it off, throwing away the letters, thinking it'll never happen to me-surely there would be signs of something amiss.. Ignoring the phonecalls to make an appt in the end my doctor actually rang me up requesting that I went in to see her. I was told that from a medical I had had several months earlier that there was blood in my urine...and that they had been trying for several months to get in touch with me anyhow had more tests and finally a smear. Whilst having the smear i was told it didnt look good. my cervix was severly inflamed and bleeds to the touch. when being asked a series of questions afterwards it suddenly dawned on me..I could have cancer i asked the doctor outright and she agreed it is a possibility Now im waiting for the results to come in and only hope Ive not learnt my lesson the hard way !

Please all ladies, go and get one done-I was embarrassed to have one due to my size-as im alot bigger since having my last child 7 yrs ago-silly I know, but true. I would rather be embarrassed for 5 minutes than die from my embarrassement.x
    Oh poor you

How long do you have to wait for the results

Hope you are ok - thanks for sharing your story

I hope the results are good when you get them

Keep us posted

Thinking of you

Angel xx

dec 97
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Angel for your kind words.
    Have been told it could be anything up to 4weeks. Normal smear test results take around 6-8 wks. Have been waiting 3 wks now. Got my fingers crossed.

mertonparker.x
    You make 'em, I amuse 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Have been told it could be anything up to 4weeks. Normal smear test results take around 6-8 wks. Have been waiting 3 wks now. Got my fingers crossed.

mertonparker.x
    Fingers crossed also for you

xxxx

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

mertonparker.x
    Thinking of you! x
    Blaze x

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast