Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First weekend of the new year...

What are you all up to?

Well it's the last day of Christmas here for us. Did a massive clear up today, but am sitting here amongst the fairy lights watching the Strictly Christmas Special (haven't had chance to watch it until now DH threatened to delete it if I didn't watch it soon). DH cooked dinner and DD and I made a mincemeat tart. When DD is in bed we'll finish the Christmas port.

Tomorrow will have to be spent taking everything down, sigh. Hopefully we'll join our friends for a run. No plans for Sunday.

Happy weekend everyone. x

2. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I did the Christmas tidy up on Wednesday dh was about to put the stuff back in the loft.

Today we are going to Sale Sharks ds2 has a rugby tournament there and then we are watching the game.

Tomorrow he should be playing football but I doubt the games will be on because of the rain. So we might get a relaxed day or have I spoken too soon.

Back to school/work Monday I'm not entirely sure I'm ready for normality to start yet
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

4. Likes FloraDora, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our football match is cancelled as the pitch is waterlogged so it frees up our Saturday. We are going to do the national civil war trail I think , ds has acquired a real interest in history since going up to secondary school and it’s close by so thought we’d give it a go.
    I de~christmassed yesterday , it always makes me sad ..... I think it’s the longest bleakest time between now and spring. I’ll cheer up again once the first bulbs start to come through and I see buds on the trees again!
    Enjoy your weekend everyone xx

6. Likes FloraDora, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    . I’ll cheer up again once the first bulbs start to come through and I see buds on the trees again!
    Enjoy your weekend everyone xx
    As I was running from the car to the house yesterday (trying to avoid the rain) I noticed what I think were daffodils coming through. I need to go and have a proper look today. I’m no gardner at all so I love that I can just leave daffodils nd snowdrops to do their own thing. They appear every year with no effort from me at all

8. Likes FloraDora, Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We started packing in earnest yesterday....well we started with re packing all the toys I had packed in boxes last summer. A visit from Maurice, the removal man to bring us more boxes came at just the right time as he only wants us to use his boxes. He hadn’t given us any when I sorted the toys so I used old packing boxes, these won’t stack properly in his van it seems. We have a lot of packing boxes that are not Maurice ones. Getting ahead in the packing was not such a good idea it seems.
    It has meant that I have done another cull of resources though as 6 large boxes of toys when you no longer teach or childmind and there are no grandchildren is a little excessive!
    I had put aside a box that fitted inside a Maurice box from my tree decorations and was just about to make a start this morning when I discovered it didn’t have any flaps. I vaguely remember DH telling me he had used the old boxes to pack out something...but I didn’t realise it was the box that I have been saving since before Christmas for my baubles ( the one we have used, an old boot box, since 1986 won’t fit in a Maurice box)
    Box dilemmas are my new year issues, DH and I have has so many ‘discussions’ about them. How much tape to put on the bottom, folding the flaps in a certain way, what to write on them, how much to put in....I would rather spend the day with children than pack with DH at the moment. He is the king of the dishwasher, always reorganising the crocs ...he has transferred this skill ( that only he has because he used to pack crockery in a pottery factory 42 years ago ) to our moving boxes now...inspecting each one before sealing, having a little re-sort, adding extra paper ( or flaps of boxes) so there are no gaps, re wrapping if he feels the original wrapping wasn’t up to scratch ( usually my wrapping).

I dreamt of Maurice last night, telling me off on the day we moved because I had used Sainsbury wine boxes to pack everything in! I think this was because I had been saving wine boxes ( the ones Sainsbury put out in their stores for you to use ) and one of the box discussions had been around how ridiculous this practise was as they were really good for nothing.....in my dream Maurice emphasised this.
    I did think when I came downstairs how great all these boxes would be if a child came to play...we could build a castle with them.
    Maurice is returning on Monday and expects 20 boxes to be ready to take into store so we have a challenge on.
    This lovely little man has become my new Ofsted like worry. My default start to conversations is ‘Maurice says....”
    So no castle building for me this weekend.

10. Likes Kiddleywinks, loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    We started packing in earnest yesterday....well we started with re packing all the toys I had packed in boxes last summer. A visit from Maurice, the removal man to bring us more boxes came at just the right time as he only wants us to use his boxes. He hadn’t given us any when I sorted the toys so I used old packing boxes, these won’t stack properly in his van it seems. We have a lot of packing boxes that are not Maurice ones. Getting ahead in the packing was not such a good idea it seems.
    It has meant that I have done another cull of resources though as 6 large boxes of toys when you no longer teach or childmind and there are no grandchildren is a little excessive!
    I had put aside a box that fitted inside a Maurice box from my tree decorations and was just about to make a start this morning when I discovered it didn’t have any flaps. I vaguely remember DH telling me he had used the old boxes to pack out something...but I didn’t realise it was the box that I have been saving since before Christmas for my baubles ( the one we have used, an old boot box, since 1986 won’t fit in a Maurice box)
    Box dilemmas are my new year issues, DH and I have has so many ‘discussions’ about them. How much tape to put on the bottom, folding the flaps in a certain way, what to write on them, how much to put in....I would rather spend the day with children than pack with DH at the moment. He is the king of the dishwasher, always reorganising the crocs ...he has transferred this skill ( that only he has because he used to pack crockery in a pottery factory 42 years ago ) to our moving boxes now...inspecting each one before sealing, having a little re-sort, adding extra paper ( or flaps of boxes) so there are no gaps, re wrapping if he feels the original wrapping wasn’t up to scratch ( usually my wrapping).

I dreamt of Maurice last night, telling me off on the day we moved because I had used Sainsbury wine boxes to pack everything in! I think this was because I had been saving wine boxes ( the ones Sainsbury put out in their stores for you to use ) and one of the box discussions had been around how ridiculous this practise was as they were really good for nothing.....in my dream Maurice emphasised this.
    I did think when I came downstairs how great all these boxes would be if a child came to play...we could build a castle with them.
    Maurice is returning on Monday and expects 20 boxes to be ready to take into store so we have a challenge on.
    This lovely little man has become my new Ofsted like worry. My default start to conversations is ‘Maurice says....”

Oh you poor thing, I'm sorry for laughing, but that tickled me.

I so wish we had a laughing icon as well as a 'like' one

12. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    ... ds has acquired a real interest in history since going up to secondary school and it’s close by so thought we’d give it a go.
    My DS's history teachers during high school loved reading DS's history essays/reports/insights - not because they were factual in any way shape or form, but because he constantly 'rewrote' history to suit his autistic traits

14. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo, mama2three, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am spending today doing the 6 hr theory of my first aid course ... I got up early specially ...

so ..... so far ... I have tidied the playroom, cleaned the guinea pigs out, organised everything for the next few weeks of work, have my LJs ready to update ( literally a case of sticking stuff in! - takes 15 mins about to do this, but got side tracked by looking for something on computer!), replied to a childcare enquiry ( someone actually wants the day I have a space on !!! ), taken down Christmas cards and decorations from everywhere except sitting room ... leaving the tree for DH & children ( that's 'their' job! ) ... oooo and a friend has just text wanting a recipe! ... AND I've arranged to meet a friend to go swimming this afternoon ...

anyone else getting the feeling that I am prevaricating??? !!! I loathe first aid, I always feel slightly sick the whole time I am doing the course, so I thought the half & half one would be better ... now I'm thinking that if I only had to drag my self to a training course, it would be over and done with! although I am hoping that with umpteen first aid courses under my belt, I won't actually take 6 hours to do the theory, and also saving myself the hour plus drive there and back to where I like to do my training! ( really nice, friendly trainers and doesn't cost a fortune! )

flora - your packing boxes story and dreams make me laugh and wishing you lots of luck. I too have a 'this is how you pack' DH ( unless he is in a hurry, then I'm allowed to 'help' ! ) good luck xxx

16. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post

Ah FloraDora, bless you this made me chuckle. How's your day been with pleasing Maurice upper most on your mind?

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I am spending today doing the 6 hr theory of my first aid course ... I got up early specially ...

so ..... so far ... I have tidied the playroom, cleaned the guinea pigs out, organised everything for the next few weeks of work, have my LJs ready to update ( literally a case of sticking stuff in! - takes 15 mins about to do this, but got side tracked by looking for something on computer!), replied to a childcare enquiry ( someone actually wants the day I have a space on !!! ), taken down Christmas cards and decorations from everywhere except sitting room ... leaving the tree for DH & children ( that's 'their' job! ) ... oooo and a friend has just text wanting a recipe! ... AND I've arranged to meet a friend to go swimming this afternoon ...

anyone else getting the feeling that I am prevaricating??? !!! I loathe first aid, I always feel slightly sick the whole time I am doing the course, so I thought the half & half one would be better ... now I'm thinking that if I only had to drag my self to a training course, it would be over and done with! although I am hoping that with umpteen first aid courses under my belt, I won't actually take 6 hours to do the theory, and also saving myself the hour plus drive there and back to where I like to do my training! ( really nice, friendly trainers and doesn't cost a fortune! )

flora - your packing boxes story and dreams make me laugh and wishing you lots of luck. I too have a 'this is how you pack' DH ( unless he is in a hurry, then I'm allowed to 'help' ! ) good luck xxx
    loocyloo did you complete your 6 hours? We still have to do 12 hours classroom based and one of mine falls on Mothering Sunday.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Always dreaded this weekend as the decs come down, now done and my word the house is dusty!! And done my T return. Yep I left it till the 11th hour and it seems I'm not alone as I can't get on to the online system as it's very busy. I think I'm in for a long night.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    loocyloo did you complete your 6 hours? We still have to do 12 hours classroom based and one of mine falls on Mothering Sunday.
    Nope! I got sorted and settled and had 3 clear hours ... so if course all 3 members of my family needed to talk to me, someone rang and so instead of taking the message, the phone was brought to me .... all within the first hour! My concentration was gone so I gave up!
    My children go back to school on Monday, DH will be at work and it's my day off ... so I have a good 6 plus hours to 'play' with!
    I think this year is the first Mothering Sunday for several that DD hasn't either had a dance competition or exam! X

21. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo, I’m doing my 1st aid online for the first time. We have a 85 page theory book to read, followed by a 100 question paper to do then 3 hour practical. Having an old laptop which won’t open the pdfs means I’m having to read it in my phone and I too am think I should of just done the 2 day course as usual.
    Took the final decorations and tree down yesterday and now trying to find boxes to put the ones that I have made this year, away safely in.

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    Loocyloo, I’m doing my 1st aid online for the first time. We have a 85 page theory book to read, followed by a 100 question paper to do then 3 hour practical. Having an old laptop which won’t open the pdfs means I’m having to read it in my phone and I too am think I should of just done the 2 day course as usual.
    Took the final decorations and tree down yesterday and now trying to find boxes to put the ones that I have made this year, away safely in.
    ooo goodness Sylvia, that sounds like hard work. Good luck. x

I have had to read through 12 sections ( and I've made 44 sides of notes! ) answer about 9/10 assessment quizzes as I went along and then a 25 question quiz at the very end. It has taken me about 4.5 hrs and my brain is now frazzled and I feel slightly sick! ( first aid always does that to me ) I now have a 6 hour practical to get through, in a couple of weeks time. The company I'd doing mine with also has a brief online refresher that you can do each year ... I'm hoping that if I can do that, maybe I won't have to do so much in 3 years time! I can dream! everything changes each time, but not a lot, and as my instructor always says ... doing something is better than nothing, so if you forget if its 2 or 5 or 10 rescue breaths/compressions etc, it really doesn't matter!

Our tree got put away and all the decorations. I realised we only used about third of what we have, but still going to keep them all for the time being!

25. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post