Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Panic buying...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Panic buying...

...what on earth is going on?

I went into a local discount store yesterday and shelves were empty! There was no toilet roll, no hand wash and no paracetamol. Even the cleaning products and rubber gloves were looking very scarce. The food aisle was looking very empty in the pasta & rice section.

I then went into Sainsburys and they did have some toilet roll, although not a lot. They also had some hand wash, but not the refills I usually buy. All I wanted was my usual 9 pack of toilet roll and 2 antibac hand wash refill packs, but I came away with a 4 pack of toilet roll and one bottle of hand wash. I know I could have bought 2 packs of toilet roll and 2 bottles of hand wash, but I thought it would look like I was panic buying if I did that

2. Likes Pixie dust, loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We had the same problem yesterday with hand wash, I couldn't get any when I did my usual weekly shop they did have plenty of toilet roll which I didn't need. I managed to pick up a refill pouch in another store. People are going crazy and then there isn't anything left for people who genuinely need it. The supermarket had signs up limiting people but they had no stock where the nearly discount store it was a free for all and the people were literally grabbing the last few bottles of the shelf The man behind me at the checkout had 4 .....maybe he needed 4 who knows but it did seem a bit excessive .
    Last edited by Pixie dust; 08-03-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    Pixie Dust

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Same thing in my Co-op today!

I can 'sort of' understand the handwash - but loo roll and pasta?

Quite scary that supermarkets are running out of nurofen and paracetamol for both adults and children.

A couple of weeks ago I did see a guest on 'This Morning' discussing more environmentally friendly ways of cleaning our bottoms after using the loo. Phillip was horrified, but maybe this is the nudge we need!

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

More environmentally ways to clean our bottoms 😱 I haven’t heard of that, interesting.

8. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its a good job our fellow countrymen looks out for each other at a hint of crisis - oh wait.

Our shops are sparse finding antibacterial gel is a rarity.

Unless you want to pay overinflated prices.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It does make you wonder what people were washing their hands with before. I always buy a mulitpack of soap one bar is never enough. I also have the liquid soap as children prefer it

At football they are not allowed to shake each other hands at the moment. Rugby havent said anything but as they are tackling each other i doubt a handshake is going to make much difference.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

12. Likes Pixie dust, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    More environmentally ways to clean our bottoms 😱 I haven’t heard of that, interesting.
    I wasn't totally listening, but I think the lady said that obviously if we had a bidet it would cut down on loo roll, or we could use reusable cloths which we put in a lidded container after use and then they are washed - she compared it to reusable nappies, but obviously without the liner. That was the bit that horrified Phillip! It would take a bit of fine tuning to make that one a hygienic option I think!

Haha, Fussy, yes, I guess refusing a handshake after a rugby match would seem a bit daft!

14. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Reusable cloths yuck 🤢 I had terry nappies for my oldest children but adult using reusable cloths, can’t get my head round that one!

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheeky Wipes do an alternative to toilet roll - I think it's the same idea as their reusable baby wipes, bigger cloths and a water/essential oil solution.

I've used reusable sanitary protection for years so I don't think I'd be totally against the idea of reusable toilet wipes. I'd just use them for myself though as I'm not sure I'd be prepared to deal with the whole family's dirty wipes

18. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Our shops are exactly the same!
    No toilet roll, hand wash or kitchen cleaner!

What is wrong with people?

Even if they do have to self isolate, what are they going to do with this stuff?

I called to my local Aldi this morning, they just had a delivery, so I was able to get a pack of toilet rolls, the guy in front of me had 8 packs of toilet roll

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

8 packets of toilet roll !

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently it is the same in the States too!

Does anyone know why loo roll of all things? Someone said that the pasta is made in Italy who have temporarily stopped exporting it - but loo roll???

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Does anyone know why loo roll of all things? Someone said that the pasta is made in Italy who have temporarily stopped exporting it - but loo roll???
    I read this yesterday and it does make some sense!

Coronavirus: Why are people panic buying and why toilet paper? | World News | Sky News

23. Likes Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I read the same thing mouse
    The other thing is that loo roll packs are huge , it doesn’t take many to fill a shelf...so the shelves look emptier quicker iyswim so we react by getting it while we can!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I saw a post on twitter.

People were panic buying so i panicked and brought a frying pan. That would be me on a unsupervised trip to asda never mind panic buying

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I saw a post on twitter.

People were panic buying so i panicked and brought a frying pan. That would be me on a unsupervised trip to asda never mind panic buying

I had a bit of a panic buying spree a couple of weeks back and almost cleared the supermarket shelf of tinned beans and sausages.

It was nothing to do with coronavirus, it was just that they're my son's favourites and they were half price! He often takes them to work for lunch so it was worth stocking up

27. Likes loocyloo, Maza, Dragonfly liked this post