Have you got your tree up yet?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    7,002
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Have you got your tree up yet?

    We havent its planned for next week but I feel like Im the only person who hasnt.

    Other than that are you all having a good saturday. DD2 had football this morning and I feel like Im only just warming up.

    Plans for the night are have party food for tea as Im feeling lazy and then watch strictly snuggled up. I still have this stupid cough so a lazy night doing nothing sounds wonderful.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,025
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ours has been up since last Saturday. Usually up on the 1st though. I've had a lovely Saturday. My DD2's Xmas present for me this year was an afternoon tea on a bus tour round London. It's was so festive going round seeing all the lights and Xmas trees. Now planning a lazy evening in front of the telly with a glass of wine.

  3. Likes Pixie dust, Maza, Mouse liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    736
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We haven't got ours up yet as hubby works away, the boys are away at uni and the decorations are in the loft which I don't go up in to so have to wait until next weekend when dh will be home !

    My Saturday night consists of me home alone watching tv with a cuppa but I think I am going to find a good book to read as not much on.
    Pixie Dust

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,302
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No tree up yet. I usually do it 12 days before Christmas. Christmassy bits and bobs are appearing though as DD makes crafts. I got her a few kits from the £ shop and the ones she has put together so far have been really good quality and look good on display. If anyone pops into Poundland I can recommend the polystyrene snowman kit and the foam Rudolf and sleigh.

    Did chores all day but tonight we went to Christmas at Kew, which was fantastic. We go to toast marshmellows which DD and I have been wanting to do for ages. I haven't warmed up yet either though Fussy and I still have my stupid cough too - it's really lingering! I want to watch Strictly but DH has just put some daft futuristic film on and seeing as he cooked dinner tonight and has been my taxi service I think I would be pushing it if I asked him to turn it over.

    Pixie dust your evening sounds just wonderful and Sylvia what an amazing present! Where did you embark and disembark if you don't mind me asking?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,867
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    Ours has been up since last Saturday. Usually up on the 1st though. I've had a lovely Saturday. My DD2's Xmas present for me this year was an afternoon tea on a bus tour round London. It's was so festive going round seeing all the lights and Xmas trees. Now planning a lazy evening in front of the telly with a glass of wine.
    Awww that sounds lovely.

    Maza; Christmas at Kew sounds great too .. when we lived in the south we often talked about going, but just never got there!

    We usually put the tree up on Advent Sunday but were debating a real tree so didn't! We've now decided not a real tree ... have a sneaking suspicion the cats would climb and destroy a real tree, where as they weren't really bothered by the fake one last year!
    Hopefully we'll get tree put up tomorrow.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,025
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    No tree up yet. I usually do it 12 days before Christmas. Christmassy bits and bobs are appearing though as DD makes crafts. I got her a few kits from the £ shop and the ones she has put together so far have been really good quality and look good on display. If anyone pops into Poundland I can recommend the polystyrene snowman kit and the foam Rudolf and sleigh.

    Did chores all day but tonight we went to Christmas at Kew, which was fantastic. We go to toast marshmellows which DD and I have been wanting to do for ages. I haven't warmed up yet either though Fussy and I still have my stupid cough too - it's really lingering! I want to watch Strictly but DH has just put some daft futuristic film on and seeing as he cooked dinner tonight and has been my taxi service I think I would be pushing it if I asked him to turn it over.

    Pixie dust your evening sounds just wonderful and Sylvia what an amazing present! Where did you embark and disembark if you don't mind me asking?
    It starts n ends at Victoria coach station. Very well organised. It's BB Bakery bus tour. They have a tea room in Covent Garden where they load up. We came from Orpington to Victoria and walked to the coach station. My DD2 works in Kew
    And she wants us to do Kew Christmas. She went last year and thought it was amazing

  8. Likes Maza liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,302
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Small world Sylvia! Kew is lovely, you should do it if you get the chance.

    I'll look into that bus tour, Victoria Station works for us! I do try to limit my big/more costly outings to one per Christmas (last year we did Kensington Palace, also lovely) but as we are trying to move out of London I'm thinking I should stretch myself to more. I'd love to do Ham House, Polesdon Lacy (sp) and a few others. x

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,978
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Our Christmas tree used to always go up on the first day of Christmas holiday night, Christmas music and a glass of port, coal fire stacked... We didn't do it earlier as we were just too busy. Christmas in schools is lovely but hard work, so much to do out of school hours to make Christmas lovely during school days : Making nativity costumes and props, pre preparing craft activities and music lessons to make them Christmassy, Christmas decorations all on top of planning for the new year, assessing this terms learning, writing reports and attending parents evenings plus Christmas fayre prep and attendance and Pupil progress meetings to be prepared for and small gifts for the children sourced, bought and wrapped.
    So a relaxing start to the holiday.
    Over the last few years without the pressure of School we have brought it forward but my other problem is also that in order to have a big tree I have to move all the furniture in the living room, which then reduces space....not good for LO's and I am always aware of space available calculations!

    As youngest is home for a visit this week I intend to have a grand Christmas tree purchase day. We just happen to buy ours from a local 'vineyard' ....so always a nice visit. We will put it in the tub and leave it outside for a week...then bring it in to the garage....the utility...then I think it will continue its way to the living room by the 17th ...nicely acclimatised so it lasts until the 12 th day after Christmas.
    Most of my cul de sac has their outdoor lights up now....DH is under pressure to join them.

  11. Likes Maza liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,981
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Our tree usually goes up by about the 20th December and down again on New Years Day.

    DH says I'm a Bah Humbug, but I'm really not. I love Christmas and all the decorations, I just don't want to live in them for weeks and weeks. Maybe if I didn't work from home I'd appreciate them more. Also, if DH went for low key and tasteful I might like them more, but he goes so over the top with tacky decorations on every surface and stuff just everywhere. I let him decorate the 'boy lounge' the way he wants to then I decorate 'my room' (which also doubles as the playroom) in a more tasteful, understated way

  13. Likes Maza liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,302
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh Mouse you do make me laugh when you talk Christmas!

    A few years ago mine looked really cluttered (think I might be a bit like your hubby) and so now I pack away lots of my every day ornaments/standing photo frames, toys etc and put them in the boxes that the decorations come out of. Now I feel like I can breath as well as have a tacky grotto wannabe in each room.

    I did love the 80s decorations though - tacky as they were. Does everyone just love the era that they grew up in, or were the 80s just unique? There have been quite a few 80s style ceiling and wall decorations and trees popping up on facebook and they make me go all tingly!

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,981
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Oh Mouse you do make me laugh when you talk Christmas!

    A few years ago mine looked really cluttered (think I might be a bit like your hubby) and so now I pack away lots of my every day ornaments/standing photo frames, toys etc and put them in the boxes that the decorations come out of. Now I feel like I can breath as well as have a tacky grotto wannabe in each room.

    I did love the 80s decorations though - tacky as they were. Does everyone just love the era that they grew up in, or were the 80s just unique? There have been quite a few 80s style ceiling and wall decorations and trees popping up on facebook and they make me go all tingly!
    That's what DH likes, the bright, colourful 80s ceiling decorations - start them all off from the light in the middle of the ceiling and stretch them out to the corners! The bigger and bolder, the better, as far as he's concerned.

    My decorations are white and silver and sparkly, but gentle twinkly white sparkle, not in your face flashing every colour under the sun, headache inducing, pattern changing, Blackpool illumination type decorations. I like to go and look at those on other people's houses, just not in mine!

  16. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,302
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's what DH likes, the bright, colourful 80s ceiling decorations - start them all off from the light in the middle of the ceiling and stretch them out to the corners! The bigger and bolder, the better, as far as he's concerned.

    My decorations are white and silver and sparkly, but gentle twinkly white sparkle, not in your face flashing every colour under the sun, headache inducing, pattern changing, Blackpool illumination type decorations. I like to go and look at those on other people's houses, just not in mine!
    Oh they sound utterly fabulous!! I don't quite do the ceiling decorations anymore - well, I can't reach the ceiling in this flat even with our step ladders, or who knows! My mum probably still does though, and she used to have one dangling in between each of the chain decorations. A bit of tinsel or fake holly on top of/around each picture frame or mirror... I always loved those 3D plastic wall decorations in the shape of Santa or a snowman but we never had any of those.

    I was just about to say how I just don't get it when people go for all white or monochrome, no matter how sparkly. There were some in the background on a cookery programme I was watching yesterday and it was really bothering me, lol. I kept mentioning it to DH and he was rolling his eyes at me. I was just itching to get in there and bling it all up! I bet yours looks lovely though - I'm just stuck in the 80s when it comes to Christmas and music! Actually, I would like to recreate a Victorian type of tree, but I'm not that creative or that rich - those type of decorations are so expensive!

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    By the sea
    Posts
    8,981
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Oh they sound utterly fabulous!! I don't quite do the ceiling decorations anymore - well, I can't reach the ceiling in this flat even with our step ladders, or who knows! My mum probably still does though, and she used to have one dangling in between each of the chain decorations. A bit of tinsel or fake holly on top of/around each picture frame or mirror... I always loved those 3D plastic wall decorations in the shape of Santa or a snowman but we never had any of those.

    I was just about to say how I just don't get it when people go for all white or monochrome, no matter how sparkly. There were some in the background on a cookery programme I was watching yesterday and it was really bothering me, lol. I kept mentioning it to DH and he was rolling his eyes at me. I was just itching to get in there and bling it all up! I bet yours looks lovely though - I'm just stuck in the 80s when it comes to Christmas and music! Actually, I would like to recreate a Victorian type of tree, but I'm not that creative or that rich - those type of decorations are so expensive!
    Isn't it funny how different we all are!

    I loved the 80s - my growing up years - and have so many wonderful memories of that decade. But I'm not a big fan of the fashions or the music! Wham's Last Christmas is my least favourite Christmas song ever

  18. #14
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,302
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Isn't it funny how different we all are!

    I loved the 80s - my growing up years - and have so many wonderful memories of that decade. But I'm not a big fan of the fashions or the music! Wham's Last Christmas is my least favourite Christmas song ever
    It is my favourite song EVER! I play it so many times over Christmas that I have made DH hate it more than he already did, but I've made DD love it so he is outnumbered. I'm sure on Christmas day as the booze settles in my renditions of it become more and more intolerable, but I love it! DH refused to buy me the Wham's greatest hits re-release (or whatever it was called) about 10 years ago but we spent Christmas eve at my brother's house and he had bought it for his wife and so poor DH was subjected to it all of Christmas day anyway! It was a 'use you hairbrush as a microphone' day and we loved it!

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,025
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My DD1 does hers gold n white. DD2 has decorated my tree since DD1 moved out 7 years ago and she goes for gold silver and red with white lights. We buy a special bauble each year when we go out together and they are all glass. So this year we have DD1, her husband and nearly 2 year old son living with us and the tree is multicoloured; tinsel, lights and baubles. It's different and has none of the special glass baubles on and I'm quite liking it. Not sure if I'll do the same next year though. My Christmas song is frosty the snowman and it's not Christmas until I've heard it. Luckily I heard it the last week of November so I'm ok with DD1 doing the house up like santas grotto now!

  20. Likes Maza liked this post
  21. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    in the never never land fighting off fae
    Posts
    7,002
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Our tree usually goes up by about the 20th December and down again on New Years Day.

    DH says I'm a Bah Humbug, but I'm really not. I love Christmas and all the decorations, I just don't want to live in them for weeks and weeks. Maybe if I didn't work from home I'd appreciate them more. Also, if DH went for low key and tasteful I might like them more, but he goes so over the top with tacky decorations on every surface and stuff just everywhere. I let him decorate the 'boy lounge' the way he wants to then I decorate 'my room' (which also doubles as the playroom) in a more tasteful, understated way
    Is your dh related to mine as mine does that Christmas tat to high heaven too. Shame he never thinks about buying anymore as they seemingly get out every time he does remember to buy some.

    I know it's nostalgia but why haven't they made new ones by now.....

    Love all the Christmas carols
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

  22. Likes Maza liked this post
  23. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,857
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No tree here but have a few bits and bobs decoration wise. We are just so busy at the moment with one thing and another there never seems enough time.

  24. Likes loocyloo liked this post
  25. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,867
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post

    Awww that sounds lovely.

    Maza; Christmas at Kew sounds great too .. when we lived in the south we often talked about going, but just never got there!

    We usually put the tree up on Advent Sunday but were debating a real tree so didn't! We've now decided not a real tree ... have a sneaking suspicion the cats would climb and destroy a real tree, where as they weren't really bothered by the fake one last year!
    Hopefully we'll get tree put up tomorrow.
    Tree now up ... completely done by DS and DD :0)

    They have also put all the other decorations up and lights in random places! But we're quite minimal with little ornaments standing around.
    I like to hang things from all the door handles through out the house so we have a selection of teddies, angels, Santa's, bells etc.

  26. Likes Maza, FloraDora, SYLVIA liked this post
  27. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4,125
    Registered Childminder since
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have all my mums , and mums mums old vintage glas ornaments interspersed with pretty things i have picked up over the years. Part of me loves the thought of your children decorating the tree loocyloo - but Im afraid that noone else is allowed near the tree here! It takes me hours and hours , and is special me time , each decoration having a memory .
    I look at other peoples perfectly matching with large baubles and matching tinsel and think they look lovely...but theyre not for me.
    I hate tinsel with a passion , my swags are beads , even the kids dont have tinsel out this year for the play tree. They have bangles and beads instead.
    Those hanging ceiling decs make me cringe too , not my thing at all...which is strange as Im a fan of most things 80s. I had the pedal ushers and puff ball skirts , I was a duranie , I had the choose life tshirts.........

  28. Likes loocyloo, Maza, FloraDora liked this post
  29. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Teetering....
    Posts
    4,079
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    No - Bah humbug!


    Ours will normally go up about 2 weeks before Christmas BUT a bit dubious as we have a puppy this year and last year hubby decided not to put it up as we had 2 dogs and 4 cats so add a puppy to the mix but he is saying it is going up!

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
Have you got your tree up yet? Have you got your tree up yet? Have you got your tree up yet?

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk