Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default World Book Day for adults too...

So, are any of you reading any decent books at the moment?

I am reading two books - I have never understood why or how when other people have told me they are reading more than one book. Anyway, I am reading Becoming Michelle Obama, which I bought for 99p from the charity shop. I have wanted to read it for a while and so was really chuffed to find it for that price. It's a nice easy read. Then, I saw The Tattooist of Auschwitz for sale on amazon, and I have wanted to read that one for ages too. As it arrived I thought, I'll just read the first couple of lines, but then I couldn't put it down, so I am in the middle of two books. I read The Tattooist during the day (am being a bit indulgent at the moment) and then because I don't want to go to sleep on such an unpleasant subject I read Michelle Obama in bed.

Yesterday at the library I managed to pick up three books for 20p each in the for sale section. They are all chick lit Christmas novels, so I'll leave them until December.

Anyone recommendations?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooooo ... don't get me started ... I LOVE reading ... read 2 or 3 books a week! Mainly crime fiction with occasional chick lit to lighten the load!

I've just discovered a new author (to me) called Ruth Ware who writes psychological crime thrillers ... almost of the 'locked room' variety.

I've also been enjoying some 'old fashioned' detective stories written now, but based in the 1920s and 30s and all with female 'leads'.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, I'll look up that author. I like crime thrillers, but only if they are written primarily for women (stereotyping, sorry) - the crime thrillers DH reads are too gory for me. 'Girl on the Train' was my favourite.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can't do gory reads either!

Another crime author I've recently discovered is James Oswald. He has 2 series with different 'leads' but they slightly intermingle! At one point, one of the leads bosses says ' it seemed like a case for you, it had a whiff of the strange about it '!!! I can't put my finger on what the " strange ' is, but slightly supernatural I think ... and I don't usually do that type of book! But I'm enjoying these.

If you do like 'otherworldly' type books, there is a series by Ben Aaronvitch .. the first one is called 'Rivers of London' ... ( I was given it and thought it was a factual book and I really wasn't keen ... but then read it and everything else in the series! ) ... I won't give it away, but at one point someone says ... "you see those old men sleeping under the bridge?... they are actually trolls" .... and London it turns out has an entirely different population to what you might have thought! Very readable.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do need to read more i enjoy reading but just dont seem to get time.

I enjoyed neil gaiman american gods, anansi boys, good omens, i couldnt get into neverwhere.

I have been given the seven deaths of evelyn hardcastle by stuart turton and the familiars by stacey halls. Which i have seen other people on the internet recommend them.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought I would have loads of time to read in my retirement but in reality I rarely sit down during the day to read as I am gardening or crafting, open learning or out and about or attending a group. So it’s just evenings when I read as I have always done....but I seem to get tired earlier ...so I only manage a chapter before my eyes close before bed!
    I have decided that I will spend Saturday afternoon, when DH is usually watching sport in a reading activity from now on.

My favourite reading so far this year are:
    Kamila Shamsie - Home Fire
    Amor Towles - A gentleman in Moscow

This afternoon I am starting Stacey Dooley- on the frontline with women who fight back. I like her as a presenter, this was recommended to me so I am giving it a go.
    My book club has changed venues and days which is not so good for me, but good for everyone else, so until the light nights come when I can cycle to the group I have put it on hold. It is on the same evening as DH attends a camera club miles away so he needs the car. But I am taking this opportunity to read some non fiction books as we only read fiction or poetry.

11. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't decide if I like Stacey Dooley or not. I like the subjects in her shows, they are really interesting. Sometimes I think she gets a bit too opinionated and righteous, but other times I think she is great.

I'll look up those books too. DH is glued to sport today too.

13. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I love a good book thats how I unwind in the evenings, I used to read everything via my kindle but I missed the feel and smell of a book so have gone back to physical books just keeping the kindle for those rare holidays abroad where I can load a few on there.
    Last edited by Pixie dust; 07-03-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    Pixie Dust

15. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    I love a good book thats how I unwind in the evenings, I used to read everything via my kindle but I missed the feel and smell of a book so have gone back to physical books just keeping the kindle for those rare hotels abroad where I can load a few on there.
    That's what I do!
    I also have the kindle app on my phone for those times when I'm hanging around ( waiting for DD ) and have nothing to do!

17. Likes Maza liked this post