Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default JULY! 2023!

Oh my!

we are more than half way through the year now!

How is everyone doing? It's cold here today, with swathes of heavy cold rain! I've been at school helping this morning, and have a pile of stuff now at home to get ready for the new month.

any exciting plans for July? or for the rest of summer? I'm trying to pin down my holiday parents as to what care they want and when for the summer holidays - I ask them to book it in, and then they pay for it, and once paid for, I don't swap it around or refund ( unless it suits me! ) but until I know who is coming when, I can't really plan.

We're going to be looking at the book 'The Pig in the Pond' for the next few weeks - I love it, very funny and rhyming. I was planning on lots of waterplay outside in the sun, and some farm trips, but I don't think I can fit the farm in! It is a couple of childrens last few weeks, and once they've said what they want to do/who they want to see and some things we have to do, there just aren't enough days left I'm not ready for them to leave yet!

2. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Afternoon!

The children looked all autumnal today when they arrived - with coats and long sleeved tops and long trousers! It's cold and very windy here. We haven't been able to venture out at all today because we had to wait in for one who was having a settling in session at school. then, shortly after he arrived one of the others fell asleep, so I popped him in bed and now we're waiting for him to wake up before we can go anywhere. The third one has now gone down for her nap. Don't think we'll make it out at all though, as it's my early finish on Mondays - I finish at 4.00.

Oh, I had forgotten all about Pig in the Pond! I've not read that for years. We are doing 'Alien Tea on Planet Zum Zee'. FloraDora recommended it on here a few years back and I hadn't heard of it before. We're going to be making pizzas tomorrow (pizzas in the story).

Do any of you watch 'Not Going Out' (comedy with Lee MacK)? We really enjoy that show and are working our way through the new series in the evenings.

4. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lol ... I've got Alien Tea sitting looking at me from the table in front of me!, it's super.

Sounds like a slightly frustrating day Maza!

I used to watch Not Going Out, but I got bored with it. To be honest, I don't watch much tv at all at the moment. I just read. My book club book for this month is 'The Overstory' by Richard Powers. It's about a group of separate people and their connections to trees and then all about the trees and sort of what good they do for our planet and how amazing they are. I "think" it's a good book, but it's a hard read and a bit long winded. I'm determined to finish it, and have a huge pile of other books waiting to be read!

6. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been cold here too, we ended up with our coats on this afternoon when we went to school. To be honest I can't actually believe it's July already! We haven't got much planned for the next couple of weeks. As far as the summer holidays go I think I know what most families are doing as I have had a few of the term time only ones book in extra sessions it seems I will be crazy busy one day then quiet the next. I am having a week off towards the end of the summer holidays when we will be heading up to Yorkshire for the week.

I don't know either of those children's books so will be off looking them up shortly.

I have just finished watched 'Not going out' I do like it, some of them are really funny but others are just silly. Like you Loocyloo I don't watch a lot of television but its Wimbledon time and I do enjoy watching that. Your book club sounds fun, do you actually all meet up in person to discuss the books or is it more online? I love a good book but the one I am reading now is taking me a little longer as It's not as good as I anticipated 'Miss Austin' it just seems a bit slow but I have another book to read by the same author next.

Have a good week everyone ...it will be Friday before we know it
    Pixie Dust

8. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    It's been cold here too, we ended up with our coats on this afternoon when we went to school. To be honest I can't actually believe it's July already! We haven't got much planned for the next couple of weeks. As far as the summer holidays go I think I know what most families are doing as I have had a few of the term time only ones book in extra sessions it seems I will be crazy busy one day then quiet the next. I am having a week off towards the end of the summer holidays when we will be heading up to Yorkshire for the week.

I don't know either of those children's books so will be off looking them up shortly.

I have just finished watched 'Not going out' I do like it, some of them are really funny but others are just silly. Like you Loocyloo I don't watch a lot of television but its Wimbledon time and I do enjoy watching that. Your book club sounds fun, do you actually all meet up in person to discuss the books or is it more online? I love a good book but the one I am reading now is taking me a little longer as It's not as good as I anticipated 'Miss Austin' it just seems a bit slow but I have another book to read by the same author next.

Have a good week everyone ...it will be Friday before we know it
    oooo Where in Yorkshire are you going? I live in North Yorkshire.

My book club meets up in person. it was set up at the start of 2022 by someone who had moved to the area, but she then moved away again! there are about 10 of us now, all joined pretty much by knowing someone else who went. We try very hard not to discuss the books until we actually meet! sometimes we can talk about them all evening, other times we don't talk about them much at all! we recently read a couple that we keep going back to and talking about! so I recommend 'Starveacre' by Andrew Micheal Hurley - it is a moving, yet disturbing story- i don't know how else to describe it !!! it is apparently being made into a film. And also 'Ella Minnow Pea' can't remember who it is by, but an island who start to lose letters of the alphabet off a sign, and so they have to do without them !!! I really enjoy the book club. Sometimes we veer off the subject of books, but usually spend a good couple of hours talking about books and following wherever the rabbit hole leads us! And it is good to be meeting people who mostly just know me and see me as 'me' not 'Loocyloo the childminder' or 'Loocyloo X & Ys mum' etc.
    Miss Austin sounds interesting. I shall add it to my list! let me know what you think when you have finished it.

10. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Pixie dust, I totally agree about some of the 'not going out' being just silly. We watched one last night which was truly awful, but then we watched the one when they were all on the train and it was great again.

Not heard of any of those books loocyloo. They sound very different.

I've just finished one of Louis Theroux's books. It was his diary from lockdown. It's so funny how you forget bits of what went on, and how we have all just moved on. Louis has a wonderful vocabulary, so I love reading/watching his stuff, even though I need a dictionary in my other hand!

We're in the process of choosing a new mattress - way overdue! We went to try some out at the weekend, but by the end of it they were all just morphing into one! They are so expensive, so you don't want to get it wrong. One thing we do know is that we HATE memory foam!

12. Likes Pixie dust, loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

oooo Where in Yorkshire are you going? I live in North Yorkshire.

North Yorkshire.....
    Pixie Dust

14. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We're in the process of choosing a new mattress - way overdue! We went to try some out at the weekend, but by the end of it they were all just morphing into one! They are so expensive, so you don't want to get it wrong. One thing we do know is that we HATE memory foam!
    We should probably change our mattress soon as it's about the age they recommend replacing but I absolutely love my current mattress, its so comfy and has an anti-roll system so I never disturb DH when I go to bed as he is often in bed before me, he will often say 'What time did you come to bed? " Just a shame it doesn't have an anti snore feature too
    We actual need a new sofa as ours is in a bit of a state now and we have had it for years but it took such a long time to find this one that I dread go around the shops searching for a new one.
    Pixie Dust

16. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we need a new sofa too! Well, restuffing the back cushions would probably work, but I don't know if that's a thing? The two back cushions have totally lost their shape - partly because the dog lies on top of them to sleep, and then stands on them when he is looking out of the window.

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We need a new mattress too! .. we went to look.... this morphed into buying a new bed ... but whilst we found the bed we like, we can't find one with a headboard we like
    We don't like memory foam either!

Oooo, Pixie, you'll have to wave at me when you're in North Yorkshire! I live about 45 mins from York, 45 mins from Scarborough and 45 mins from Saltburn ( which whilst not strictly North Yorkshire, is my favourite beach! ) on the edge of the moors.

20. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooo, Pixie, you'll have to wave at me when you're in North Yorkshire! I live about 45 mins from York, 45 mins from Scarborough and 45 mins from Saltburn ( which whilst not strictly North Yorkshire, is my favourite beach! ) on the edge of the moors
    We are staying at a holiday cottage up the top, I think Stokesley is the nearest supermarket.
    Last edited by Pixie dust; 04-07-2023 at 07:35 PM.
    Pixie Dust

22. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    We are staying at a holiday cottage up the top, I think Stokesley is the nearest supermarket.
    Ooo enjoy. I'm at the bottom of the moors
    Not far to Saltburn! Danby National Park is that way too, and Whitby.
    I don't really know Stokesley...DD has danced in a couple of competitions at the high school, and we show cars at an annual car show there, but never left the show field

24. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in Pickering recently Loocyloo and I did think of you being close by!

We've got a lovely day here today. It's my day off (so I've spent all day thinking it's Saturday!) and I've managed to get all the washing done and dried on the line. I've also pottered round in the garden and tidied up the flower tubs. We're supposed to have rain and thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon so I thought I'd better make the most of it today!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

26. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I was in Pickering recently Loocyloo and I did think of you being close by!

We've got a lovely day here today. It's my day off (so I've spent all day thinking it's Saturday!) and I've managed to get all the washing done and dried on the line. I've also pottered round in the garden and tidied up the flower tubs. We're supposed to have rain and thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon so I thought I'd better make the most of it today!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
    Lol! That is really close Mouse! Only 10 mins down the road! Retrospective wave to you! Did you go on the train?

It has been a beautiful day today. DH and I have spent it wandering around York whilst DD had some surgery. All ok now, just 6-8 week recovery. We were pleased it wasn't raining and we didn't need to spend all day sitting in hospital waiting room!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

One of our books this month was going to be The Enormous Turnip. I love this story. Has anyone seen turnips in their supermarket recently? I know it's not the season for them - but these days it doesn't seem to matter as we can buy most things all year round. However, I can't find turnips at the moment...

29. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm... not sure I've seen turnips for a long time. You might find a swede ... and in fact, my sister in law calls swedes turnips!

Maybe you could use a sweet potato?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks loocyloo, but it's got to be a turnip! It's not for a recipe, it's a prop for the story, so it wouldn't feel right using something that wasn't a turnip for the enormous turnip story. Maybe I'll have to save it for later in the year!

There used to be a story called The Enormous Watermelon, which was pretty much the same story, but it's out of print and selling for silly prices online.

32. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo, speedy recovery to your DD X

34. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Loocyloo, speedy recovery to your DD X
    Thank you. Xxx

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just thought ... could you make a turnip? Papermache on a balloon? With the children?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast