Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: CHRISTMAS CARDS

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default CHRISTMAS CARDS

Do you write them?

I don't I find them a complete waste of money. This isn't a recent thing for the last 5 years at least.

However friends still send them to me but complain about writing them.

I do make a donation to a local hospice
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love making and giving Christmas cards. I have a lot of friends and family who live a distance and I think it’s nice to send Christmas greetings, we don’t give cards to each other in the same house though. I like receiving them, with little messages....but I really dislike the folded up A4 ‘round robin’ that are sometimes hiding in the card telling me all about how wonderful their year has been, their holidays, their brilliant children etc...
    I love writing them, with my fountain pen....I am concerned that ‘writing’ is becoming unfashionable with the younger people, I have already had several ‘e greetings’ - but I can’t put these ‘up’ as part of my Christmas decorations.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I like them, but only for people who I won't see personally to wish them a happy Christmas. Each time I receive one (fewer and fewer over the years, which makes me sad) I get a warm feeling as I think about the sender and shared memories, as I do when I write them. I think they are a lovely sentiment. My best friend from uni has said that she isn't bothering with cards this year and my heart sank - we hardly see each other these days and phone each other less and less (both at fault) and I saw it as another step in the wrong direction. I honestly was affected by it. We're quite isolated here as most of our friends have moved away, and we're finding it quite tough, and so I really do depend on the cards as one little way of feeling connected.

I enjoy thinking of crafts /activities to do with them afterwards too. I have got some saved from years ago - mainly ones which depict the Nativity and I use them in table top displays, or with small world scenes. I have some old ones which I use as a stimulus for art activities. Others get cut up and used for craft/sorting/gift tags/lacing cards/jigsaw puzzles etc.

FloraDora, round robin - do you mean like a family newsletter? I have a friend from my nct classes who usually sends one in her card. I really do enjoy reading them, but at the same time it does make me feel a bit inadequate (too strong a word, but can't think of the right word) because her family seem to do so much more than ours - skiing, trips to the States, trips around Europe etc.

4. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wonder if that's why I dont think much to them. I don't really get many from people I don't see regulary has social media corroded this too.

Mmm something to think on and maybe change my thinking
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We definitely don't receive as many as we used too which is quite sad, I do send them to friends and family we don't see very often. I do think technology is partly to blame. On a whole we get a lot less post throughout the whole year due to emails which is a blessing as it must be a lot better for the environment.
    Pixie Dust

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Do you write them?

I don't I find them a complete waste of money. This isn't a recent thing for the last 5 years at least.

However friends still send them to me but complain about writing them.

I do make a donation to a local hospice
    I used to always send cards to all and sundrie but 2 years ago last week my husband died (with no warning) so I haven't for the last 2 years, but I think I might this year but maybe not quite so many as I used to.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We send cards to family and friends that live away from us ( which, as we moved 250 miles is pretty much everyone! )

I'm afraid we do send a brief 'round robin' to people we don't talk to on a regular basis, but only to save us writing the same thing in every Christmas card! We usually only send it to aunts & uncles and random other people that we don't talk to on a regular basis.

I also send an ecard to alot of people!

I love getting Christmas cards, and save nativity cards to use the following year with the mindees, and the rest are used for gift tags the following year.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, this year we have received fewer cards than ever before. Even DD has hardly received any from her classmates. Up until last year she used to come home with a handful each day in December but this year she hasn't. Maybe they get so much homework these days that writing cards seems like another chore? She has finished for Christmas now and so she won't be getting any more.

It must be a challenging time for Christmas card designers, and shops like Clintons. What about those companies who go into schools and get children to design their own cards? Times certainly are changing!

10. Likes mama2three liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I said this dd has had 1 card up to yet.

Im probably one of the causes as i dont write cards.

Dd wants to make her teacher a card which i will happily do

12. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to send dozens of cards. Now I probably don't send more than 10.

I always found it a chore to write them so I'm not sad that the sending of cards has declined. I give a donation to charity, send the few cards I need to send and save a fortune on postage!

14. Likes mama2three liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was trying cut down on cards i send, but card sending seems really BIG where we live, and i seem to have increased my list this year!

16. Likes mama2three liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it really? That's interesting!

18. Likes mama2three, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Does it really? That's interesting!
    I think it maybe to do with the age of alot of the locals! We do seem to get alot of people retiring here!

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We’re also receiving less each year. But that may be because our older relatives are disappearing fast and their children, our cousins, don’t write cards.
    I don’t do social media but have heard that a friend put on social media for the 3rd year running she wasn’t sending cards. Fine. But I’ve sent her one the last 2 years but feel maybe I should do like for like.
    I put a little written message in each card and do really enjoy reading messages others have written in their cards to us. But we have a set of old friends who do a big round robin and it’s annoying to read. Interesting but always ‘grates’ me. When we do meet up they’re so different so I’m not sure what it’s all about.

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to send cards I have them written out, ready to send on the 1st December. This year I don’t think I’ve received as many. My problem with this is that the ones not sending cards haven’t told me! Apart from a cousin who told me she had moved, only when I text to ask her if she had sold her house yet and then told me she’s donating instead of cards. I donate to charities all year round and buy cards that help charities too. Maybe I’ll rethink my card list for future years😂

24. Likes loocyloo liked this post