Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don’t ‘get’ the JL advert, I have had lots of discussions with friends about it so I am now thinking that is what it is about...get us talking about John Lewis.

I am really good at buying Christmas things in January....then I can’t find them come the Christmas following because they were not put with the Christmas things. So well done Maza not only bought, but have them ready!

You are so right Fussy, I saw a robin which I thought I could do something with for our kitchen decorations...I thought some more though...they were all gone when I returned to buy.
    Mincemeat brownies sound nice.

I have realised I gave away all of my pine cones with my loose parts resources, so we are off for a walk in the woods to see what I can find.

2. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t get the JL advert either. Why does the monster give the boy a star toy thing? Is it something relevant to the story? It seems a bit random to me.

What annoys me most though is that the song they use is one of my Beatles tunes and I listen to it often. Now people will think I only like it because it’s on an advert

I’m not a fan of soppy Christmas adverts anyway. Why do they always make ones that are aimed at making you cry? I much prefer a happy theme with a memorable, sing along song.

4. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just an update on my pine cones for Christmas search .
    I decided to ‘forest bathe’ after I had found a few. It is something that the Japanese do it seems.
    It was really good, DH and I often walk in the woods with our cameras and we used to think looking for prospective photo opportunities made us look more at what was around us...and stop chattering. But I really found taking in the ambiance and not specifics helped today, we both came back more relaxed.
    I left the camera behind, but not my phone but it was switched off.

The Grow Wild website suggested the steps to take:
    Step 1 – leave behind your phone, camera or any other distractions, so that you can be fully present in the experience.

Step 2 – Leave behind your goals and expectations. Wander aimlessly, allowing your body to take you wherever it wants.

Step 3 – Pause from time to time, to look more closely at a leaf or notice the sensation of the path beneath your feet.

Step 4 – Find a comfy spot to take a seat and listen to the sounds around you. See how the behaviour of the birds and other animals changes when they become used to your presence.

Step 5 – If you go with others, make an agreement to resist talking until the end of the walk, when you could gather to share your experiences.

Not rocket science, but stepping away for half an hour was very relaxing. It did remind me of a LO I had who was not a chatterbox and used to just wander and take thing in on our walks, she was a very easy going, relaxed LO, perhaps I should have occasionally done this with the children.
    Anyway it’s definately on my list to do next week too. Watching the birds was a particular delight.... just watching, not trying to see what it is through binoculars.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Just an update on my pine cones for Christmas search .
    I decided to ‘forest bathe’ after I had found a few. It is something that the Japanese do it seems.
    It was really good, DH and I often walk in the woods with our cameras and we used to think looking for prospective photo opportunities made us look more at what was around us...and stop chattering. But I really found taking in the ambiance and not specifics helped today, we both came back more relaxed.
    I left the camera behind, but not my phone but it was switched off.

The Grow Wild website suggested the steps to take:
    Step 1 – leave behind your phone, camera or any other distractions, so that you can be fully present in the experience.

Step 2 – Leave behind your goals and expectations. Wander aimlessly, allowing your body to take you wherever it wants.

Step 3 – Pause from time to time, to look more closely at a leaf or notice the sensation of the path beneath your feet.

Step 4 – Find a comfy spot to take a seat and listen to the sounds around you. See how the behaviour of the birds and other animals changes when they become used to your presence.

Step 5 – If you go with others, make an agreement to resist talking until the end of the walk, when you could gather to share your experiences.

Not rocket science, but stepping away for half an hour was very relaxing. It did remind me of a LO I had who was not a chatterbox and used to just wander and take thing in on our walks, she was a very easy going, relaxed LO, perhaps I should have occasionally done this with the children.
    Anyway it’s definately on my list to do next week too. Watching the birds was a particular delight.... just watching, not trying to see what it is through binoculars.
    Before I read the bit about your mindee, I was just thinking wow, that's how toddlers experience the forest - and we all know how they come back refreshed, invigorated and calmer from a walk in the woods.

I've been collecting empty acorn cups for the EYFS children at school and then I act all confused wondering where all the actual acorns have gone. They take great delight in telling me that the squirrels must have either eaten them or buried them. They are so sweet and funny. More and more though it makes me nostalgic for the childminding times when I took the children into the woods on a daily basis to see the empty acorn cups in their natural environment and to spot the squirrels nearby.

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh how strange Flora I had just seen articles on forest bathing pop up on fb and then it's explained here.

The world is so busy I wonder how many if us actually take the time just to stop look and listen. I know I'm guilty if not doing it. Maybe time to start
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

10. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not feeling at all Christmassy yet inspite of seeing "White Christmas" musical at a theatre at the weekend. We have decided to do a secret santa for the first time this year for all my family, (husband, 3 daughters and their husbands/partners), my brother and his family and my parents and I only have one gift to buy, plus presents for my 3 grandsons. I have already got presents for mindees and great nieces & great nephews.

We walked round some Xmas market stalls at the weekend and it felt really strange thinking "Oh, so and so would love that" or "that would be a great gift for my dad" etc but I don't need to buy presents for those people and the person I have selected in the draw for names, only wants a charity gift voucher, so feeling quite unfestive at the moment.

I'm also in great pain with a shoulder inpingement and in spite of spending nearly £200 on private Osteopathy and Physio it's still really painful - I had an early appointment this morning and it turns out that I have ******** the other shoulder by over using it now too - have hospital appointment on Monday, but really wondering if my childminding days are numbered and that's making me very down too.

So help everyone, how can I turn Christmas around?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I'm not feeling at all Christmassy yet inspite of seeing "White Christmas" musical at a theatre at the weekend. We have decided to do a secret santa for the first time this year for all my family, (husband, 3 daughters and their husbands/partners), my brother and his family and my parents and I only have one gift to buy, plus presents for my 3 grandsons. I have already got presents for mindees and great nieces & great nephews.

We walked round some Xmas market stalls at the weekend and it felt really strange thinking "Oh, so and so would love that" or "that would be a great gift for my dad" etc but I don't need to buy presents for those people and the person I have selected in the draw for names, only wants a charity gift voucher, so feeling quite unfestive at the moment.

I'm also in great pain with a shoulder inpingement and in spite of spending nearly £200 on private Osteopathy and Physio it's still really painful - I had an early appointment this morning and it turns out that I have ******** the other shoulder by over using it now too - have hospital appointment on Monday, but really wondering if my childminding days are numbered and that's making me very down too.

So help everyone, how can I turn Christmas around?
    Sorry to hear about your health H H, tricky injury when you may have to pick up the LO’s. Hope it is short term. I always feel that pain brings me down and I think negatively of lots of things, so hopefully if your shoulder pain lessens your mood will lift.
    Personally though the Christmassy feeling for me only comes in the week before Christmas, or once I have attended my first carol service. Before that it is just ticked off lists, organising is different to Christmas nice things. I wrap the week before too, with a Christmas vibe, I find if I do it before it becomes more of a to do task.
    I am in amazement every year how Christmas becomes earlier and earlier, with some people thinking it should start on December 1st. A bit old fashioned I suppose, but I have moved putting my tree up on Christmas Eve in recent years ( peer pressure) to the week before and the 12 days of Christmas becomes 7 days before and 12 after. But for most of my life I have put the tree up on the eve of 23rd or morning 24th and then celebrated over the next 12 days or so - taking it down on the 6th Jan.

I like the focussed short span of Christmas.
    So forget Christmas until you are feeling better - then go for it big time.

13. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you are in pain and feeling down HH. Really hope you feel better soon. x

I'm in and out of the Christmas spirit. DD's birthday party is this Friday after school and she is having a 'Christmas and Mince Spies' theme - Christmas themed food, activities, games and goody bags - BUT I cannot face putting up any Christmas decorations - it will be the usual birthday party bunting and balloons. I've just been up the step ladder to my Christmas decoration cupboard to try and find my Christmas stickers and Christmas Bingo game, and the sight of all the other Christmas paraphernalia made me shudder. We made Rudolph biscuits last night and tomorrow night we'll decorate the cupcakes with Christmas toppers. None of it is for Christmas though.

I always end up planning parties which need a million resources/props making. In a slight panic because I now have to work tomorrow and today I had to have a filling at the dentist, so lost some preparation time that I was counting on. I'm really hoping that the class I cover tomorrow has lots of nativity rehearsing to do because then I won't have as much marking to do after school and can get away reasonably early. Don't tell anyone I said that though.

I see some childminders on FB have been doing loads of crafts already. The two reception classes that I cover are still knee deep in Autumn work and it is lovely. Too beautiful a season to cut short.

15. Likes FloraDora, hectors house liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about you hectors house, and Floradora talking about the focused short span of Christmas. After the Christmas themed birthday party yesterday I have to say that I agree with Floradora. I always thought that having DD's birthday at the end of November prevented me from getting into the Christmas spirit as early as I would like (had other themes in previous years) and so enjoyed having the excuse to get into the Christmas spirit early this year. It was a great party and the theme meant that all the friends could have frivolous Christmas fun together before they all get caught up with family and school events in December, but I have discovered that I don't actually like starting so soon. The anticipation of starting Christmas events is enjoyable in itself. When you don't manage to cram in everything that you had planned it leaves you wanting more. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing.

We were looking forward to the Christmas fair at our local community centre today, but in the end we didn't go because of all the Christmas crafts and games we did yesterday. We were a bit saturated. I think we'll take a few days off Christmas and then build up to it gradually, like we do every other year.

How is your shoulder today HH?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I was thinking about you hectors house, and Floradora talking about the focused short span of Christmas. After the Christmas themed birthday party yesterday I have to say that I agree with Floradora. I always thought that having DD's birthday at the end of November prevented me from getting into the Christmas spirit as early as I would like (had other themes in previous years) and so enjoyed having the excuse to get into the Christmas spirit early this year. It was a great party and the theme meant that all the friends could have frivolous Christmas fun together before they all get caught up with family and school events in December, but I have discovered that I don't actually like starting so soon. The anticipation of starting Christmas events is enjoyable in itself. When you don't manage to cram in everything that you had planned it leaves you wanting more. Sometimes there can be too much of a good thing.

We were looking forward to the Christmas fair at our local community centre today, but in the end we didn't go because of all the Christmas crafts and games we did yesterday. We were a bit saturated. I think we'll take a few days off Christmas and then build up to it gradually, like we do every other year.

Glad your party was a success. They are so exhausting, no wonder you wanted a slow start today.

18. Likes Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

My shoulder is feeling quite a lot better thank you Maza - I think it's a case of it has to feel worse before it gets better after treatment - got my appointment today at the hospital for an assessment - unfortunately it's not with the Consultant but with a Physio who decides if you get referred to see Consultant, or for MRI or x-rays or ultra sound or to NHS Physio. Really hoping they don't send me to physio as I haven't got any faith in NHS Physios - after I had my operation on frozen shoulder before they just printed off a sheet of exercises, showed you how to do them and said come back in 2 weeks - my private physio says it's as if they are trained in a "hands off" approach, rather than hands on.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    My shoulder is feeling quite a lot better thank you Maza - I think it's a case of it has to feel worse before it gets better after treatment - got my appointment today at the hospital for an assessment - unfortunately it's not with the Consultant but with a Physio who decides if you get referred to see Consultant, or for MRI or x-rays or ultra sound or to NHS Physio. Really hoping they don't send me to physio as I haven't got any faith in NHS Physios - after I had my operation on frozen shoulder before they just printed off a sheet of exercises, showed you how to do them and said come back in 2 weeks - my private physio says it's as if they are trained in a "hands off" approach, rather than hands on.
    Fingers crossed you get the referral you want xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's not even December and I have already started on my Christmas shopping

When I say 'started on the shopping', I actually mean I sat last night and wrote a list of who we need to buy for and whether or not I have any ideas what to get them (that column is very empty!) But it's made me feel very organised and ahead of the game

22. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Fingers crossed you get the referral you want xx
    Thank you Mouse - I didn't get referral as she explained that there isn't the funding for operations and if it does turn into a frozen shoulder (she said it was on it's way to becoming one) that it would be really bad for a year and then would start to improve! Yes, I know that but it doesn't always improve, last time with other shoulder I had to have operation to have it manipulated and bone shaved and don't really want to go down that route again.

Anyway she saw me, sent me to x-ray and then I went back to see her and she did another cortisone injection - hopefully it will work as it really hurt last night and that's normally a good sign - I have a 12 week open appointment with her which means I can contact her booking line myself without having to go back through the doctor, so if no improvement in 2 or 3 weeks I go get another appointment and see if she does another cortisone injection or does actually refer me.

Luckily for me one of the 15 month old's is poorly this week so I don't have to do much lifting or pushing buggies until Friday, so will give my shoulder a break.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

FloraDora we made your Oxfam Christmas tree pictures today. I have a garland of little stockings that I hang up every December and put a rolled up piece of paper inside one each day with a Christmas activity idea written on it. I printed off the design and we used it as a stimulus (stimuli?) to make our own pictures with different shades of green paint. I plan to join in all of the activities too this year, where possible at least, because in the past I have tended to use it as a way of occupying DD/mindees whilst I prepare dinner. All was going beautifully, until DH complemented mine, tongue in cheek, silly thing, and now DD is in a really bad mood and can't snap out of it. Give me strength!

25. Likes FloraDora liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12