Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who still has a Sunday Roast?

Do you religiously have a roast dinner every Sunday? We don't. Sometimes we will have one mid week.

Growing up we always did, as did all the neighbours - no exceptions. We would always have roast potatoes and gravy - they were the only things that never changed. We would alternate between beef, pork, lamb and chicken and then vegetables to match, or whatever was in season.

Has your roast evolved over time? Ours has, because more vegetables are available these days. Also because DH isn't from England he had a slightly different version of a roast dinner, and so we use some of his favourites. Some of the veggies that we have with our roasts these days which we definitely didn't have as children include roast courgettes, roast peppers, mange tout, roast butternut, gem squash, patty pans(sp?) and soya beans. More often than not we will have sweet potatoes or roast celeriac instead of roast potatoes.

As lovely as our new versions are, I do still love a good old fashioned roast. I love swede but no one else here does, but thankfully DH and DD are happy to have all the other hardy, less glamorous veg alternated with the newer veg. Today with our beef we are having sweetheart cabbage, green beans and parsnips. DH is making roast celeriac 'chips'. They are delicious.

I'm drooling now.

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I love a roast, my favourite being beef. DP isn’t really bothered so we don’t have it every week

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    I love a roast, my favourite being beef. DP isn’t really bothered so we don’t have it every week
    My favourite is beef too, with a rich gravy. Love it with horse radish sauce too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a roast each week, but rarely on a Sunday.

This weekend we had a Saturday evening roast. We had roast chicken with roast potatoes, peas, brussel sprouts and sweetcorn. I don’t normally do 2 veg of the same colour but broke the rule this week with sprouts and peas. We also had stuffing and Yorkshire puddings, which we have with every roast, no matter what the meat.

6. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I do love a roast dinner. We have one most weekends in the cold months. I love the smell of it cooking and the warmth the oven gives whilst cooking it. Today we had chicken, roast potatoes, sweetcorn, green beans and pigs in blankets and gravy. All plates almost licked clean.

8. Likes FloraDora, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We sometimes have a "Sunday" roast on a Friday evening as my daughters and grandchildren come for dinner and I know it's something that everyone will eat, we tend to have cauli & broccoli cheese bake as son in law won't eat any other veg - it's quite handy as I make a separate one for him and add pasta as he is intolerant to potato starch at the moment, I generally do carrots and peas as grandchildren will eat them. Sometimes we have different meat and I cook some chicken thighs for children and son in law as they will only eat roast chicken!

Because of son-in-laws potato intolerance I must admit that I have started doing things like lasagne or a mild chicken curry with rice as it's easier than having to cook separate carbs and gravy for him.

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a roast with all the trimmings most Sunday.

DH is making roast celeriac 'chips'. They are delicious.
    We have tried celeriac a couple of times but it didn't turn out too well we must have done something wrong , maybe we should give it another go !
    Pixie Dust

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    Oh I do love a roast dinner. We have one most weekends in the cold months. I love the smell of it cooking and the warmth the oven gives whilst cooking it. Today we had chicken, roast potatoes, sweetcorn, green beans and pigs in blankets and gravy. All plates almost licked clean.
    You make a Sunday toast sound so inviting!

Yes, I am holding on to a Sunday roast tradition, though in the summer we often have friends for a barbecue. DH isn’t bothered, but I do hold on to traditions if I can, I get warmth from not changing everything on my life.
    I am a big fan of one pan roasting everything...meat first, then roast with other veg. Yorkshire pudding separate of course.
    We used to have lovely comfort puddings to follow...but not up for it now, though sometimes I just have pudding for my Sunday tea time if I have made something.
    Oldest is exploring being a vegan( partner led) ...they go through ‘explorations’, it’s not based on principles really. They usually don’t last long. Luckily, because they live in Brighton, they often leave earlier on a Sunday after a brunch, so it hasn’t yet affected our Sunday dinners.

We won’t be having a roast at home ( we may go out) in the next couple of weeks because I have packed the kitchen of all but essentials.

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i wrote a long reply a couple of days ago, then my laptop decided to turn itself off and i lost it!

we usually have a sunday roast ( but it might sometimes be roasted fish, or maybe chops/gammon etc but always with the roast veggies! ) In the summer we'll often still have a roast, along with roast potatoes, but then salad.

sometimes we'll have it on a saturday evening, if we are all out & about on a sunday, but recently DH has started cooking the sunday roast, as he is home, and i'm out with DD. (also, he's trying to encourage DS to cook with him. DS sometimes cooks with me, but would prefer not to! DH has told DS that when he left home to go to uni, he could hardly do anything except make toast and cook pasta, and that I taught him how to cook. and he wants DS to be able to cook more than he could!)

i love all veggies with it ... usually Roast potatoes with roast parsnips, but sometimes butternut squash, sweet potato or carrots get roasted too. usually have a selection of green veg. DS loves cauliflower cheese with it. i have to have a cheese sauce with leeks; i can't abide them on their own! Maza - i love swede too; it is especially yummy mashed with carrot.

DD would have yorkshire puds with every roast ( dare i say, every meal?! ) but we usually only have them with Beef - if for no other reason that they are a faff to cook in the aga, as they can't be cooked at the end as it gets too cold, so they have to be cooked in advance! usually i cook a pile and freeze them, or sometimes its easier to have frozen ones

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Think my kids would disown me if I stopped making a Sunday dinner

Today, DS is working till 6, and DD is nursing a hangover (self inflicted so no sympathy ), but I'm doing a slow roast pork dinner (Nigella Lawson's is amazing)

We are also having: Roast potatoes, cauli cheese, honey parsnips (left over from Christmas freezer), carrot and swede, apple sauce, and gravy.
    As it's been cooking all day, the house smells mouthwatering, DD's just started making 'I'm hungry' noises and I'm starving too, but will be a good mummy and wait until I've picked DS up

18. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    We have a roast with all the trimmings most Sunday.

We have tried celeriac a couple of times but it didn't turn out too well we must have done something wrong , maybe we should give it another go !
    Invalid Request

This is the recipe that DH uses. We are hooked. x

Well, it looks as though my link didn't work. DH uses the Good Food website - Celeriac Oven Chips.

20. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

We tend to only have them in the colder months and then only when a Sunday is miserable and wet (such as today). Most weekends we are out walking and so I don't get time to make a roast. We might treat ourselves to a pub meal, but it's not always a roast.
    We can get two meals out of a large chicken ( for 4 of us), roast on Sunday and then chicken and chips on the Monday or a stir fry
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried sweet potato wedges the other day found them yuck! Sweet; mushy.

Sorry, don’t know why I wrote that as not a Sunday roast-talking about celeriac chips made me think of it I suppose.

24. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Favourite meal here so it's not just for Sunday. We do like a Sunday roast however it's not practical every week with various activities. But then some weeks it's Sundays and in the mid week

Maza will try the celeriac recipe keep looking at them in the supermarket. But we do like roasted butternut squash/sweet potato/turnip.

We also usually have Yorkshire puddings with any roast
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

26. Likes Maza liked this post