Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DD's first sleepover tomorrow

DD, 9, is going on her first sleepover tomorrow.

She will be sleeping at her best friend's house. Bless her, she kind of arranged it herself because she has got a three night school journey coming up in March and she really wants to practise being away from home. I wanted her to do it too, and was building up the courage to ask her friend's mum (felt a bit cheeky), but she took it into her own hands.

She has been looking forward to it, but the last couple of days she has been asking me if I cried on my first sleepover, so I think butterflies are starting to kick in! My sister got a phonecall at 2am because my nephew just couldn't settle on his first sleepover, and another mum was telling me that she got a call at 11pm. I've posted before about DD's separation anxiety, so fingers crossed.

She's only spent a couple of nights away from home without us, but she was too young to remember. She usually gets upset if DH is out at bedtime or away for the night - strangely enough she was fine the last couple of times I have been up to Manchester for the night on my own (charming!).

It's such a big thing for her, and I really hope it goes well. Wish us luck!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Aw, what a big step for both of you xx

We were always quite lucky when ours were little as they often had sleepovers at the in-laws. We still had to go and collect them sometimes, but mostly they were ok. It meant that by the time they had sleepovers with friends they were quite used to it...and so were we! It still didn’t stop me from spending all night wondering if they were ok.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Maza it'll be a long night for you also. Fingers crossed and please let us know how it goes.

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s a hard thing for some to do. My eldest daughter loved having friends to stay but didn’t like going to their house. I was much the same when I was younger. A girl in my youngest daughter class in primary school cried nearly everyday from reception to yr 6, going into school. When it came to the school trip to Isle of Wight for 5 days, the parents arranged their annual holidays so she didn’t have to go. Hope your dd has a good time

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We dropped her off at her friend's house, she ran in excitedly and we had to call her back for a kiss.

She had an amazing time and didn't want to come home when I went for her at 1pm this afternoon.

I cannot believe this is the same little girl who screamed and clung to me on her first few mornings at nursery. I am so relieved and pleased for her. DH thinks I'm crazy because I am also a little 'sad' as my baby is growing up.

The saddest part of all though, is that I now have to return the favour and have her friend over for a sleepover at ours

9. Likes moggy, Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Sylvia, that poor girl, and how stressful for her parents! I wonder what became of her.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Maza I'm delighted it went really well. And yes you now have 'pay back'. I do not like having sleepovers especially in the early teen years with gadgets etc.

12. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So glad it went well for your DD Maza.

DD has a friend who had slept over at multiple relatives and friends since she was little , but about 3 years ago, got really panicked about it and couldn't manage it. The school residential was hard, and her mum thought she was going to have to go and get her every night, and then it got worse.
    Mum and Child really wanted sleepovers to 'work' , so she came to us ... we went out and exhausted the girls, then late to bed ... both asleep in seconds and when she woke it was morning and pretty much since then, been OK.
    DD happily goes to sleepovers, but lately, every other one, I end up going first thing to pick her up because she feels or has been sick! ... mainly I think, due to lots of sweets/midnight feasts and tiredness!

Ps ... I don't mind one child sleeping over ... it's a house full that I loathe!

14. Likes Maza liked this post