Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you use dishwasher?

I've been saying for years that we need to slash our electricity bill, but DH was adamant that he never wastes any electricity - I seriously beg to differ. Today he was reading some analysis bill and saw in black and white that we are using WAY more electricity than similar properties in the area.

He naturally blames me and vice versa!

He says I use the dishwasher too often - which I probably do as washing dishes in one of my worst chores.

How often do you all use your dishwashers and how do you keep your electricity bills low? We don't have a tumble dryer, so that's not the culprit.

Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My slimline dishwasher goes on 2 or 3 times a day. It's only sharp knives that don't go in and a couple of our nicer glasses. If stuff isn't too dirty then I do a short wash to save power. We have solar panels so I always try and run it during the day e.g. it was full last night, but I waited until this morning to put it on.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dishewasher- 1 short 30min wash and one full wash per day is average for us.
    Have you used an energy monitor thing that shows your usage? I borrowed one once- useful to see and you can turn things on/off and see what the usage actually is.
    It might be you have a lot of electronics on 'stand-by' which is using electricity without you realising.
    Also things like only boiling the minimum water you need helps.
    And only putting on washing machine when you have a full load, and use minimum programme (lowest temp/wash programme you can get away with).

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I've been saying for years that we need to slash our electricity bill, but DH was adamant that he never wastes any electricity - I seriously beg to differ. Today he was reading some analysis bill and saw in black and white that we are using WAY more electricity than similar properties in the area.

He says I use the dishwasher too often - which I probably do as washing dishes in one of my worst chores.

How often do you all use your dishwashers and how do you keep your electricity bills low? We don't have a tumble dryer, so that's not the culprit.
    Always once a day and sometimes twice and I always seem to be using more than similar properties. I'm not extravagant with anything so I think they must all be living in a cold, sink full of dishes and wet clothes hanging about house!!

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

About 3 times a week but there's only my partner and me as well as the mindees

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant! Thanks for your replies - it seems I am not excessive in my use of the dishwasher after all judging by what you all say! Yes, I should look at using shorter cycles more often though. Our neighbours once commented that we use it a lot, but they don't cook and so will obviously use theirs less.

I am convinced it is DH and all his things on stand by, but he swears it isn't. He drives me mad with the kettle too - he puts way more water in than he needs and tells me off when I don't put enough in - he says he gets limescale in his tea. My brother had an energy monitor and he said he was amazed at how much energy that wastes. He is sooooo frugal and watches me like a hawk when I offer to make a brew at his house, lol.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Once a day- twice when the LO's are here...and there are just two of us- but everything inc pots and pans goes in.
    As Moggy said - see if your company gives you a smart meter.
    When we had ours it was fascinating to see the hike in energy use when we put on various equipt. What we did discover was that our living room uplighter lamp...the standard type with a reading spotlight too, caused the meter to spike more than the tumble drier and oven!! We looked at replacing it...but the cost out weighed the savings I think.
    They are good as it tells you your current usage and cost...when I got up at 6am yesterday the standby things and fridge on etc...had cost me £2.87!
    It has made us very aware of our usage.

Recommended way of saving a little - shower together! Our new electric pump spikes loads!

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

At least once a day, sometimes twice.

This is another of the things they should teach us at Childminder School: that you'll use no end of dishwasher tablets, kitchen roll and sticky notes.

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

the dishwasher is on at least 3 times every 2 days!

our bill is higher than other similar properties BUT, I am at home every day, if not all day, and there are always several children in it!

I have an aga that runs on mains gas, and that heats our hot water, but we also use it for boiling the kettle and making toast, as its is always on. I often dry clothes on the airer over it, at night. I don't have a tumble drier. I probably use the washing machine about 8/9 times a week, but several of those washes will be short ones.

Dh leaves tv etc on standby and also computors etc. His bug bear is people leaving lights on when they walk out of a room. ( but he does it too! )

15. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    At least once a day, sometimes twice.

This is another of the things they should teach us at Childminder School: that you'll use no end of dishwasher tablets, kitchen roll and sticky notes.
    I buy finish tablets from Poundland £1 for 10. 10p each, no where else sells it cheaper. ( we have a Poundland next to Sainsbury so easy to nip to).

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I buy finish tablets from Poundland £1 for 10. 10p each, no where else sells it cheaper. ( we have a Poundland next to Sainsbury so easy to nip to).
    Wow, I have never spotted them. I'll definitely look out for those! Thanks for the tip.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

Depends how often he is at work O:-)
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

19. Likes Maza liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Every three days. We only run it when full to the brim. But we will put the rinse cycle on every day. Only lasts 10 mins.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

21. Likes Maza liked this post