Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking in parcels for neighbours

Do you ever feel like the local sorting office?

I took in 3 parcel deliveries yesterday, 6 parcels in total, all for neighbours who were out. Not one was for me! A couple of them have even put my address on the “if not in leave at...” part of the delivery instructions.

When one of the neighbours came to collect her parcel from me she said she had been in when the postie knocked but she was still in bed and knew they’d bring it to me

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We all take in our parcels and deliveries in our cul de sac. I think it doesn’t annoy us too much because we know someone will do it for us if needed. We have got to know some neighbours through this.
    I can’t believe someone is still in bed at delivery man time!

3. Likes Pixie dust liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a funny one isn't it?

In theory I don't mind at all, except when I had little ones sleeping and some impatient posties would press the bell again if I didn't get there within the first nanosecond. I'm sure we have the loudest doorbell on the planet.

We have a frosty relationship with the downstairs neighbours, but one thing they do without hesitation is take in parcels for us. They can just leave it in the communal area for us to see when we get home, so we don't have to knock on their door.

I think all the flats in our building enjoyed the fact that I worked from home and could take in parcels, deal with readings of meters in the communal area and just be around for security issues. We have one lovely, lovely neighbour whose parcels come to us and it's the only time I get to chat with her. We've just dropped off a parcel to her this morning actually. However, one set of neighbours (lived downstairs before the frosty ones moved in) put our address on a parcel once, knowing that we would probably be home and they definitely would not. They also told us what time they (we!) would be expecting a delivery for another parcel. As I say, in theory I truly don't mind, but when there is a hint of one being taken for granted, then it doesn't go unnoticed. I think your sleeping neighbour would have irritated me, Mouse. Other than that, I like the community aspect of it all and enjoy chatting to the posties.

It's DD's birthday today, and so I cringed when the parcel we took in was actually for the lovely neighbour. When I saw the postie I just assumed it was a gift for DD from family. Luckily the thought never crossed DD's mind and so she wasn't disappointed.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Do you ever feel like the local sorting office?

I took in 3 parcel deliveries yesterday, 6 parcels in total, all for neighbours who were out. Not one was for me! A couple of them have even put my address on the “if not in leave at...” part of the delivery instructions.

When one of the neighbours came to collect her parcel from me she said she had been in when the postie knocked but she was still in bed and knew they’d bring it to me
    It’s quite a relief to read this: I thought this was some weird thing that only happened to me, suggesting I never take the lo's out enough.

As most of the street are out all day, all the posties and parcel delivery folk use us as the neighbourhood depository. They don’t always drop a card at the addressee's house because they know where to come if they’ve expecting a parcel. Sometimes they come straight to us because the addressee is "never" in, which overlooks the fact they’re occasionally at home off work.

It really doesn’t bother me, and the children love it. The only frustrating thing is that I'm the only person round here who has his parcels taken back to the depot when I’m out! So I end up having to wait longer and pay the fee to have them dropped at the village post office.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here on our little cul de sac........we regularly take in various neighbours parcels, parcels have drop off at our house if no one in plus one courier company comes straight to us as they too know that a particular neighbour is out all day. One neighbour will always let me know when she is expecting a parcel. We don't mind and our neighbours our lovely an appreciate what we do, last year we got a tub of chocolates addresses to 'The ........ Post Office '
    Pixie Dust

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, same here. Lots of packages stacked up some days. But I think I'd be upset if I thought the neighbour was still in bed knowing I'd take the parcel in. It got so busy here recently that I opened the door to be greeted by a big bouquet of flowers. I automatically said 'for next door' and she said no that they were for me. A nice birthday surprise (4 days late) from my sister. But we are confused by one neighbour as they never come to collect their parcels from us. We always have to go out and deliver it to them. I know the postie/delivery person puts a card through their door as I see them walk up their path again after giving me the package. Maybe they chuck all their mail in the bin thinking it's junk but surely if you ordered something online you'd lookout for the card. We had a package here for something like 8 days once as we forgot to knock on their door.

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    It’s quite a relief to read this: I thought this was some weird thing that only happened to me, suggesting I never take the lo's out enough.

As most of the street are out all day, all the posties and parcel delivery folk use us as the neighbourhood depository. They don’t always drop a card at the addressee's house because they know where to come if they’ve expecting a parcel. Sometimes they come straight to us because the addressee is "never" in, which overlooks the fact they’re occasionally at home off work.

It really doesn’t bother me, and the children love it. The only frustrating thing is that I'm the only person round here who has his parcels taken back to the depot when I’m out! So I end up having to wait longer and pay the fee to have them dropped at the village post office.
    Ditto bunyip! Last week I was in and the postie didn't even ring the bell or knock so yes I had to colect from the sorting office!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    Yep, same here. Lots of packages stacked up some days. But I think I'd be upset if I thought the neighbour was still in bed knowing I'd take the parcel in. It got so busy here recently that I opened the door to be greeted by a big bouquet of flowers. I automatically said 'for next door' and she said no that they were for me. A nice birthday surprise (4 days late) from my sister. But we are confused by one neighbour as they never come to collect their parcels from us. We always have to go out and deliver it to them. I know the postie/delivery person puts a card through their door as I see them walk up their path again after giving me the package. Maybe they chuck all their mail in the bin thinking it's junk but surely if you ordered something online you'd lookout for the card. We had a package here for something like 8 days once as we forgot to knock on their door.
    That’s a bit naughty when they expect you to take their stuff round. I’d be really tempted to put a note through their door stating you charge a tenner for storage after the first 24 hours and then dispose of anything not collected within 30 days.

10. Likes SYLVIA liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem at all taking parcels in if I’m here (maybe apart from the neighbour who couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed!) but I do sometimes wonder how hard the delivery people try to get them to the right house and how many times it’s just easier to bring them all to me!

The children love going to the door and always have a chat with the delivery person - we know some of them well and I’m sure they’ve figured out when I’m in and when’s the best time to call!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post
    Ditto bunyip! Last week I was in and the postie didn't even ring the bell or knock so yes I had to colect from the sorting office!!
    At the house we used to live in the front door lead straight into the front room, where *****minded from. One day the post came through the door and I didn’t really take much notice of it. When I did look, I saw a “sorry we missed you” card. I knew they hadn’t knocked as I was in the room at the time, but when I phoned to complain I was told they would definitely have knocked and I must have missed them.
    It happened again a week or so later. This time I saw the card and opened the door straight away to say I was in. The postie told me he didn’t have my parcel as he hadn’t wanted to carry it with him so had just put a card through the door!! I complained again, but was told the postie denied it so no action was being taken. They sent me a book of stamps by way of an apology

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

At the house we used to live in the front door lead straight into the front room, where *****minded from. One day the post came through the door and I didn’t really take much notice of it. When I did look, I saw a “sorry we missed you” card. I knew they hadn’t knocked as I was in the room at the time, but when I phoned to complain I was told they would definitely have knocked and I must have missed them.
    It happened again a week or so later. This time I saw the card and opened the door straight away to say I was in. The postie told me he didn’t have my parcel as he hadn’t wanted to carry it with him so had just put a card through the door!! I complained again, but was told the postie denied it so no action was being taken. They sent me a book of stamps by way of an apology
    That's terrible Mouse, at least I fared better because when I complained at the sorting office they said to go online to royal mail and put it in writing (so to speak). I got a response quite quick and they said they would look into it.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh Mouse that's awful!

We have one grumpy postman (most are lovely and jovial) who rings the bell and when we answer the intercom he tells me that there is a parcel on the doorstep. He doesn't even wait for us to go downstairs to take it from him. I'm pretty sure I would always get downstairs before someone could steal it, but you never know. I think it's a bit sloppy. He also irritates everyone because he cuts across the lawn (through a little flowerbed)to get from our neighbour to us, and then to get to the next neighbour he cuts across their driveway where he practically has to brush up against their car to get past. Is it just me who gets irritated by people not using paths?

We often used to find elastic bands on our doorstep from the postman/lady too.

I've just got back from the sorting office actually because even our downstairs neighbours who 'never go out' weren't at home this time. There's always a massive queue of people whose parcels take ages to find.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the elastic bands in the shed. I know an elderly lady who collects them before putting them back in the post box on the corner of her street.

We used to have thousands of the things from all the maps and leaflets, when I worked on the railway. We’d collect them an£ make rubber band balls to @muse ourselves on dead late shifts.

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    I use the elastic bands in the shed.
    I’m intrigued what goes on in your shed with these elastic bands Bunyip?!

Our postie cut across through our herb bed , so we put in a little path amongst the herbs for them, works a treat.

18. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I’m intrigued what goes on in your shed with these elastic bands Bunyip?!

Our postie cut across through our herb bed , so we put in a little path amongst the herbs for them, works a treat.
    All sorts of dull stuff like keeping seed packets tidy and drying herbs, flowers, etc.

20. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've had this several times, usually when it's a new or substitute postie! A couple of days ago I had a 'signed for' parcel left in my 'safe place' ... when I complained, I was told I wasn't in... yes I was, the parcel postie hadn't knocked on door !!

I don't really have many neighbours but I do take in parcels or whatever for them. All the local delivery bods as well as posties know my safe place and leave not just mine, but neighbours parcels too!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I just came home to find a Hermes card through the door, I thought it would say parcel with a neighbour, but instead it says "Parcel on table in garden" - just checked and it was on the patio table, but back gate is bolted, so god knows how they put it there?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I just came home to find a Hermes card through the door, I thought it would say parcel with a neighbour, but instead it says "Parcel on table in garden" - just checked and it was on the patio table, but back gate is bolted, so god knows how they put it there?
    Perhaps they've got a very accurate throw

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps they've got a very accurate throw
    I did consider that but the table is 4ft from gate at 90 degrees angle and the gate is 6ft tall with bolt half way down, and it looked as if parcel had been placed rather than thrown as it was the right way up - maybe Spiderman is now working for Hermes or someone tall with very long arms!

25. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Jul 04
    Post Thanks / Like

That would really rub me the wrong way. Who does she think you are, her personal assistant?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast