Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SLIME!

HELP!

can anyone help with a foolproof recipe for slime?

DD is desperate to make some ... she's followed all sorts of recipes on Youtube - using glue, shaving foam, bicab of soda, contact lens solution and nothing is working! ( all that happens is that I am seriously running out of glue! ) - I'm not allowing her to make any with chemicals/washing detergent etc.

I thought the one on imagination tree would work ... but it hasn't! apparently its all my fault and she is rather cross!

if you've made some and it works, please can you tell me the exact brand of glue etc !!!

thank you xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use imagination tree for my recipes ... is there anything on there?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I use imagination tree for my recipes ... is there anything on there?
    Imagination tree is my usual 'go to' too, and that is the recipe we used...but didn't work 😞

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Short of harvesting slug trails, what do you define as 'slime' and what would regard as it 'working' ?

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    HELP!

can anyone help with a foolproof recipe for slime?

DD is desperate to make some ... she's followed all sorts of recipes on Youtube - using glue, shaving foam, bicab of soda, contact lens solution and nothing is working! ( all that happens is that I am seriously running out of glue! ) - I'm not allowing her to make any with chemicals/washing detergent etc.

I thought the one on imagination tree would work ... but it hasn't! apparently its all my fault and she is rather cross!

if you've made some and it works, please can you tell me the exact brand of glue etc !!!

thank you xx
    From what our school age mindees say it has to be clear Elmer's glue a brand from USA and not sold in Hobbycraft! I found some on ebay/Amazon but it looked expensive!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snortlet View Post
    From what our school age mindees say it has to be clear Elmer's glue a brand from USA and not sold in Hobbycraft! I found some on ebay/Amazon but it looked expensive!
    Thanks!

Imagination tree just say 'pva' !

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dd informs me for slime to work the best way is to use Borax but its not something i want to use with little ones. Our slime has failed when I tried the pva one too.

I know some minders say using aldis own brand of washing liquid works but again not something i would use for my little ones
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Dd informs me for slime to work the best way is to use Borax but its not something i want to use with little ones. Our slime has failed when I tried the pva one too.

I know some minders say using aldis own brand of washing liquid works but again not something i would use for my little ones

glad its not just me who can't get it to work!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so has anyone had any luck with slime?

This morning we went to a much anticipated slime making session at our library - it turns out they were making gloop - the cornflour and water one. Although we had fun, we were both disappointed (maybe ungrateful, oops.)

I also read ages ago that it has to be Elmers glue. I noticed they were selling Elmers glue in WH Smith the other day - probably because of the slime epidemic sweeping the UK! I didn't look at the price of it, but I know it is expensive on amazon.

I think it also has to be a particular type of contact lense solution too...

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Thanks!

Imagination tree just say 'pva' !
    Loocyloo, I was just looking up the Imagination Tree's recipes and she does have Elmers glue in brackets on one of her recipes, but has forgotten to put it on the other slime recipes - she just put PVA, so I think it does have to be Elmers. She has affiliate links which would take you to Elmers glue. Digressing now, but I HATE the way bloggers now make everything an affiliate link and sometimes feel that they have done lame blog posts in the hope of getting commission from the affiliate links. That's my moan for the day.

The contact lense solution that you use has to have borax in it too, but they justify it by saying that if it is safe for contact lenses then it is ok for slime, unlike neat borax.

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree... I am fed up with 'links' to everything in blogs!

DD seems to have got over the slime craze ... her friend can make It, came over with all her kit ... and it didn't work ...

How disappointing Maza. I saw a slime making session advertised locally, and although I'm off this week, I thought about going just to have a look! But we made other plans and I didn't get there.

My favourite gloopy stuff at the moment is hair conditioner with cornflour! Coconut smells good and I put the left overs in a zip lock bag, and a few weeks later it's still Good!

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we've done the cornflour and conditioner one - there are some lovely scented cheap conditioners out there!

This week, there was a little free pot of slime with the Horrible Histories magazine and she has loved it - I'm hoping that will suffice, as it seems expensive to make - especially if it doesn't work! I am curious though and would like to try and make it.

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Slime has been in the papers lately ( dangerous ingredients) definitely don’t use borax. Elmer can be purchased from WH Smith’s I believe.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dd has mastered it using pva however it's trial and error which ones work. We find yes from home bargains but No from asda.
    Elmers glue does work the best especially if you can find clear glue.
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 16-08-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

18. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Slime bubbles
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Likes Maza, loocyloo, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's impressive Fussy! Is that just with one cup of glue (plus the other ingredients)?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    That's impressive Fussy! Is that just with one cup of glue (plus the other ingredients)?
    This is several batches mixed up though. I also think this is made with borax. I relented after every slime kit included it.