Thread: Happy Thursday!

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Happy Thursday!

Good morning everyone !

Just curious on everyones feelings about play park visits and general outings with the children? I have taken the children on local walks and to the beach as it's within walking distance but I have avoided the local park or even trips in the car further afield. The thing is the children are all going to the park with their parents and have been out and about a lot more than I have. I am still very wary about going out and Covid has definitely affected me in that respect as we used to go out all the time! I didn't think I had been too bothered then I realised that people are going out more, visiting places, eating out etc but I am still staying in my little bubble.

Anyway Thursday is my crazy day with my 2 year olds so look forward to reading your replies later! One of them has been up since 5.30am so they are a bundle of joy
    Pixie Dust

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Pixie Dust and everyone.

I haven’t taken the children out far yet, but most of them are only doing one day a week at the moment so they have plenty of time to be doing that sort of thing with their parents. We go on local walks, but most of the time is spent here in the garden which they’re more than happy with.
    I don’t ever take them anywhere by car but we would usually go on the bus or train. I’m not planning on doing either any time soon so we won’t be having our usual days out this summer. I’ll reassess in September.

Today is my manically busy day, although 2 of the children are already an hour late so the chaos hasn’t started yet! Once everyone’s here we’re going on a bug hunt in the garden and then we’ve got some bug crafts to do.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to local walks but a couple of days through the hols I’m paying to visit places that have put systems in place for hygiene and restricted numbers or hours to visit. I don’t fancy the local play parks as they aren’t going to be cleaned that often. My road is a horseshoe shape with a green in the middle with big trees. A swing has been hung from one tree. People out on their walks during lockdown were letting their children use it. I’ve mentioned this to parents And they stop their children going on it at pick up time. I know these things are outside and are said to be safer but when we are going to the extra effort of Constantly cleaning toys and surfaces, I don’t feel ok using them, especially for other peoples children

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I’m not taking mine to parks. Just fields , rivers, open spaces. Will continue like this for the foreseeable future. I know parents take them out and that’s up to them but I’m not happy about it yet.
    i know I’m fed up with all the extra cleaning 🧼 When will it end! And what’s it doing to our immune systems?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good afternoon.

I'm going out and about walking and in the car; to woods, to beaches, to feed the ducks, visit the zoo and aquarium and sometimes had icecreams/takeaway coffee etc ... but I'm not ready for parks! It's not 'my' children, just can't keep other children away. We were at an empty playarea at the zoo. I said they could have 1 go on the slide.. as they climbed up, 2 other children rushed up and pushed past so I told mine to wait. Once they'd come down, mine came down and we cleaned hands and carried on with our day. There were no parents in sight of these children aged about 8/9 and i did tell them they should have waited for us, but nothing you can do really.
    I'm also not meeting up with other people.

I've got 1 just 2yr old and 1 20mth old today and we've had a brilliant time exploring the woods.

( and by the way ... who stole Wednesday? I blinked and it had gone! )

And i agree, I'm a bit worried about all the cleaning and what it's doing to our immune systems as well. I already have a couple of asthmatic mindees...
    Last edited by loocyloo; 23-07-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our local playgrounds are now quite busy. It used to make me sad seeing them all chained up, but I don't think I would feel confident taking little ones to use them. Such a shame as they were a great, healthy way of taking up part of the day for free.

Nice to know that some of you are filling up your September spaces. DH spoke to our neighbours the other day about me starting childminding again and they were fine about it, huge weight lifted off our shoulders. So, I am hoping to get someone for September - no luck yet though. Back in London I always used to get enquiries for each September, but I don't think I am going to be that lucky here - more rural, no word of mouth recommendations until I am up and running and no playgroups to attend (due to covid) where I could get my face known. I have had some enquiries, but they were for months and months away, so I told them to contact me closer to the time.

I am jealous of all the lovely activities you are doing with your mindees. DD is harder to please these days now that she is 11, but I have just ordered some 'sun paper' - it seems to be the 'in thing' at the moment and a lino printing kit for beginners for her. With the lack of day trips that we can do this summer I have been searching for more grown up crafts for her to do at home.

Have a lovely day everyone.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good luck advertising Maza... did you start a Facebook page? Can you put photos of places you've been ... woods etc and say something like 'can't wait to share this with some little children' or some baking or craft etc ?

Does DD have any friends with younger siblings that you could ask parents to share your page/ tell people about you?

I remember when I moved, it was hard as we knew no one. I had an advert in my window, and at school and every notice board/shop I could, plus village halls etc, and also a magnetic sign on my car! I started looking for work in the May, started with one child 2 mornings in the July ( neighbour s child ) but it took till the Oct till I was more or less full. I also went to 'play' at toddlers on my own, but you can't do that! I also wore a fleece that said childminder on it, and the same on an umbrella, along with my logo! I also spoke to the few childminders in the area to say hello! But I'm not aware that any passed my number on! There were only about 10/12 in a 15 mile radius ... probably about 7/8 of us now!

Enjoy the sun paper .. I've always thought that looked good! My DD at a similar age enjoyed making friendship bracelets where you knot / weave embroidery threads together. I've just looked ... loads of ideas on Pinterest. I like the heart ones and might have a go myself!

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maza - A friend of mine’s children is doing the Apple activities this summer - they look quite good, and I think could be adapted for any age - not really craft- but drawing?

applecampathome

Tricky times trying to find customers with no community activities. Our toddler group has a Facebook page, private but a childminder asked to join and now does a regular update of places available...along with the village nursery. Might be worth looking to see if there are any locally?

I had the sun paper - it is great when it works -the paper I had needed a really strong sunshine to work though. I think the more expensive papers react better.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooo Maza, I was just sending the link for pawprint family challenge badges to a friend with children aged 8-14 and i thought your DD might be interested? All sorts of different badges to do, and loads of different activities/challenges per badge ( and you don't have to do them as a family! )

Home | Pawprint Family

I'm doing the bee one with minded children and it's great. The older children have decided what they want to do, and 2 are doing bits at home as well.

12. Likes Maza liked this post