Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Good Morning!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Morning!

Good morning everyone!

Question of the day:

If you could go back in time and give the newly registered you one piece of advice, what would it be?

Mine would be, don’t feel guilty about making time for yourself throughout the day. I remember when I was first registered I would be on the go the whole time and felt I shouldn’t stop all day. It was exhausting! Now I don’t feel bad about sitting down with a cup of coffee while the children are playing happily and if they’re all asleep at the same time, I make the most of the opportunity to have a break. Over the years I’ve seen so many childminder friends run themselves ragged because they don’t make time for themselves. There aren’t many jobs where you work a ten hour day without a break, so don’t feel bad for looking after yourself

2. Likes Pixie dust, Maza, Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning ! That is so true Mouse after lunch we all have a little quiet time just so I can have 10 mins to relax with a cup of tea.

Mine would be 'Don't be afraid to say no to parents' In the past I have said yes to to requests that I haven't really wanted to do just because I didn't want to say no.
    Pixie Dust

4. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good morning.

I agree with the word no. Learn to say it snd dont feel guilty.

I also agree with taking time my little mindee playing independently using her imagination if she needs me she will tell me what to do. So cuppa it is and im drinking it warm

Its ds2 13th birthday so i need to factor in a rest
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

6. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy birthday to your DS Fussy.

My advice would be to get paid in advance.

Learn to say "Let me think about it and I'll get back to you" when parents request something.

I would agree with not working yourself ragged too. I used to do lots of arts and crafts/messy activities everyday which entailed lots of setting up and clearing up.

I also used to cook overly time consuming meals from scratch for both lunch and dinner, so I would advise people to have ideas on meals which are both healthy and convenient. Make the most of your freezer. Someone on here years ago enlightened me to the fact that even small portions for one could be frozen to be used for another day (for yourself or the mindees). I never used to freeze small portions - we would just nibble on them throughout the evening until they were all gone.

Oh, just thought of another. When parents are signing the contracts, I would spell out your expectations for behaviour at drop off and pick up. So, tell them that they cannot hang around for a chat/play or let the children get toys out again etc. It's so much harder to bring these issues up once they are happening.

8. Likes Dragonfly, loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, such good comments from everyone.if I could go back to the very start of childminding I would say “i’ll Let you know” when asked to do something for the parents rather then say yes without thinking it through and regretting it.

Also over the years I’ve learnt you’re special why your convenient for their needs ( not all but to most parents) so don’t put yourself out and bend over backwards all the time . Some the more you do the more they want. Not everyone though. Learn to say No.

I have never been paid in advance but would probably recommend this as Maza said.

Over the years I have been very lucky and had mostly terrific families.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good evening!

Hope everyone had a good day.

I agree with everyone about being paid in advance, making time for yourself and not saying yes to everything! Tied in with that is actually taking holiday! Even if you stay at home and do paperwork, having a few days without ( other people's ) little people around is essential to your well being.

11. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems as if we'd all tell ourselves pretty much the same things!

One of the best things I ever did was learn to say "Let me think about it and I'll get back to you". I'm so good at it now I automatically say it even when I know very well that I can do whatever they're asking

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's so funny Mouse!

Anyway, seeing as you got Pancake Day mixed up, I thought I would remind you that there are currently 301 days until Christmas. Have you started shopping yet?

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

Anyway, seeing as you got Pancake Day mixed up, I thought I would remind you that there are currently 301 days until Christmas. Have you started shopping yet?
    😂😂

I’m still looking for a pen that I bought DD for Christmas and put away somewhere safe. Maybe if I find it it can be the first present set aside for next Christmas

16. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    That's so funny Mouse!

That made me laugh!

A childminder I was talking to earlier, said she'd done all her minded children's Christmas presents .... everytime I try to get that organised is a cue for everyone to leave and new children to start!

18. Likes Maza liked this post