Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default LA LA LAND and other films!

we went to see La La Land yesterday, and enjoyed it.

has anyone else seen it? what did you think? my friend thought the ending should be different, but I was happy with the ending. keep humming the songs, and DS has already started playing a couple of them on the piano.

any other 'must see' films at the moment? DD is keen to see SING, but I'm not struck. we don't go to the cinema very often, but some films look better on a big screen.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh, I'm glad you started this thread! A couple of years ago I got DH cinema vouchers. We still haven't used them and have one week to go before they expire, so we are hoping to go this week. Would DH enjoy Lala Land, or is it a chick flick?

I really, really want to see Bridget Jones' Baby and Girl on the Train, but I'm not sure they are still showing them. DH keeps reminding me that they are his vouchers and so he should get to choose the movie...

I'm not a massive cinema person anymore either, I get frustrated with the amount of trailers and adverts. It's been ages since there has been a great blockbuster movie out.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Ooooh, I'm glad you started this thread! A couple of years ago I got DH cinema vouchers. We still haven't used them and have one week to go before they expire, so we are hoping to go this week. Would DH enjoy Lala Land, or is it a chick flick?

I really, really want to see Bridget Jones' Baby and Girl on the Train, but I'm not sure they are still showing them. DH keeps reminding me that they are his vouchers and so he should get to choose the movie...

I'm not a massive cinema person anymore either, I get frustrated with the amount of trailers and adverts. It's been ages since there has been a great blockbuster movie out.
    DH enjoyed la la land... but he does like musicals and jazz music ... the male lead is a jazz musician and she is a 'wannabe' actress. It is quite spectacular. I would have said the audience was probably 5/8s women to 3/8s men when we saw it, but chatting to male friends who have seen it, they all enjoyed it. (14 yr old ds enjoyed it too!) It is up for loads of awards.

I wanted to see girl on the train but it's not on anywhere now round here ... mind you ... closest cinema is 1/2hr away with 2 screens and then it's an hours drive to a multiplex!

I just asked dh and he said he'd recommend it, but you do have to have an interest in musicals!
    He said all his mates are raving about trainspotting 2 ... doesn't appeal to either of us though!

Good luck.

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I had an unexpected day off on Thursday so I took myself off to the cinema to see La La Land, I thought it was good but not as great as it's been hyped up to be. The ending definitely got me thinking and I'm not sure if that's because I thought it was good or bad.

I got those monthly cinema passes for me and my son last Easter holidays, it's £17.40 a month which isn't even two cinema trips! It's meant that we go and see a lot of films that we probably wouldn't have bothered with if we didn't have the passes.

We went to see Lego Batman today, fantastic! We saw Sing last weekend, another great one.

I sometimes go on my own during the day when I have no kids, it's a fab time to go as the cinema is usually quiet and there's usually a good few other people there on their own so I don't feel like a complete saddo!

Next on my list are Trainspotting 2, Hidden Figures and Beauty and the Beast.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kellib View Post
    I had an unexpected day off on Thursday so I took myself off to the cinema to see La La Land, I thought it was good but not as great as it's been hyped up to be. The ending definitely got me thinking and I'm not sure if that's because I thought it was good or bad.

I got those monthly cinema passes for me and my son last Easter holidays, it's £17.40 a month which isn't even two cinema trips! It's meant that we go and see a lot of films that we probably wouldn't have bothered with if we didn't have the passes.

We went to see Lego Batman today, fantastic! We saw Sing last weekend, another great one.

I sometimes go on my own during the day when I have no kids, it's a fab time to go as the cinema is usually quiet and there's usually a good few other people there on their own so I don't feel like a complete saddo!

Next on my list are Trainspotting 2, Hidden Figures and Beauty and the Beast.
    Thanks, the pass sounds like a good idea. I'm looking forward to lego batman!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to get to see La La Land for weeks, but thwarted by things cropping up at the last minute every time. I'm looking forward to it, though a little wary that it might just be another of those films about Hollywood being too much in love with itself.

I saw Sing at the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I take the grandchildren to movies and I'm surprised by how good the children's films are. One of the best I saw last year was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I also liked Fantastic Beasts, which came as a surprise since I'd rather draw my own teeth than watch a Harry Potter. Oh, and I admit to crying during Trolls.

T2 Trainspotting is outstanding. I very nearly peed my pants laughing during the scene in the Protestant club.

My favourite film last year was Adult Life Skills, followed by Arrival, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople (I just loved the social services woman). I also enjoyed a Christmas Eve screening of It's a Wonderful Life and the reissued Donnie Darko, even if I didn't have a black Nirvana hoodie to wear.

Disappointments were Asterix Mansion of the Gods and, to some extent, Swallows and Amazons, as well as I Daniel Blake. I much preferred Sleaford Mods Invisible Britain than I Daniel Blake.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    DH enjoyed la la land... but he does like musicals and jazz music ... the male lead is a jazz musician and she is a 'wannabe' actress. It is quite spectacular. I would have said the audience was probably 5/8s women to 3/8s men when we saw it, but chatting to male friends who have seen it, they all enjoyed it. (14 yr old ds enjoyed it too!) It is up for loads of awards.

I wanted to see girl on the train but it's not on anywhere now round here ... mind you ... closest cinema is 1/2hr away with 2 screens and then it's an hours drive to a multiplex!

I just asked dh and he said he'd recommend it, but you do have to have an interest in musicals!
    He said all his mates are raving about trainspotting 2 ... doesn't appeal to either of us though!

Good luck.
    Not sure if you have read the book "Girl on the train" - if so everyone who has read it and then sees the film is really disappointed - I loved the book so am not going to bother with the film.

10. Likes BallyH liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post

Not sure if you have read the book "Girl on the train" - if so everyone who has read it and then sees the film is really disappointed - I loved the book so am not going to bother with the film.
    Oooo, thanks for that. I loved the book, so maybe I won't bother! Maybe if you've read the book, then you know the 'twist' as such and so the film doesn't work.

Bunyip ... I'd forgotten about miss peregrines home for peculiar children... i really wanted to see that after I heard Tim Burton say that he only cast children who seemed to have a 'peculiarness' at audition!