Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When do you open your presents?

Do you open them as soon as you get up?

We did as kids and that is what I have always done with DD up until a couple of years ago. Then I lost one of DD's presents and didn't remember where I had hidden it until Dinner time, when it came to me out of the blue. It was really nice opening one later in the day and so last year we held one back until dinner time again. We also held back the stocking until later in the day too.

My sister-in-law has also changed the way they do things recently and said that they have a nice, slowish, special breakfast together and then wander in and open their gifts.

We don't put the presents under the tree until DD is asleep on Christmas eve. I always think it is such a shame that we can't enjoy the sight of the tree with the presents underneath for a little while longer.

When do you open yours?

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We always open as soon as we’re up...then we all go and have showers and then have breakfast together.
    Boys all go off and play while we make a start on lunch, then we generally have visitors in the afternoon.
    Super magical again this year as our youngest is two
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

3. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I grew up opening stockings on our own, then presents from under the tree as soon as we children were all awake ( my poor mum had often only been in bed for a short time! ) and then we had breakfast, played, had lunch, played ( Mum & Dad snoozed in chair! ), had tea ... ( but we always went to midnight mass, and were allowed to choose a present from under the tree ( usually from a relative or friend ) when we got home!

DH grew up having a shared sack with his siblings, that they were not allowed until after church, and then lunch, and then presents veeeerrrrrryyyyyy slowly! ( the first time MIL was with us for Christmas she was 'horrified' at how relaxed it was ( and that DS had a stocking ALL OF HIS OWN ! until DD arrived and they BOTH had their own! )

When our children were little we always encouraged them to open their stockings in OUR bed and then downstairs for presents under the tree and breakfast and the rest of the day, playing & eating.

since they have been a bit older, DS tends to open his stocking on his own when he wakes, then goes back to sleep! DD opens bits of hers, eats some chocolate and then comes into our bed to open the rest/show us! we eventually go downstairs for breakfast, but not till 11ish. then we get dressed and then we do presents from under the tree. 'lunch' is about 4ish ....

our day starts late though, as apart from a few years when both DD & DS were little and it didn't work, we have always gone to midnight mass ( with children having a sleep before hand until they were old enough not to need one! ) and then home for a quick sandwich/mince pie and into bed! we might or might not open a present from under the tree ... depends on how anyone feels!

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

My mum was Austrian so we did it the Scandivanian way when I was a child. The tree was never put up until Christmas Eve when my dad would disappear for the afternoon and when he was finished us children would go in with mum to a wonderful, magical sight of a lit and decorated tree! Then dad would play the piano and we would sing a few carols then present opening began. It was a leisurely affair as we watched as one person opened theirs and it was the priviledge of the youngest child to hand out the presents ( that was such an honour). When they were all opened we had a light supper then my parent's friends from across the road (the mum was also Austrian) would come and we partied till way after midnight. As children I think we stayed up till about 10 but it felt like the middle of the night! Sometimes we would go over to their house but I remember it mostly at ours. I carried the tradition on with my children but when my mum died I couldn't bear to do it that way so changed to the English way of Christmas morning but still think the other way was more special.

7. Likes Maza, loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We open our on christmas day morning.

They get pjs on their beds christmas eve but all present opening is done in the morning. Mine dont get lots so i doubt i would be able to make them wait
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

In the past we’d get up about 8ish then go downstairs to a mad frenzy of opening presents. Things are changing each year. Tonight 2 sons are currently in different local pubs with friends (asked permission before accepting invites). So tomorrow morning will be interesting. Merry Christmas everyone.

11. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post