Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good morning Tuesday

Happy Tuesday everyone!

It's quite cold here this morning, but the sun is shining and the sky is blue so I'm hoping it'll warm up a bit as the day goes on.

Do you remember near the beginning of lockdown I'd planted some vegetable seeds in my new trug? It was my first attempt at growing veg. Well, this morning we've harvested the first crop of french beans! We've got a bowl full so will be having them for dinner this evening. It's very exciting

Just my one toddler here again today, so a quiet day for me. I've decided that I'm not going to take anyone else on now until September and will enjoy a quiet August. I've already got some September starters signed up but was (half-heartedly) looking to fill some of the odd days sooner. Having thought about it though, I decided I'd enjoy my 3 day week for another month

Have good days everyone and have fun, whatever you're doing.

2. Likes Pixie dust, loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Afternoon weather has been a bit varied here today but we have been outside most of the morning and now its quiet time.
    We love trying to grow our own veg, we have a small garden so we try and grow things in containers not always successfully but the children love it especially when they pull up carrots. We have carrots/beans/lettuce/cabbage growing at the moment we did have potatoes and strawberries but they have finished now. I have no idea about gardening just trial and error!

I am enjoying not having any of the older ones for the holidays as normally its a bit of a juggling act keeping everyone happy, I am on stand by for 2 families incase they get called back to work. I have all my little ones over the holidays this time, in the past some have been term time only with parents being teachers but one has had a career change so now all year round.
    Pixie Dust

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good afternoon!

I don't know how it has got to the afternoon! I've been reviewing my policies etc and getting my portfolio up to date! also printing off everything I need for signing up 2 families this week! I have to say, I am quietly impressed with how all my paperwork looks! I've streamlined it all into the same font, and same size text, and it all looks very smart. I've even managed to put my 'logo' on a couple of documents!

I must admit, that I have enjoyed not having to juggle older ones every day in the holidays, But equally, have missed them too! I have a new pair of schoolie siblings starting in a few weeks, so learning curve for us all.

Well done on the beans! My french beans were planted and doing great, then appeared to go into hibernation and did nothing for ages, and a friend then gave me some runner beans, which i planted along side the french beans ... now i've got lots of runner beans coming, and the french beans have started to produce beans too! we had peas, which have finished, and i have cucumber and tomatoes in the greenhouse. well done Pixie on growing lettuce ... i just don't seem to be able to manage it - crazy i know, as its simple! carrots defeat me too!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had an enquiry today from someone wanting half a day, once or twice a week. DH said not to bother, but to be honest I am quite keen just to get back in the game. I haven't responded yet, it only came through a short while ago. Sometimes I think DH is being a bit naïve and expecting us to have the same interest as we did in busy London, but I'm nervous that we wont, especially in the current circumstances.

Well done Mouse! That must be so satisfying.

6. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I have had an enquiry today from someone wanting half a day, once or twice a week. DH said not to bother, but to be honest I am quite keen just to get back in the game. I haven't responded yet, it only came through a short while ago. Sometimes I think DH is being a bit naïve and expecting us to have the same interest as we did in busy London, but I'm nervous that we wont, especially in the current circumstances.

Well done Mouse! That must be so satisfying.
    Well done Maza.

I would see the family, with a view to taking the child on. As you say, it starts you off, gives you a child to go out and about with. When I started having moved, it was just one child, for a couple of mornings a week, but it was an opportunity to go out and about and be noticed with a child! It might be that those half days, become a longer day, or more sessions, and may lead to the family recommending you to others. Just don't agree to whatever they want! I know that is advice we give to childminders just starting out, but it is also useful to bear in mind for us more experienced childminders starting up again! Good Luck

8. Likes Pixie dust, Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on the enquiry Maza.

I've taken on all sorts of odds and ends in the past. I had a child who came one day a month. It fitted in nicely with the other children I had, but then one day a month soon turned into 3 days a week and he stayed with me for years.
    I had another who came 2 afternoons a week. He lived with his grandmother and she needed a few hours a week to herself. She could be flexible on which days he came so I could fit him in round the other children. The plan was for him to go back to his dad after a while so I knew it wouldn't be long term.

I think the key to it is getting all the facts. Find out why they need care and that gives you an idea of whether it will be permanent or short term, if they can be flexible on days, if the hours are likely to increase etc. If I do take a child on with those sort of hours I explain that I may have to reassess the situation if it blocks another enquiry. I've never actually had to give notice for that reason (and wouldn't really want to), but I make sure parents are aware it could happen.

10. Likes Maza, loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post