Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: TOP OF THE POPS

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default TOP OF THE POPS

Do i enjoy watching it at Christmas because of the nostalgia or should BBC bring it back
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, we always used to watch Top of the Pops on Christmas day! It wasn't live though was it? Did it announce Christmas number 1 or did we have to wait for the official chart show on the radio to find out who was Christmas number one?

Did it also used to be on on a Thursday night? About 7pm?

Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Things were so different then weren't they? Top of the Pops was on a Thursday 7 or 7.30 I think and nothing was live then if I remember correctly. I do remember listening to the radio whilst in bed on a Sunday night for the top 40, unfortunately I never stayed awake long enough to hear the number one record as it was on from 11.00p.m. to midnight! Much more exciting then me thinks!!

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I can remember the days when we used to drive back from my grandparents house on a Sunday evening and listen to the Top 40 on the radio. Very often it hadn't got to number 1 by the time we got home so my dad and I would sit in the car outside the house listening to the rest of the show. I wouldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years old then.

We also used to watch Top of The Pops religiously. I remember the first time Boy George was on and none of us could decide if it was a woman or a man!

And who is old enough to remember the days of Pans People?

6. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely old enough unfortunately! and radio Caroline !!

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris goodyear View Post
    Definitely old enough unfortunately! and radio Caroline !!
    Radio caroline! That takes me back. My brother used to put his radio under his pillow at night n listen to it. As we only had s 2 bedroom house my dad partitioned off a part for him and me and my sister shared the larger bit. He is the eldest and I'm the youngest and it still reminds me of those nights if I here a radio on late at night when everything else is quiet. Aahh I feel all nostalgic now.

9. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to tape the top40 every week and listen to it all week. When my dad died I found the tapes - 30 years later!

Pans people - I started off liking them and we had a little group that would make up dances to go with the top tunes...all flared trousers and bell sleeves. Then they became very 'suggestive' in their dances until, as a budding feminist, I objected vocally throughout each performance and frustrated my family.

Big Radio Caroline fan, my dad protested as he was an upstanding citizen and a special Constable and it was technically illegal....that made it more attractive and compulsive listening.

I liked Top of the Pops as it used to show a variety of genres playing so I sometimes liked songs that were not in my usual listening radar. I liked seeing the groups too- putting faces on the groups I heard on the Top 40. I didn't mind the miming thing, though DH tells me this was a big issue for him. I wanted to go and be one of the people dancing in the audience...desperately.

It wouldn't work now, you tube has replaced it I think, bands are too big and the bbc could never afford anyone decent....could work for up and coming bands/ singers though.
    I love watching the bbc cover of any music festivals- Glastonbury being a favourite - we watched it early hours this morning again after we got back from friends and Jools. Suffering from sleep issues today though.

11. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats Radio Caroline??!

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a 'pirate' radio station that played pop songs and lots of later on famous DJs started on there such as Tony Blackburn. As earlier stated it was illegal so they used a ship that they anchored just 3 miles off the Essex coast and they couldn't be touched by the authorities. Later on they were joined by another which was Radio London (my memory has deserted me so correct me if I'm wrong) but I liked Radio Caroline and stayed with them for many years. No other radio station in those days played 'rubbish pop songs' as they called them so it was a bit of a youth rebellion!

15. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I can remember the days when we used to drive back from my grandparents house on a Sunday evening and listen to the Top 40 on the radio. Very often it hadn't got to number 1 by the time we got home so my dad and I would sit in the car outside the house listening to the rest of the show. I wouldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years old then.

We also used to watch Top of The Pops religiously. I remember the first time Boy George was on and none of us could decide if it was a woman or a man!

And who is old enough to remember the days of Pans People?
    I think the episode with boy George is on bbc4 now
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door