Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Bake Off

... so what does anyone think?

I've only caught the last half hour - so showstopper and not really got a feeling for anyone (or their names!), but I like Benjamina (?) and the young lad-Andrew?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    ... so what does anyone think?

I've only caught the last half hour - so showstopper and not really got a feeling for anyone (or their names!), but I like Benjamina (?) and the young lad-Andrew?
    I like selasi (hope that's how you spell it) and Benjamina.

First round was drizzle cake and the jaffa cakes for the technical.

I really need to make jaffa cakes now
    Last edited by FussyElmo; 24-08-2016 at 08:09 PM.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes Kiddleywinks liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Selasi, he seems very chilled. And Andrew seems very supportive and encouraging to the others. I think Val is slightly mad - listening to her cakes to hear of they're done! They all seem like a good bunch and I can't wait for next week's.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstylob View Post
    I like Selasi, he seems very chilled. And Andrew seems very supportive and encouraging to the others. I think Val is slightly mad - listening to her cakes to hear of they're done! They all seem like a good bunch and I can't wait for next week's.
    Was she the one with the really dark lipstick?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Was she the one with the really dark lipstick?
    No val is the one who Paul said to see him after

I think the woman with the dark lipstick was Candice.

But funnily we christened her the girl with the dark lipstick
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This will be the first time I have followed Bake off, I watched a couple last year and oldest son is hooked and so has encouraged me to view this year - but his father does not like Mary Berry and hates the way Paul Hollywood damns people - like last night when he just over criticised ' the dark lipstick' PE teacher. So we don't usually watch it.
    I am keen to follow it this year and I know DH will be interested in the actual baking if he can brace himself through the competition side ( he really does not like any knock out, highly critical competitive tv programme - it's not just MB and PH!) In being interested in all the characters, I completely overlooked the lady who won - she just merrily plodded on, has no distinctive characteristics to draw you to her ( yet) and pulled off the master baker title!
    We had a big discussion after around the fact that the producers are choosing characters that people can assign too and whether this is as important as their baking skills.
    I enjoyed the programme after too - the Chronicles of Nadiya- last years winner - what a wonderful character she is, very professional at presenting too - I think this is the start of a TV career for her! It was so good to find out about Bangladesh through her eyes too.
    I rarely watch TV but it looks like Wednesday night is going to be my goggle box night!

Post Thanks / Like

Can I have a little anti bake off rant please?!
    I just don't get the appeal of this programme! Don't like MB or PH and find Mel and Sue so desperately unfunny. The innuendos are so tired and boring. Can't warm to the contestants, I like cooking programmes but just don't find the appeal of baking.
    There, sorry, out of my system now!! Enjoy the series though everyone who's watching and enjoys!

10. Likes bunyip, Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did watch it last night, but just couldn't get into it and soon lost interest.

Maybe it was the fact they were making jaffa cakes - I don't like jaffa cakes at all and couldn't see why anyone would want to make them!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I did watch it last night, but just couldn't get into it and soon lost interest.

Maybe it was the fact they were making jaffa cakes - I don't like jaffa cakes at all and couldn't see why anyone would want to make them!
    Now it was the Jaffa cake section that interested me ! I have never made them but intend too this weekend now. The appeal of a fatless sponge , lovely orange jelly ( fruit - one of the 5 a day??) and a just a little bit of chocolate made me think it could be an almost healthier home made cake option! A bit like the myth of carrot or courgette cakes being good for you!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I just don't get the appeal of this programme! Don't like MB or PH and find Mel and Sue so desperately unfunny. The innuendos are so tired and boring. Can't warm to the contestants, I like cooking programmes but just don't find the appeal of baking.
    There, sorry, out of my system now!! Enjoy the series though everyone who's watching and enjoys!
    I understand a little bit of where you are coming from. But I love baking ...particularly with the children - in fact I think my interest came from baking with my own boys when they were younger and the necessity of knowing how to bake to teach children at school and so that's why I think it might appeal to me. I find the science behind baking interesting, what was happening as mixtures combined last night and the relationship with air was new info for me!

I have only watched one programme and I am defending the series!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I understand a little bit of where you are coming from. But I love baking ...particularly with the children - in fact I think my interest came from baking with my own boys when they were younger and the necessity of knowing how to bake to teach children at school and so that's why I think it might appeal to me. I find the science behind baking interesting, what was happening as mixtures combined last night and the relationship with air was new info for me! I have only watched one programme and I am defending the series!!
    10 million apparently tuned in last night so I am clearly in the minority!! Well not strictly but you know what I mean! :-)

15. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

10 million apparently tuned in last night so I am clearly in the minority!! Well not strictly but you know what I mean! :-)
    But will 10 million continue?? I am interested to see how many watch the middle of the series episode.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I too thought chronicles of nadya was excellent although cod and clementine curry is a step too far!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree absolutely. "B-Off" means something entirely different to me, and I just wish the self-obsessed, fawning, talent-free pair would.

The presenters became tedious even before the first series, in that they are still doing the same old hackneyed routine they've been repeating since Light Lunch and Comedy Breakdown. It was ten years of the same old same old by the time they picked up their first fat unwarranted wedge of license fee money for Cake Off. I could forgive bun-watchers for finding them original as most had probably never seen them before, but six years on, Pur-lease......

I must say I can't get excited about watching people stir eggs. But each to their own. I don't expect people to share my interests, which are equally tedious to other minds than mine. What I just don't get is why everything has to be a competition these days. Why can nobody do anything for the sheer enjoyment anymore? Nobody seems able to make a bun, dance or break their leg on snow any longer without having to prove they are better at it than everyone else.
    Last edited by bunyip; 25-08-2016 at 02:28 PM.

19. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan then Bunyip?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So, do you think of a jaffa cake as a cake or a biscuit?

I know for VAT purposes they're classified as cakes, but I still consider them biscuits!

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not a great example of following food hygiene procedures either.

"Oh no, I just dropped the food on the floor" says Mrs Bun The Bakeoff Competitor, running her unwashed hands through her sweaty, greasy hair. "Well hey-ho" as she proceeds to scrape the mess off the floor with the same bacteria laden fingers and throw it all into the oven to finish off.

At least it's nice to know how much bacteria Mel and Spue will be consuming before the series is done.

24. Likes Dragonfly liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    It's not a great example of following food hygiene procedures either.

"Oh no, I just dropped the food on the floor" says Mrs Bun The Bakeoff Competitor, running her unwashed hands through her sweaty, greasy hair. "Well hey-ho" as she proceeds to scrape the mess off the floor with the same bacteria laden fingers and throw it all into the oven to finish off.

At least it's nice to know how much bacteria Mel and Spue will be consuming before the series is done.
    However better than the 2yo who sneezes into the mix - you all know it's true.

I have watched since the first episode, when I was on a rented house where team kitchen was that small me and dh couldn't both be in there neither mind serve up tea.

I don't mind mb or ph because both their recipes work unlike some celebrity chefs.

But on a more serious note anyone for a jaffa cake lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

26. Likes Maza, bunyip, FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post

But on a more serious note anyone for a jaffa cake lol
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    So, do you think of a jaffa cake as a cake or a biscuit?

I know for VAT purposes they're classified as cakes, but I still consider them biscuits!
    Neither. Jaffa cakes are "fruit", so I can have them as one of my 5-a-day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast