Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I over reacting?

Yesterday, DH went to collect DD from school (Year 7). He phoned me a while later and said she hasn't come out yet, but the rest of her year group have all gone past. He got out of his car and walked to the end of the road to look for her and as he did two girls from her class approached him and said that DD had hurt her ankle and was at the school gate, unable to walk any further. So, he drove up to the gate to collect her. She was waiting with two other girls who had physically held on to her as she hopped from the school door to the gate (quite a long way, past the school field etc).

She had sprained her ankle at 10am that morning - first break! She told her teacher when she got back in class and they said if it is still hurting in half an hour she could go to medical. Anyway, she did go to medical - they put ice on it and she stayed there for a while. She had her lunch in there as she couldn't walk to the canteen. The medical lady then took her back to class and could see that she was hopping all the way.

When DH carried her from the car to the house, I could see straight away from a distance that her ankle was really swollen. She burst into tears at home as it was painful and she was exhausted at having to put up with it from 10am. We phoned our surgery for advice and they said to take her for to a and e. She had an x-ray and it is a 'bad sprain'. He said she needs to stay at home today and rest it. She has an ankle brace to wear.

Anyway, DH and I were both disappointed that school hadn't called us to let us know. We could have at least made arrangements to help her physically at home time. I know it's a judgement call at the end of the day, but is was very obviously very swollen!

I have sent an email telling them that she will be absent today, and I did mention that we would have appreciated a phone call. Is it just that secondary schools are tougher and less nurturing than primary schools and I just have to 'man up'?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dont think you are overreacting I think a phone call was the least they could do.

When ds did damage to his knee when they rang me and found out I didn't drive (school is literally 5 minutes walk away) one of the teachers brought him home in his car because they didn't want him to walk.

I think there is a certain bit of them growing up and not ringing home for everything to collect. However no one at that the school could determine how severe the damage was.

Hope she's OK xx
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Poor DD Maza, I hope she is OK, and with rest, her ankle heals quickly.Sprains can be nasty. Lots of rest, ice and elevation.

I would have expected a call from school. Maybe not in the first instance, but at lunch, when it became obvious that she was struggling to put weight on her ankle. Especially as she is only a year 7.
    How lovely that her friends were helping her.

I have had teachers drop my children home when I've been unable to collect, although only once from secondary ( and that teacher is a good friend of ours! )

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think you’re over reacting at all, especially if it was very clear DD was having trouble walking. How did they think she was going to get home? I’d have expected a phone call earlier in the day, once it was clear it wasn’t getting better, so that you could decide what to do or so that they could suggest you took her to get it checked.

I hope DD is feeling better soon.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I received an email (in response to the one I sent) this morning from the TA who had dealt with it. It was rather curt and dismissive. Oh well. She's getting a phone for her birthday on Sunday so in future she can phone us herself (hopefully she won't ever need to).
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 27-11-2020 at 12:22 PM.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I received an email (in response to the one I sent) this morning from the TA who had dealt with it. It was rather curt and dismissive. Oh well. She's getting a phone for her birthday on Sunday so in future she can phone us herself (hopefully she won't ever need to).
    Maza ignore the fact it says I have edited your post lets just say fat fingers on my phone.

I would reply asking them to confirm who there safeguarding lead is but I'm mean like that
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You didn’t over react. I would have been furious.

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maza, how is your DD this morning? X

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks loocyloo.

The swelling has gone down quite a bit, but it is still very swollen. She can hobble slowly to the loo and back, but not much more than that at the moment. She hasn't had any painkillers today though, so that's progress. She's a bit more cheerful today too.

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hugs xxxxx

17. Likes Maza liked this post