Thread: HPV vaccine

Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default HPV vaccine

Just had letter from school about DD having the HPV vaccine this school year and whilst I'm in favour of vaccines and my children have had them all, for some reason this one worries me.

I've done a bit of research and not come up with anything to make me any happier. And the only positive information I can find is from the NHS themselves. (Mind you, I am using my phone so not great at being able to research easily)

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Just had letter from school about DD having the HPV vaccine this school year and whilst I'm in favour of vaccines and my children have had them all, for some reason this one worries me.

I've done a bit of research and not come up with anything to make me any happier. And the only positive information I can find is from the NHS themselves. (Mind you, I am using my phone so not great at being able to research easily)

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks
    Thete has been alot of negativity about it in the press. My dd was one of the first to have it so there wasnt as much bad press as such.

Sorry that's not much use to you
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post

Thete has been alot of negativity about it in the press. My dd was one of the first to have it so there wasnt as much bad press as such.

Sorry that's not much use to you
    Thanks x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

What does your daughter think about having it done?

My daughter has a real fear of vaccinations, but decided she would have it done at school when everyone else did. A few girls complained of feeling ill afterwards, but I think that was more psychosomatic than a reaction to the injection.
    DD had a bit of a sore arm afterwards, but that was it.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    What does your daughter think about having it done?

My daughter has a real fear of vaccinations, but decided she would have it done at school when everyone else did. A few girls complained of feeling ill afterwards, but I think that was more psychosomatic than a reaction to the injection.
    DD had a bit of a sore arm afterwards, but that was it.
    She doesn't really like injections but hasn't discussed it as not back at school till tomorrow.
    Thing is ... school will be OTT 'it's great' ( It's their default position about everything ! ) but a couple of years ago, one of the girls had a bad reaction and is now in a wheelchair and has not been to school much since. She's actually moved away so DD hasn't seen her for a while and I'm not sure she even knows why she is in a wheelchair. Very sad, as she was very sporty. I know that's why I'm so unsure about this jab.
    DD is out dancing so we won't get a chance to sit down and discuss it for a couple of days!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

She doesn't really like injections but hasn't discussed it as not back at school till tomorrow.
    Thing is ... school will be OTT 'it's great' ( It's their default position about everything ! ) but a couple of years ago, one of the girls had a bad reaction and is now in a wheelchair and has not been to school much since. She's actually moved away so DD hasn't seen her for a while and I'm not sure she even knows why she is in a wheelchair. Very sad, as she was very sporty. I know that's why I'm so unsure about this jab.
    DD is out dancing so we won't get a chance to sit down and discuss it for a couple of days!
    Poor girl Something like that happening is bound to make you question the jab.

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks
    Does the jab have to be done now or can it be arranged through the GP at a later date? It could give you more time to make a choice.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snortlet View Post

Does the jab have to be done now or can it be arranged through the GP at a later date? It could give you more time to make a choice.
    It will be done 'some time this term' and then a 2nd part done 'later in the year' !

I'm going to ask school tomorrow if they know when it is likely to happen. And also contact school health trust thing who sent the letter to ask for more info.
    (Just hope my baby who cried for most of today, gives me a break tomorrow!)

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be done 'some time this term' and then a 2nd part done 'later in the year' !

I'm going to ask school tomorrow if they know when it is likely to happen. And also contact school health trust thing who sent the letter to ask for more info.
    (Just hope my baby who cried for most of today, gives me a break tomorrow!)
    That would be no good for me. I have a needle phobia and would get really worked up before school each day wondering if it would be that day.

I hope you get more info so you can make an informed choice.