Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It must have been a good Summer...

Are you all loving being back in a routine or are you still mourning the Summer holidays? Did you have children leave you to start school? Have you got lots of new ones starting?

I went back to Weightwatchers after not being able to make it to meetings over Summer. I have gained 3lb. Totally deserved to, but was hoping for a miracle. Then, today DD was supposed to start her swimming lessons again and I totally got the time wrong. I thought they were at 3.45, but apparently they have always been at 2.45! Seems like I lost a brain and gained a belly. Time to switch it around!

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Are you all loving being back in a routine or are you still mourning the Summer holidays? Did you have children leave you to start school? Have you got lots of new ones starting?

I went back to Weightwatchers after not being able to make it to meetings over Summer. I have gained 3lb. Totally deserved to, but was hoping for a miracle. Then, today DD was supposed to start her swimming lessons again and I totally got the time wrong. I thought they were at 3.45, but apparently they have always been at 2.45! Seems like I lost a brain and gained a belly. Time to switch it around!
    I feel as if the race has started and I need to catch up, whilst juggling a dozen balls all up in the air at once!

We had a lovely summer and now it's over!

Had a manic first week back at school ... settling new children ( and their parents ) to me ( from 10mths to almost 8yrs! ), and everyone into new classes at school. Getting used to my own children's new afterschool activity timetable and trying to ensure homework is done and meals eaten as well as looking after schoolies.

I like being back in routine, but I also enjoy not having school runs in the holidays and miss the freedom that brings.

I've done that before Maza! Been convinced something was a totally different time ( or even day! )

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We took a walking trip at the beginning of the week.....just because we can really.
    I felt great...the real start to my retirement, I thought with lots of excited happiness.

Yesterday I cycled the usual walking route with the LO's around our lake and as I turned the corner at one end I had to stop...I was overwhelmed with sadness, the path looked so lonely without Wellington boots running along it and sticks waving...the quietness of just birds and wind was eerily unsettling, no laughter or squeals.....I welled up!

I realised that I miss the children, the nature reserve is just not the same without them.

I thought DH would think I was crazy when I announced on return that I needed a new cycle route but he shared that he thought lunchtimes were too quiet now and that he misses the morning prep and the little heads round the door asking what was for lunch, he thought my handbag hanging on the door handle the other day was a LO and he smiled automatically.
    We talked about remembering to smile and learning again to laugh without children's stimulus....and having little moments of singing....all things we can do without children now....but they are so much more fun with!

Reality kicked in with a phone call about a viewing....so all hands on deck now to prepare the house for eagle eyed viewing, nostalgic thoughts vanishing in a flash....
    ...though we both laughed when we found ourselves plumping cushions for the nth time with nervous anxiety about the first viewing...it's started!
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate it when the little ones go back to school. I love the freedom of no school runs or clock watching. We are still going to the woods and parks etc but it doesn't feel right with the big ones in school. Plus my grandson starts preschool this week and although I see him at least 3 times a week I still feel as if I've missed so much of his 3 years. I need to get some colourful autumn activities going to cheer me up

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh FloraDora, I totally get where you are coming from. When my little ones left when I started my 'break' from childminding I felt pangs of sadness. It's the odd times when it grabs you - not always specific memories. I particularly remember popping into my kitchen after being in the dining room and thinking how odd it was that I didn't need to 'keep an ear out' for the little ones who would have been playing with the train track in the dining room still. I missed the background noise of chatter and the vocal choo-choo noises, such an every day occurrence. Like you, my DH was surprised at how much he missed it too. I think with any job, the more you put into it the more you get out of it on a personal level, but it is really hard when your work experiences are so interwoven with your everyday life.

Sylvia, your grandson is very lucky having such a hands on grandma! Time does go too fast though. Yes, nice Autumn activities sound good!

Loocyloo you have always been amazing at juggling, so I'm sure you wont start dropping balls now.

10. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The summer went way too fast.....it is nice to get back into the school run routine though. First few days have been a bit hectic trying to settle a new 3 yr old who isn't used to be left with any one so it's been a shock to his system bless him plus I have a new 7 month old who isn't starting properly until the new year but mum has some 'keeping in touch' days with her work where she has to go in for a few days so its a shock to my system as haven't had a baby to look after for a while. So sitting here trying to get all organised for the week ahead new term and I plan to be a bit more organised only trouble is September is turning out to be a busy month as it's time to take my youngest back to uni next week to start his 2nd year then I have 2 Saturdays which will be taken up with doing my First Aid course, blink and it will be October
    Pixie Dust

12. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We've had a really good summer.

I've got used to the regular nuisances and can very nearly switch off to them, to avoid being so annoyed as I have been in previous years. i.e. :-
    • Working more hours with fewer children, so we make less money for more work.
    • Spending more on outings than we earn in a day.
    • People talking to me as is I get the whole summer off work: even when I clearly have three mindees in tow.
    • Last-minute requests for school runs from the terminally disorganised.

We don't get into the full swing of school runs for a couple of weeks. School continues its ridiculous scheme of 'settling in' for reception class which makes it impossible for me to offer a service until they go full time. The various start/finish times would have me doing six runs each day to the same school, dragging the EY children along. I simply refuse to do it. It's impossible and stupid.

The hardest thing has been two families who've suffered bereavements over the summer, both made worse by very difficult circumstances. This may sound harsh, but I really need them to get appropriate help somewhere else. I've made all sorts of changes to their childcare arrangements, free sessions, last-minute swaps, etc. But I'm really struggling with them expecting to stay here for ages when they come to collect. I'm not a bereavement counsellor and, cruel as it sounds, I'm no good to them after I've already worked a 10 hour day.

14. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip, I know what you mean about inductions. Some schools have come up with some very 'creative, weird and wonderful' inductions haven't they! Gosh, I hope it al settles down for the bereaved families too. It doesn't sound harsh, there is only so much you can give.

Pixie Dust, enjoy the last few days of Summer with your boy!

16. Likes Pixie dust, bunyip, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

I feel as if the race has started and I need to catch up, whilst juggling a dozen balls all up in the air at once!
    I dropped a ball today but hey ho I only forgot the paperwork for the football. Been so long since we have played I never even thought about it. Add in ds played rugby as and rushing from one sport to another. Oh well nothing an email won't sort.

Maza 3lb isn't that bad.

Flora hope the viewing goes well and I expect there will lots of reminders.

My eldest dd goes to uni next Sunday so that will never last full family sunday roast for a while. Last dance classes etc. But a new chapter in her life is starting.

I also became an auntie again this week just a shame they live in Australia it will be a while before I get a cuddle
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Fussy at becoming an Auntie again! Well done to your DD. I remember this time last year we had lots of forum members with children starting uni. Hope you are bearing up. x

20. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed some parts of the summer holidays. It's definitely more trying having my kids at home but it's lovely when they lead the play with my EY kids. Lots of role play.

I am pleased to be back in some sort of routine. My DS started in reception last week - just half days. It means 3 trips to school but I used to pick him up from preschool midday anyway. He seems to be really enjoying school so far. I was a bit emotional after I had dropped him off on the first day but the mindees kept my mind off it.

22. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Fussy at becoming an Auntie again! Well done to your DD. I remember this time last year we had lots of forum members with children starting uni. Hope you are bearing up. x
    Yes I'm being very practical about it. It's her next step on her journey through life where ever that takes her xx
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

24. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If I'm honest, I've got mixed feelings this year.
    The holidays went way too fast, we were having so much fun.
    No alarms reminding me it's time to get the schoolies, lots of 'oops we're running late today, I'll drop x off on our way back' messages to parents, plus I even planned a day out with the children AND their parents which was brilliant.
    We all had an amazing trip and felt our little group were 'cemented' if that makes sense.

Last week they all went back, with a couple of little ones doing half days before starting full time this week, so getting into any routine was a bit hit and miss.
    This week, it's day 2, I now only have before and after school children, and I'm feeling somewhat bereft!
    I had grand plans of how much I'll enjoy having some time to myself for a change, and yes it was great yesterday, until lunchtime when I went food shopping without my two or sometimes 3 little helpers....

There's no new children as yet on the horizon, so I'm not sure if I'm going to like this new routine.
    Ah well, time to attack my ever growing 'to do' list I guess, and maybe then I'll feel better about it

26. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reG
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing about summer for me is not waking up so early to prepare my daughter for school, lol.

28. Likes Maza liked this post