Likes Likes:  22
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default New years resolutions

Have you made any yet?

I dont normally but this year im determined to cut down on my single use plastic.

Im also determined to put me first as well i have got caught up in making sure everyone else is sorted i have neglected myself.

What are yours if you are making any.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Same as always - declutter and don't buy any more resources unless they are absolutely needed. So far so good. I have already sorted out a cupboard and I haven't bought anything unnecessary yet

4. Likes Maza, loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been reflected on this today as this year both my husband and I turn 50 (not sure how it has come around so quickly) I feel like I want to set ourselves a challenge of some kind for the year but no idea. what personally I am going to try and cutdown on my screen time as at times I find myself scrolling through instagram more than I need to really. On the work front I want to try and be a bit more organised with paperwork etc and try and fit it in to my working day rather than evenings/weekends which will free up time do things for myself!
    Pixie Dust

6. Likes loocyloo, Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Same here .... i want to try and reduce my use of single use plastics and also cut down on screen time!

I want to try and do even less paperwork! I have pared it down to what feels like the basics, but i want to try and do fewer obs! I've got better as sometimes just putting a photo on online obs without any detail other than where/who, but need to refine more.

I also intend to buy no new resources except to replenish art stuff! ( might make an exception for charity shop finds! ) I also have a plan of not buying any new clothes unless essential! I have no room left in my wardrobe and i don't know why i do buy stuff ... as i don't actually like shopping and don't really go!

I want to carry on with my regular resolution of meeting up with old friends from years ago.

Goodness me ... that's turned into a list and a half!

8. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Decluttering im good at my friends call me in if they need to be ruthless.

I rarely buy new resources except for art supplies.

Screen time yes i probably need to cut down but that is harder it shouldnt be but it is. How did my life get to be on a phone.
    I dont have lots of notifications though apps like fb Instagram have to wait till i open them. Dh has everything pinging snd it drives me mad.

I made the first step of making time for myself i went for a run okay brisk walk. I have kickstarted the couch to 5k. I cant brlieve this time last year i ran 10k and now would struggleto do 1k.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust, FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My usual ones:

1. Stop making lists.
    3. Learn to count.
    C. Be more consistent.
    2. Do things in the correct order.

12. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember you doing 10k Fussy. Most impressive. I also want to get back into running. I went for a run today with DD. Her natural pace is faster than mine and so she runs ahead. It forces me to run slightly faster and not to give in and walk because I have to keep her within my sight for safety.

I also need to do some exercises to look after my back. I put it out earlier this year and ended up needing physio. She very politely hinted that my core strength and muscle tone in my gluts was rubbish. I want to do the plank several times a week. If I just did it for one minute several times a week it would make a huge difference. Why can't I fit in one minute? I don't even need to add on warm up time/getting changed etc. I'm determined to fit in that one minute three times a week. Anyone want to join me?

Looking back to last year, I said that I wanted to find two new recipes which would become part of our 'go to' everyday collection. I haven't managed that! DH tends to do the majority of the cooking now that he works from home and so I haven't had the same drive. I will try again though this year.

I also wanted to be kinder to people, lol. I think I have achieved that one at work.

14. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

loocyloo - out of interest, do you feel that your pared down paperwork has affected the service you offer?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    loocyloo - out of interest, do you feel that your pared down paperwork has affected the service you offer?
    no!

i used to arrange to see parents once or twice a year and show them their childs LJs ... since my obs have been online, i email it each month and they respond or not!

my planning is still the same ... i have a 'book a month' that has activities/ideas etc already planned, along with resources needed and any songs/colouring sheets etc. i might need to print a few bits out, but that's it! I planned 3 years worth ( it took 3 yrs! ) and now I am just rolling with it. This month i decided i really didn't like the book i had chosen last time round, and so have spent a few hours planning a new book, but had all the resources and have only had to make a couple of things. Then each week we have general things we do, and places we might go and i have a 'timetable/plan' on a whiteboard by the door, along with a menu plan. I find that takes moments to do ( and usually changes during the week anyway )

in theory, i spend half an hour on a friday afternoon whilst children sleep/play quietly, putting bits in childs LJ, planning the following week etc ... usually it seems to be a sat morning activity.

I still write a daily diary for each child under 4. i'm faster at handwriting than i am on the computor, and an electronic diary didn't work for me. I've tried to pair down what i write to basics, but don't always manage it, as i like parents to have a feel about our day, not just a list of activities. but i write it over meal/sleep times and its not that time consuming. i always ask parents if they want a daily diary, and they all say yes! but i do like it, and it helps me to look back and see what we did when, or what someone did or didn't like. It is the one thing i would lose if i could though!

my accounts still seem to take me ages! even though i intend to do them every month, it doesn't always happen!

to be honest,apart from paring down daily diaries, i don't know what else i could pare back! i do need to do less obs, but as they are online and pretty instant, they don't take long, and if i have a build up to do, i find it a good use of my time spent waiting for DD when dancing !

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I remember you doing 10k Fussy. Most impressive. I also want to get back into running. I went for a run today with DD. Her natural pace is faster than mine and so she runs ahead. It forces me to run slightly faster and not to give in and walk because I have to keep her within my sight for safety.

I also need to do some exercises to look after my back. I put it out earlier this year and ended up needing physio. She very politely hinted that my core strength and muscle tone in my gluts was rubbish. I want to do the plank several times a week. If I just did it for one minute several times a week it would make a huge difference. Why can't I fit in one minute? I don't even need to add on warm up time/getting changed etc. I'm determined to fit in that one minute three times a week. Anyone want to join me?
    Ds is so much quicker than me he runs to a certain place and then comes back to me

I will join you in the plank my core strength is non existence so it would be beneficial.

I watched a max Whitlock hiit work out i think i would be hospitalised if i tried as dd took one look and proceeded to do it

19. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So i made a real conscious effort with single use plastics. Admittedly some weeks are better than others. But i have made steps in the right direction.

Still need to make time for myself that does seem harder year upon year especially with the younger childrens sports.

Really do need to kick start my running back in or some sort of exercise routine again see making time for myself.

21. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Same here .... i want to try and reduce my use of single use plastics and also cut down on screen time!

I want to try and do even less paperwork! I have pared it down to what feels like the basics, but i want to try and do fewer obs! I've got better as sometimes just putting a photo on online obs without any detail other than where/who, but need to refine more.

I also intend to buy no new resources except to replenish art stuff! ( might make an exception for charity shop finds! ) I also have a plan of not buying any new clothes unless essential! I have no room left in my wardrobe and i don't know why i do buy stuff ... as i don't actually like shopping and don't really go!

I want to carry on with my regular resolution of meeting up with old friends from years ago.

Goodness me ... that's turned into a list and a half!
    HEY HO!

2020 and still the same resolutions! Still trying to do less obs, but sometimes I find that the children just do loads of amazing things!

I didn't buy many clothes last year - mainly to just replace what had worn out. Proof being that i've just gone through wardrobe/drawers and have only found one top to go to charity shop! I bought a few resources, but also passed a few on! i have a few more resources in cupboard that I am planning on rehoming!

Still trying to meet up with old friends !

I am using less single use plastic, but could do better!

and new for this year - eat more healthily! I seem to be eating on the run alot of the time, so need to sort this out! ( although the 4 tins of choc biscuits, several boxes of chocs, several tubes of sweets and a few bottles of wine i got from minded children need dealing with first I'm sure the children will help on the biscuit front! )

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    So i made a real conscious effort with single use plastics. Admittedly some weeks are better than others. But i have made steps in the right direction.

Still need to make time for myself that does seem harder year upon year especially with the younger childrens sports.

Really do need to kick start my running back in or some sort of exercise routine again see making time for myself.

Have you been using the bees wax wrappers? Can you recommend any? ... I got some, but they were not very big, and not very useful overall! and i didn't find myself using them much - just using plastic tubs or foil!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I just read that I had wanted to look after my back more - and last night (New Year's Eve) I had a hot water bottle attached to my lower back because I had strained it again - so I guess I need to try again with that resolution!

I have another, slightly strange resolution...It was actually my resolution last year too but I only remembered to do it occasionally and so I need to build it in to my everyday routine...I need a 'new walk'. As in 'style' of walking. I saw myself on a video clip on our summer holiday and it just hit me that I had a real 'nothingy' kind of walk. Not feminine or assertive or professional or anything, just a fade into the background kind of walk. So, whenever I thought of it I would draw myself up, shoulders back etc and I quite enjoyed it. I told my family tonight over dinner as we were chatting about resolutions and much hilarity followed! I did my 'normal' walk for them and got constructive feedback and suggestions and then we all practised new walks, including walking with a book on our heads. It was like a finishing school!

Anyway, if nothing else it provided tonight's entertainment in our home!

25. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Have you been using the bees wax wrappers? Can you recommend any? ... I got some, but they were not very big, and not very useful overall! and i didn't find myself using them much - just using plastic tubs or foil!
    I loved them however they are not as indestructible as they made out. Or is that just my boys?

I was using foil but then i read that once its contaminated by food it doesn't get recycled.

So im going to start using paper sandwich bags and make some beeswax then i can choose the fabric and sizes.

I use need some motivation to buy the stuff.

Eating on the run is a nightmare here too. Its become easier to nip for fast food especially on a manic sunday. But im struggling on healthy wholesome food when we are going from football to rugby to rugby. We dont get time to get home some weeks.

Maybe we need to inspire each other

27. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maza i think you win the award for most unique resolution

29. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I loved them however they are not as indestructible as they made out. Or is that just my boys?

I was using foil but then i read that once its contaminated by food it doesn't get recycled.

So im going to start using paper sandwich bags and make some beeswax then i can choose the fabric and sizes.

I use need some motivation to buy the stuff.

Eating on the run is a nightmare here too. Its become easier to nip for fast food especially on a manic sunday. But im struggling on healthy wholesome food when we are going from football to rugby to rugby. We dont get time to get home some weeks.

Maybe we need to inspire each other
    Hmm... I've been using paper bags and also the inner bags from cereal boxes. ... I might give wax wraps another go.

I have a couple of 800/500ml thermos flask/pot things and tend to have a selection of meals in freezer to zap and take with us! ..( if I remember! ) .. pasta and assorted sauces, noodles and assorted sauces, thick chunky soups and although I'm slightly concerned about food safety with keeping rice warm ... egg fried rice / curry and rice / chilli and rice /risotto.
    I tried baked potato/ sausage and mash, but as generally I find meals need a sauce to stop them drying out, I'm not finding potato works very well as it just absorbs all the liquid and turns to mush!

What I'd really like is a thermos flask that was square or 'flat' like a sandwich box! I find DD in particular doesn't like a deep tub of food and only eats the top half ( if that ) yet, if I've cooked and just put her meal in a plastic tub ( wrapped in a tea towel! ) ready for her to eat the minute I pick her up ... she eats it all because she can see it and choose which bit to eat!

Good luck xx