Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: BONFIRE WEEKEND

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default BONFIRE WEEKEND

Do you celebrate?

Do you go to an organised display or have a fireworks at home?

We went to a display on Monday as it was twinned with an Halloween theme. But there was no guy on the bonfire but as that ritual died off now? Used to love making a guy with my brother and yes we used to stand outside our local pub it was a profitable week but then again the pub was the next street down and everyone knew us.

Other than that its been a busy week eldest ds got his duke of Edinburgh bronze last night. Dd has a football game tomorrow which is quite a distance away so we are off on our adventures again. Ds has a game on Sunday and dd has her photo shoot for the dance show on Sunday.

The year is going so quick dare I mention its Christmas soon

Have a great weekend everyone xx
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We normally go to an organised display but we are off to visit youngest at uni this weekend.......it will be the first time I have seen him since he left middle of September
    Pixie Dust

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We're off to a little bonfire/fireworks celebration at our local church, about 1 minute from home. There is a huge one at our local park, complete with funfair and loud music but it costs quite a bit and I prefer our little one anyway. They make a lovely warm apple cider there and I'm determined to have a hot dog this year. DH doesn't normally do junk food but I'm going back to my roots in the name of tradition. DH isn't English and so he doesn't understand any Bonfire Night traditions. I used to love black peas up north on Bonfire night.

I also used to love making a guy and yes, it was lucrative!

I've always done a hedgehog craft and/or baking too, to remind the children to tell their families to check for hedgehogs before they light their bonfires. It said on Good Morning today that they could be extinct within 10 years!

Congratulations to your eldest DS Fussy!

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    We normally go to an organised display but we are off to visit youngest at uni this weekend.......it will be the first time I have seen him since he left middle of September
    Ohhhh, enjoy your big hug when you greet him. My middle one surprised us on Tuesday evening. He knocked the front door at 6.20pm to surprise us. Previously said he couldn't come home this week. He was all hot and sweaty as he had just walked the 40mins from the train station carrying his rucksack and skateboard. But it was just fab seeing him stand there!

6. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to take my daughters to a display when they were younger. We used to go to blackheath. It was an amazing 20 minute display and it was free. I don't usually go anywhere now but watch loads from my window instead

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great achievement on the Dof E bronze - proud son and parents I expect. Is he carrying on to silver? I think the DofE is the best scheme out, but I heard that they are struggling to get tutors at the moment. My lads went through to gold and it gave them such wide experiences and developed their confidence big time on the expeditions.
    I am spending the weekend at the historic docks, revisiting the Mary Rose and Victory etc... Oldest son's choice of family break for his birthday. We last went when he was 10 ! Looking forward to catch up celebratory dinner at Brasserie Blanc and just hanging out together. ...we have a balcony so we've just madly purchased giant sparklers ( both boys wondered about missing bonfire night) to write names with and draw pictures tomorrow night. It seems Portsmouths fire work display was last weekend but I expect we'll see some home smaller fireworks as we are a fair way up.
    We always hosted on Bonfirenight, having a small fire in our fire bin. Pork baps and crackling was always on the menu...I miss those days when the boys got excited about our parties. I had a really strict rule of no alcohol until fireworks so we always had a great display first and I locked away any unused fireworks. I learn't Alcohol and fireworks is not a good mix ....in the 70's, pre children, we hosted ...but as we were grown ups the fireworks came later and I was always worried about the antics! No accidents but I don't know how!

DH has made some bonfire cakes ....just like we used to have, by request from youngest. I love that they still want to take part in traditions with family.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Great achievement on the Dof E bronze - proud son and parents I expect. Is he carrying on to silver? I think the DofE is the best scheme out, but I heard that they are struggling to get tutors at the moment. My lads went through to gold and it gave them such wide experiences and developed their confidence big time on the expeditions.
    Yes hes carrying on to silver luckily the cadets he attends has several d of e instructors based there. They had 21 pass their bronze. The practise expeditions start in march

Dh has brought fireworks (not sure who is the biggest kid )

Fingers crossed for the dry weather to continue
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

DS has just started his bronze DofE ... the first time they went out ... not even a mile away from school ... dropped off by minibus ...they got lost trying to get back to school! (funny thing is ... if they had walked in a straight line at any given point, they would have come to a road! )

We used to have loads of free local fireworks events - they would sell food etc and take donations and they were fundraiser for the local area. but local council got all 'health and safety' and so none of them happen any more, which is a shame. Think my lot are off to a local town tonight to watch fireworks.

I'm going to visit a friend ( can't think when i last went away ON MY OWN, overnight, without it being family! ) and we may wander down to the beach to watch fireworks, or we may just stay in!

have a good weekend everyone

xxx

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter did her Gold walk in July with the cadets. She was terrified before she went, but had a fantastic few days.

She has really enjoyed the three awards, and would recommend it to everyone ( especially if you do it with the cadets as they do it really cheaply)

13. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone going to a bonfire tonight or did you all go at the weekend?

My school has an amazing bonfire and firework display and I did get free tickets for myself and DD on Saturday, but when it came to it we were exhausted and she couldn't be bothered going. I was soooo relieved. I really didn't feel like being anywhere near work after spending part of my weekend there anyway doing admin.

We haven't done any crafts, baking or anything this year. Work is all consuming at the minute and it makes me sad. Having said that, DD and I have done most of the pinterest crafts anyway over the years, so it's harder to find something that is interesting to an almost ten year old which is linked to Bonfire night.

Stay safe everyone if you do go to a display!

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we didn't go and won't be going !

i'm a bit sad, as i do love fireworks, but weekend was just too manic to add firework displays into the mix, and tonight no one is home in time!

There are only 2 events locally ... one at the weekend closest to Bonfire night, but they don't even have a bonfire, and another always on bonfire night, but i have never been to that one as parking is a nightmare, and it's too far to walk to ( in the dark, down country lanes ) we don't even seem to have had many 'garden displays' this year either!

i did chalk and glitter fireworks pictures with the children last week, and we watched some displays on youtube, and we'll probably do a bit more about fireworks tomorrow! ( i'm not working today )

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m always a bit conflicted about bonfire night. I love fireworks , but since I found out about the religious oppression that started the whole thing I don’t feel like we should be celebrating. Sill made lovely leaf bonfre pics with the mindees though and I’ll be watching the fireworks from the window....they’re so pretty regardless of the history!

19. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love fireworks.
    DH and I have just had them in the garden with mulled wine and a barbecue.........we nearly couldn’t be bothered but every year for 40 years we have had fireworks on November 5th, I just didn’t want to break the tradition so I am so glad we made the effort. Was lovely just the two of us too.

21. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust, Maza liked this post