Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default present ideas for a 1 yr old!

I know, you would think a childminder with 30+ years of experience with children would have plenty of ideas for a birthday present idea for a one year old! But i'm stumped this time!

I usually buy all 'my' one year olds 'squeaky/hide & find eggs' OR the galt pop up toy ... BUT this little chap ( turning 1 next month ) is the 2nd child I have from this family, and has 3 older siblings, and I know has a multitude of toys ( plus I gave his sibling the squeaky eggs when he turned 1 ) When he is at my house, he just loves crawling around/pulling to stand and exploring. The treasure basket is his favourite activity, or being outside.

I don't want to give him a book ( all minded children got books for Christmas ) nor clothes. Any ideas? OR do I give him his OWN set of squeaky eggs?

Thanks

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I find gifts for mindees quite a challenge, so I now buy likely gifts as and when I see things, rather than waiting for birthdays and Christmas to creep up on me.

I’ve had some good stuff from Tiger, such as characterful, chunky wooden pull-along toys, cuddlies or cushions.

One year olds are so difficult to buy for, especially as most toys are safety-marked for 3+. The biggest problem I find is that I hardly know them, as 1yo's are frequently new starters. TBH I doubt most children even notice their first birthday, so it’s largely a matter of parent-pleasing.

If it’s any consolation, I have a similar dilemma. I’ve a new starter next month who will have her first birthday within two weeks of starting. By that time, I'll have spent barely ten hours with the child: quite possibly less, as mum needs to get her finger out if she’s ever going to arrange any settling visits (a classic case of putting things off until Christmas and new year are out of the way.)

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Stacking-...+up+wooden+toy

This has been an all time favourite for 10 months - 2 years children for some time. Great hand eye experience, colour matching, strength, counting, sucking etc.. and for older children pushing down hard and watching it fly!!

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Stacking-...+up+wooden+toy

This has been an all time favourite for 10 months - 2 years children for some time. Great hand eye experience, colour matching, strength, counting, sucking etc.. and for older children pushing down hard and watching it fly!!
    This is the other toy i buy 1 yr olds! i love it! i know this family already have several of these ... their dog loves it too! ( i think grandad has also cut lengths of dowel to fit to replace the dog chewed ones! )

7. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably too late now loocyloo , haven’t been online much at all over Christmas and the new year. I have recently bought my turning ones a mug tree and bangles , Magnet wands and jingle bells , and a gingerbread man story basket ( made the ginger play dough added the book , cutters and a few other bits)

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Probably too late now loocyloo , haven’t been online much at all over Christmas and the new year. I have recently bought my turning ones a mug tree and bangles , Magnet wands and jingle bells , and a gingerbread man story basket ( made the ginger play dough added the book , cutters and a few other bits)

Aww, those are lovely ideas ... i shall note them down. I was shopping and spotted a play 'smart phone' that lights up and plays tunes, rings etc ... so as i know he is obsessed by mums phone and loves all my old/play phones, i have bought him that!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo, I bought the galt wooden pegs toy the other day for my 1 year old. I had been searching the forum for ideas for toys for one year olds and found this post! I hadn't seen this toy before. Anyway, it has been a great hit and is the perfect level of challenge for her, plus, the two year olds are enjoying matching the colours and making the pegs pop out. Unfortunately, I suspect my dog will love it too. Thanks for the recommendation!

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post