Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is a kindle screen time?

With the libraries not yet open, I have bought a few more books than usual recently, but it's not a long term option financially. So I'm once again toying with the idea of getting a kindle. I still have my reservations though.

Is a kindle cheaper in the long run?

Is it really the same as the sensory experience of reading a book (I just love the smell of a new book)?

Does it feel like screen time - which we are all trying to reduce?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've got a kindle (although i also have the kindle app on my phone! )

I prefer real books, and like you, I seem to have bought more books than usual, as libraries are shut.

My problem is that kindle books can cost nearly a much as proper books! If there is a book I want to read, I usually look to see if it is cheaper to buy for the kindle or a second hand book. It doesn't smell or feel the same as a book, but I find it useful for traveling, or at this time when libraries are shut.

Or ... i just look for the free/£1 books on kindle. I have discovered some great new authors that way. ( and some dreadful ones!) I also have Amazon prime, which means I can 'borrow' books from the prime kindle library.

My library, and I guess all libraries also have ebooks to borrow, but they don't use a kindle, so you'd need to put a different e reader app on phone/computer. I haven't really looked into them, to see which/how many books are available.

I can turn the brightness/blue light down on the kindle, and it doesn't feel like screen time, but it's not my preferred reading! ( The app on my phone is useful for when I'm waiting around for DD or whatever )

Maybe try the app on your phone and see if you like it before buying a kindle. X

3. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Kindle which I normally use for holidays as I can take more books to sit and read without weighing my case down and its always been handy to have an the plane but I definitely prefer physical books as nothing beats that. Currently I am using my Kindle more as have been borrowing books via Amazon Prime.
    Pixie Dust

5. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love books, I studied English Lit at Uni and I have a house ( and loft ) full of them.
    But I also love the Kindle. I had one as soon as they existed and have upgraded a couple of times.
    The new kindles have super soft on your eyes screen so I don’t think of it as screen time.
    Like Pixie Dust I love taking them on holiday , loaded with books, less weight and space taken up.
    When I did a long haul flight it was great on the plane when the lights were dimmed as it has it’s own backlight.
    I love to read in bed, you can cuddle in with the kindle and it isn’t so awkward to hold as a book, plus the lights can be turned off, the kindle low lit and DH doesn’t complain!
    It is perfect for reading in the sunshine, the screen can be seen in the sunshine, unlike an iPad or phone screen.
    It means that my library is not expanding as quickly as it had in the past. I have no room, I cannot get rid of books I love and they just take up space.
    If I know I would want to keep a book, favourite author, classic etc...I will buy it in paper form, but quick reads are perfect on a kindle, the sort of books you read and then give away immediately.
    I did a whole summer on £1 / free books once, Loocyloo .It made me read new authors and out of my usual genre of books, it was a good challenge and I loved the variety I read. Sometimes when I buy a book I stay safe in the author or genre, they are so expensive that I won’t risk something new. As a Prime member I get a free book per month from new authors and they are great to read.
    Family still buy me books so I read both. My book club is run by the local Independent bookshop so I feel a bit guilty reading an e book and usually buy the book from her so I do still read the real thing.
    I still buy children’s books too. My daughter in law is an author and publisher of children’s non fiction and I buy all her books.
    I have spent lockdown however reading on my iPad as the library ebooks have to be accessed through an app. We have free access via my library card number to press reader and borrow box whichI have loved. I have read every magazine and newspaper there is, it has been quite a treat. I will miss reading the Washington times when the world is back to normal!
    I am currently reading a book about a music shop and there is a Spotify link to all the music discussed in the book, now that is a great Interactive Experience!

So, in answer to your question Maza, I don’t think the new kindle screen is as harsh so if you want to reduce your screen time because of the actual glare of screen being not good for you - I wouldn’t count the kindle in with a phone or iPad or laptop.
    It is a different sensory experience, but in a good way. I wouldn’t totally replace books, but it is a convenient and often cheaper ( unless you are looking for new publications) alternative.
    The best thing of all is if you read a book in a series and you get to the end ...no matter what time it is or where you are you can download the next one!!
    The worst thing is thinking that you have another 100 pages to go and it turns out that most of those are the first chapter of the author’s next book....on a kindle that just suddenly happens and the story ends psychologically prematurely. With a book you flick and know the last few pages are promoting another book. With a kindle you have to flick ahead the pages one by one and I always forget to!

For my birthday In lockdown my son bought me 5 books and put them on my kindle ( we have family access). He put a message in my card. It wasn’t quite the same as having a bag of books as a gift , but it has been as lovely to read books chosen by him for me in this way and it mean’t it was an easier gift to give when we were only shopping for essentials.
    On a negative side though about Amazon and publishers -Amazon reduced their book stocks in lockdown to make way for space for more essentials. This has really affected my daughter in law’s publishing company as Amazon are a major source of book buying, so much so that as we all come out of this COVID awfulness the publishing companies are warning that they will be reducing their workforce and having to restructure.

Hope this helps.

7. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm, you do all sound like you have positive experiences with them. Thank you. I will have to add it to my list - but I think it will have to be a Christmas list.

FloraDora - lovely to hear of you mentioning a 'daughter-in-law'. I remember a post a while ago where you mentioned that one of your sons was getting married. Congratulations!

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooo Flora ... what is the name of the book about a music shop? Sounds good! X

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Ooo Flora ... what is the name of the book about a music shop? Sounds good! X
    The music shop - Rachel Joyce - I have borrowed it via Borrow Box from the library.

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    The music shop - Rachel Joyce - I have borrowed it via Borrow Box from the library.
    Thanks x