Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where has the word mauve gone

When I was younger we had the colour, mauve. We had purple or violet for dark deep colour and lilac for light shades. The mindees I've had over the past years all refer to this colour as purple, no matter what the shade. I'm I wrong to now use these variations of shade or is everything now purple!!
    Last edited by SYLVIA; 04-11-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha! This thread made me laugh! I read the word mauve tonight to DD in Harry Potter - one of the witches was wearing a mauve cloak. She also didn't know which colour it was which surprised me because we have discussed it in front of her quite recently. Hubby pronounces it 'moav' while I pronounce it kind of like 'morv' but without saying the 'r' sound, if that makes any sense. How do you pronounce it?

I haven't heard of 'bolet' but we did use burgundy, maroon, lilac and violet a lot.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    How do you pronounce it?
    I pronounce it to rhyme with stove.

You don't hear it used as a colour much, do you? I'm sure there always used to be a mauve in the Crayola crayons.

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

You don't hear it used as a colour much, do you? I'm sure there always used to be a mauve in the Crayola crayons.
    Haha Mouse, I thought of you because I was also reminded about the Crayola crayons and we both discussed them a while back! You pronounce it the same way as my hubby.

6. Likes Mouse liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I pronounce it like that too

But its not a word we use really.....................................everyth ing is purple here
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha Mouse, I thought of you because I was also reminded about the Crayola crayons and we both discussed them a while back! You pronounce it the same way as my hubby.
    I'm sure there's some correlation between the decline in the use of Crayola crayons and the decline in use of colour names. What's happened to scarlet, turquiose, aquamarine, chartreuse, vermillion, and sunshine yellow? When we used to colour we'd look for the specific name on the crayon. Plain old 'blue' always seemed a bit of a boring choice when you had so many variations to chose from.

9. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of words have disappeared - I think it's just the way language changes over time. Look at school children and the words they come out with (don't mean 'naughty ' words!) If I say to my 10 and 6 year old grandaughters the word 'oblong' which was what I used as a child they say 'what's that?' as now it's 'rectangle'. I still say let's go to the pictures but get corrected as it's the cinema! I think you can tell people's age by the way they speak lol.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mouse we definitely both have fond memories of the Crayola crayons! I think some of the names of those have 'evolved' though too. I just looked at one of DD's called 'Macaroni and Cheese'. Definitely don't think we had that one when we were little but I remember all the ones you mentioned.

Moving away from colours, I still occasionally say "Shall we watch a video" or "Shall we tape it?"

I think I've been pronouncing 'mauve' incorrectly all my life!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha yep it's definitely mauve to rhyme with stove! Although it's made me realise that from a crayon point of view I only have 1 version of each colour anyway so I wouldn't differentiate the name as I only have 1 purple!

Also used to say oblong - where has that name gone?!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

so - an oblong and a rectangle arent the same thing. A rectangle is a parallelogram with 4 90 degree angles. A rectangle is either a square or an oblong. oblong means elongated ..so an elongated square. A square is a rectangle where all sides have the same length.
    clear?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    When I was younger we had the colour, mauve. We had purple or violet for dark deep colour and lilac for light shades. The mindees I've had over the past years all refer to this colour as purple, no matter what the shade. I'm I wrong to now use these variations of shade or is everything now purple!!
    If you want to know where colour-words go to die, look no further than mail-order clothes catalogues. These are now the final resting place of: mauve, burgundy, heather (is this lighter or darker than lilac ?), sage, charcoal, and my all-time favourite colour word (and I'm d4mned if I recall what it looks like): the enigmatic 'taupe'.

One subversive way to revive these words is to introduce them into our mindees' action-song-time. If CMs acted as one, we could influence the vocabulary of a generation. As in:-

Mummy: "So what did you do at bunyip's house today?"

Mindee: "I've been bouncing up and down on a terracotta* tractor."

* Or aubergine, avocado, beige, battleship grey, dark-battleship-grey, azure, carmine, cerise, etc. etc. etc.

15. Likes Mouse, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Periwinkle.

That's another disappearing colour.

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

periwinkle??

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Periwinkle.

That's definitely in our current Crayola box!

19. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

That's definitely in our current Crayola box!
    Well, I'm glad to hear it

My mindees are all little and only just starting to recognise colours. We're sticking to the plain old red, green, blue etc for now but as soon they they grasp those we're going to branch out and I'll introduce them to the wonders of Crayola colours

21. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    periwinkle??
    It's a lovely light blue colour

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Periwinkle.

I know periwinkle it's from the just fab ads.

Oh no maybe bunyip is right 😂😂
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember rightly there was a backlash about the names of certain colours re paints as the descriptive names didn't correspond to the colour years ago and people ended up buying a colour they didn't want/like. Think the same happened with hair colours eg Parisian sunset often thought to be a blonde was in fact a burgundy red. Maybe this is why some of our colour names have disappeared ??

25. Likes Maza liked this post