Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you boil an egg...

...and what am I doing wrong?

We've been eating quite a few boiled eggs lately and I've been really disappointed that they won't peel properly. I cook them the way I always have, but when I peel them half the egg comes away with the shell. I'm left with a messy looking egg rather than a nice smooth one. Very frustrating!!

How do I cook the perfect boiled egg?

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

We've been eating quite a few boiled eggs lately and I've been really disappointed that they won't peel properly. I cook them the way I always have, but when I peel them half the egg comes away with the shell. I'm left with a messy looking egg rather than a nice smooth one. Very frustrating!!

Wow, do you remember me asking this same question about 4/5/6 weeks ago? Or even longer. Think someone suggested it was do to with the age of the egg. Mine are still lumpy. Couldn't display them.

3. Likes Mouse liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Apparantly you are supposed to peel it with a teaspoon- not sure how this is possible.

The fresher the egg the better.
    I boil mine for about 4 and 1/2 mins
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    Wow, do you remember me asking this same question about 4/5/6 weeks ago? Or even longer. Think someone suggested it was do to with the age of the egg. Mine are still lumpy. Couldn't display them.
    Egg gate part 2!

Just joking (obviously)! I think yes, it is to do with the age of the egg.

7. Likes BallyH, Mouse liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

Egg gate part 2!

Reading this ... i just had to make myself an egg sandwich! ... yes, rather late for lunch but first 5 minutes I've had to myself to sit down!

9. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    I must have missed that! I'm sorry you're suffering as well, but at least I know I'm not alone

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Egg gate part 2!

I think you mean "just yolking!!"

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did wonder if it was to do with the age of the eggs.

I boiled 2 the other day, both out of the same box, both obviously cooked the same way. One peeled beautifully (very satisfying!) but the other one was a mess. Maybe someone slipped an old egg into the box!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Reading this ... i just had to make myself an egg sandwich! ... yes, rather late for lunch but first 5 minutes I've had to myself to sit down!

I'm doing Slimming World at the moment, so not having any bread. I don't really miss it, but at the moment an egg sandwich does sound tempting!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing Slimming World at the moment, so not having any bread. I don't really miss it, but at the moment an egg sandwich does sound tempting!
    Good luck. I've just reached target (3.5 weeks now and counting) and am really feeling the pressure to keep it off. I also have stopped eating bread but if someone asked me if I wanted an egg sandwich the old me would think 'yum, creamy butter, lots of yummy mayo and oh yeah egg'. So best I stay away from bread and just have the egg on it's own. I've become a fan of poached eggs especially when the yolk is soft.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was given an egg boiler for a wedding present in the 70's from a friend who was German.
    They were not yet in the UK and all my family thought it was crazy....why do you need a machine to boil an egg?
    I love it - it lasted about 27 years. You can choose soft medium or hard and it turns out perfect, no matter whether the eggs are fresh or not. When it died we missed it ..then we bought a Bosch version from the Food show.
    Now they are everywhere.

Amazon.co.uk: egg boiler: Home & Kitchen

I do recommend them.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I was given an egg boiler for a wedding present in the 70's from a friend who was German.
    They were not yet in the UK and all my family thought it was crazy....why do you need a machine to boil an egg?
    I love it - it lasted about 27 years. You can choose soft medium or hard and it turns out perfect, no matter whether the eggs are fresh or not. When it died we missed it ..then we bought a Bosch version from the Food show.
    Now they are everywhere.

Amazon.co.uk: egg boiler: Home & Kitchen

I do recommend them.
    My mum has one and loves it!

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

It is to do with the age of an egg. a fresh one is hard to peel but an older one is easy peasy.Eggs from a supermarket could of been there a couple of weeks so easier to peel. fresh ones from your own chickens a flipping nuisance to peel!!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It is to do with the age of an egg. a fresh one is hard to peel but an older one is easy peasy.Eggs from a supermarket could of been there a couple of weeks so easier to peel. fresh ones from your own chickens a flipping nuisance to peel!!!
    Just about to say the same - haven't peeled an egg nicely for a salad since we had our own hens.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Call yourself childminders?

You should never boil an egg without professional training and a fully peer-reviewed risk assessment in place.

Post Thanks / Like

We buy fresh farm eggs and after I have boiled them I always run them under cold water for 5 mins. They usually peel/she'll fine.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Call yourself childminders?

You should never boil an egg without professional training and a fully peer-reviewed risk assessment in place.
    Our LA sent a questionnaire out recently asking what training we wanted. If only I'd thought of suggesting "egg boiling"

24. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I've got it the wrong way round then. I thought it would be the older the egg, the harder it would be to peel. I was thinking I'd have to get myself a couple of chucks so I'd have fresh eggs, but now I know I just need to go and buy the oldest ones I can find in the supermarket!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got it the wrong way round then. I thought it would be the older the egg, the harder it would be to peel. I was thinking I'd have to get myself a couple of chucks so I'd have fresh eggs, but now I know I just need to go and buy the oldest ones I can find in the supermarket!
    Free range are usually less fresh than other classes, since they can go uncollected for days. That probably won't work at the moment, since many free range hens have spent the entire winter in barns this year on account of the weather.