Do you listen to podcasts/youtube/radio?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you listen to podcasts/youtube/radio?

Do you listen to anything to distract you when doing housework? (Not when minding.)

I dabbled with podcasts a while ago but never really found anything which made me want to come back for more.

Yesterday I somehow came across Nadia Swahili (from Loose Women, amongst other things) and her husband on YouTube. I've only watched about three of her videos/podcasts but I really enjoyed them. Not heavy, really easy listening, nothing particularly new but some good tips and food for thought on relationships (mostly).

The ones I watched were the 'agony aunt agony uncle' section and some of the marriage ones. It just helps pass time when cooking or cleaning and is a nice change from music.

Any other recommendations? x

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been watching this family for years on You Tube!
    Mark’s mental health videos are enlightening and very honest. I love the ‘how to stay married so far’ too, DH and I watch them together on rainy days, great for opening up discussions. Their Hometime, fly on the wall to their life videos are refreshing, though sometimes noisy and annoyingly entertaining. They home tutor their girls and constantly worry about it, have interesting parenting philosophies but are a very close knit family. The girls are very eloquent and great at discussing and debating.

I love ‘Happy Place’ Lauren Laverne talks to inspiring people.
    ‘Shagged, married, annoyed’ - just makes me smile as I clean, Rosie and Chris Ramsey talk about life, parenthood etc..
    I tend to look for things that are fairly lighthearted, things to uplift my spirits and just make me smile.

I did unpack all my boxes to selected choices of Dessert Island discs, a little bit of music and talking is a good combination for me, I like the more light hearted folk.
    Hope the move went well Maza and you are enjoying opening all your boxes and reorganising!

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you watched the rugby one Maza? That can be very funny especially when Mike Tindall is on.

Other than catching clips of that on Instagram or Twitter i dont watch/listen to any.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fussy - DH watches the rugby one and it is very entertaining!

Floradora - I'm so glad someone else watches that family (obviously lots of people do)! Yes, I find Marks views really honest and interesting. Even DH said that he has a nice voice to listen to. He did chuckle at a couple of the things Mark said about Nadia when they were talking about what they find boring about each other, so maybe he'll start to watch them with me too.

We haven't moved yet Floradora. We move on Thursday this week. I'm very emotional about it - hence the need for distractions in terms of podcasts!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have radio on when childminding sometimes! I don’t know what a podcast is. I know what you tube is and use it occasionally

8. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dragonfly that made me laugh! I was late to the whole 'podcast' thing. From what I gather it's just people chatting on particular subjects - rather like a talk show but one that you can listen to rather than watch. Great for people who are commuting and can just pop on their headphones.

10. Likes loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I have radio on when childminding sometimes! I don’t know what a podcast is. I know what you tube is and use it occasionally
    Lol ... I don't really know about podcasts or use them!
    I sometimes use YouTube... mainly for the children ( it did help me fold down a buggy that I hadn't put down for years! )
    I've recently discovered the 'listen again' feature for bbc radio!

But I just have radio on usually! Or a CD! We do have a smart speaker with our music on ... but as I have wide range I like to listen to, and then I want to listen to whole album in order ... its easier to look at CD rack and put it on!
    I know! I'm a dinosaur!

12. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, thank you Maza I hadn’t a clue. No I don’t listen to them I put the radio on

14. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know we have mentioned podcasts etc on other posts, and we're always looking for new stuff to listen to.

Do any of you listen to Kathy Brodie? Simona used to mention her back in the busy days on the forum. I signed up to Kathy's website (for free of course) but have only just recently started listening to her. I get emails (fortnightly I think) with links to a video/interview with experts on a whole range of early years topics. The videos are free to watch for about 48 hours, so I don't get round to watching many of them, but I have to say, the ones I have watched have been great. Really good for cpd. I watched one this morning as I was hanging up the laundry and it has given me some great ideas for a little one who isn't talking as much as he perhaps should be.

16. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I know we have mentioned podcasts etc on other posts, and we're always looking for new stuff to listen to.

Do any of you listen to Kathy Brodie? Simona used to mention her back in the busy days on the forum. I signed up to Kathy's website (for free of course) but have only just recently started listening to her. I get emails (fortnightly I think) with links to a video/interview with experts on a whole range of early years topics. The videos are free to watch for about 48 hours, so I don't get round to watching many of them, but I have to say, the ones I have watched have been great. Really good for cpd. I watched one this morning as I was hanging up the laundry and it has given me some great ideas for a little one who isn't talking as much as he perhaps should be.
    Thanks for this I will have a look at Kathy's website.
    Pixie Dust

18. Likes Maza liked this post