Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Other meals on Christmas day

Other than the main food event, what else do you eat on Christmas day?

I can't remember what we have from one year to the next when it comes to breakfast. I think DH and DD usually have some salmon. Just asked DH and he said last year we had parma ham and poached eggs and DD swore we had Weetabix!

We usually have our main meal early/mid afternoon and stretch it out with a rest/fun in between each course. Then in the evening we have a buffet - Lots of cheeses amongst other yummy, warm stuff. I love that bit - it's so cosy even though it means Christmas day is mostly done.

When we were young my mum would do the same but also heat up a curry and cook some rice in the evening for supper. Don't know where we put it all back then! Also don't know where she found the energy, even if it was just heating it up. Breakfast was a non event though.

What do you all have for breakfast, lunch/dinner?

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We normally have some form of cooked breakfast eggs/bacon/toast etc then we have our Christmas dinner about 2pm then we too have a buffet later in the evening which my youngest who is nearly 21 says its the best bit about Christmas, he loves having all the pickles/cheeses etc that I don't buy the rest of the year
    Pixie Dust

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Last year I remember having for breakfast croissants, scrambled egg & smoked salmon.
    For dinner we start with prawn cocktail (my fav) at 1ish.
    Wait to about 4pm for our turkey dinner then plan to have pudding about 7pm but we always end up having cold meats, cheeses and pickles and bread sauce (another big favourite).
    Oh I do love my Christmas dinner.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting to feel festive reading your posts! x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We have scrambled egg and smoked salmon croissants for breakfast late morning and then Christmas Dinner about 4ish and thats usually it.

We always had turkey sandwiches in the evening growing up but i don't have room now!

I think we used to have breakfast early, then lunch around lunchtime and then need tea, but as children have got older, we've moved meals later and i prefer it

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We usually have oatcakes with bacon and sausage.

Dinner is usually about 2/3pm

Then there will be a little buffet of cheese crackers prawns etc.

Loocyloo we always had cold turkey sandwiches as a child and never do that now.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We usually are up early and have a cup of tea and a biscuit ( out of the Christmas biscuit tin) on waking....that’s when I put the turkey in.
    Open presents...then I have croissants ( bought from the local garden centre frozen - they are huge and light and delicious) and fruit. We eat these when we want, as this is check the turkey, explore gadgets, play Christmas present music, shower, talk to family not with us via FaceTime time.

Dinner is 2 ish...starting with aperitifs and champagne, not at the table, instead of starters, relaxed style.
    Lots of other courses, small portions to make sure we get through it all.

Usually this is enough, along with nibbling on nuts and chocolate, but cheese and continental meats, olive bread (DH speciality, made into a savoury bread pudding on Boxing Day when we don’t eat it) is in the fridge for folks if they feel peckish later, though it is rarely taken and so becomes part of Boxing Day tea.
    At some point a nice cup of tea and Christmas cake also fills us up, usually during evening board game sessions.

So I only cook one meal on Christmas Day. Like others, as a child we had a cooked breakfast, big dinner and turkey sandwiches for supper.....but I don’t think we grazed as much, just some shelled nuts that took longer to crack than to eat.

12. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post