Thread: Eastenders!

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Eastenders!

Well, DD said she wanted to watch Eastenders as we always turn it off and she wanted to know why ...

So ... for the first time in many a year ... over 10, probably at least 15 ... I watched Eastenders ... I didn't quite 'get' the current storylines... but OMGoodness ... so many actors STILL in it- some looking a fair bit older and still seemingly all acting out the same old same old storylines!!!

AND ... Dot Cotton is STILL in it!

Just had to share my amusement!

Ps ... DD said it was rubbish and she didn't need to watch it again!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't watched it in years and years. Funnily enough though, something made me think of 'Lofty' the other day! Didn't he agree to marry Michelle Fowler but she decided that she didn't love him and so didn't go ahead with it? I almost googled it to jog my memory. No idea what made me think of him!

I can't stand it now. I think it is too shouty and violent. I do still watch Corrie though. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Brookside.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its only on tele here is my brother is visiting from Australia. Its very embarrassing to admit that he is a fan.

In fairness we dont watch any soap

Though i remember probably about 20 years ago i was addicted to an new zealand soap shortland soap and an American soap the bold and beautiful the last one was so awful it was addictive
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

4. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So, I just had to google Lofty after this post! Apparently he made a comeback for one episode earlier this year. He turned up for Dr Legg's funeral with Mary the punk. If I had known that I would have tuned in for that episode.

Is it me or were the soaps just more innocent in those days, and more appealing for the whole family? We all used to sit around and watch the Sunday pmnibus of EastEnders. I particularly remember the episode where the father of Michelle's baby was revealed. That was a good one!

I was watching Corrie last night and that is getting more and more violent. It makes me so sad.

I didn't watch The Bold and the Beautiful Fussy, but I know lots of people who did.

Now, my guilty pleasures are reality tv shows on large families. I love Counting On (The Duggar family), Kate Plus 8 and Outdaughtered. DH just rolls his eyes.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Its only on tele here is my brother is visiting from Australia. Its very embarrassing to admit that he is a fan.

In fairness we dont watch any soap

Though i remember probably about 20 years ago i was addicted to an new zealand soap shortland soap and an American soap the bold and beautiful the last one was so awful it was addictive

Oooo, I used to love Shortland Street!

I have a little watch of Home and Away every now again ... ( mainly cos I used to live/ work in Palm Beach/Northern Beaches of Sydney and it's interesting to see how places are changing! ) but don't watch any other soap.

I agree Maza, they do all seem to be more violent these days whenever I catch a few minutes of a soap.

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I watch to relax for an hour so dont find soaps relaxing I feel they are more considered hard hitting, gritty, controversial not much light relief. Also because they are on all the time theres no real suspense we had to wait months to find out who shot jr

Maza it wasnt the bold and beautiful it was Sunset beach i watched it was so awful but good
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I watch to relax for an hour so dont find soaps relaxing I feel they are more considered hard hitting, gritty, controversial not much light relief. Also because they are on all the time theres no real suspense we had to wait months to find out who shot jr

Maza it wasnt the bold and beautiful it was Sunset beach i watched it was so awful but good
    I remember when it was a big story line when Arthur Fowler stole the Christmas club money! Can you imagine that being a big hit now, lol!

Deidrie Barlow's affair with Mike Baldwin, well that was just totally gripping!

I actually can't remember who shot JR now...

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll admit to watching Home and Away and Neighbours Not religiously, but it’s often my chill time at the end of the day when the children have all gone home. Australian soaps, a cup of coffee and peace...bliss!

Eastenders used to be very popular when I was a student. I can remember us all gathering in the common room to find out who was the father of Michelle’s baby!

My guilty pleasure now is Say Yes to the Dress. It’s so unlike anything I’d normally watch, but I love it

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I actually can't remember who shot JR now...
    Kristin - Sue Ellens sister

15. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure at the time they were selling t-shirts at our local market saying 'I shot JR'!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loved reading through the thread, brought back memories of programs I had long forgotten about...... Shortland street and my favourite at that time was Sons and daughters I don't really watch any of the soaps anymore apart from Holby.
    Pixie Dust

18. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixie Dust - now I'm singing the theme tune to Sons and Daughters!

I also liked the theme tune to Howards Way.

Crossroads (only remember Benny), Young Doctors, The Cedar Tree, Eldorado...

Not a soap, but the other day DH and I both came across an old episode of Heart to Heart. It was terrible, but the theme tune took us both right back!

I've also just finished watching a re-run of one of my favourites - Tenko!

20. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone remember a soap called Families? I think it was from the early 90s. It was pretty awful! Jude Law was in it, but it seems to have been wiped from his acting history!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do Mouse, it rings a bell. Don't think I ever watched it though.

Still singing 'Sons and Daughters' theme tune.

Do you remember when Neighbours and Home and Away were shown twice a day? If you were off school ill you could watch the morning show, but other than that you watched the 5.35 show of Neighbours followed by the 6.00 show of Home and Away. Those were the days with Bouncer the Dog and Kylie and Jason.

I do wonder if the soaps ought to be after the watershed these days.

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Does anyone remember a soap called Families? I think it was from the early 90s. It was pretty awful! Jude Law was in it, but it seems to have been wiped from his acting history!
    I dowasnt it on channel 5. Wasnt it that bad they killed off the entire family to try and increase viewers?

Who remembers Eldorado, Albion market. I must have been addicted to austrailian soaps so young doctors, the flying doctors, home and away, neighbours etc.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, Albion Market! I didn't watch it, but my grown up sister-in-law did, along with Crossroads. Her house was always cosy and homely and so just hearing the names of those soaps make me nostalgic!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Falcon Crest, Knotts Landing, Generations... I don't remember watching any of them, but the titles were household names. I am known for having a great memory when it comes to totally useless things.

I'll remember some more soon no doubt.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember Eldorado ... one of my brothers friends was in it ... cast because he spoke fluent French and English!

I loved sons and daughters too!

28. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dallas, dynasty, the colbys.

I remember me and my brother singing the actors names to the dallas theme tune

I wonder why i stopped watching the soaps as i used too

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dallas, dynasty, the colbys.

I remember me and my brother singing the actors names to the dallas theme tune

I wonder why i stopped watching the soaps as i used too
    Lol! That sounds like something me and my siblings would have done! Simple pleasures!