Likes Likes:  33
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Are we all surviving the holidays

And will this heatwave hit Im hearing so much about.

I only have tomorrow to do and i have booked 2 weeks off and dh has the same weeks. Eldest ds is away on camp next monday.

Its been a really miserable day her almost autumn in its feel so Im really hoping the heatwave hits.

Im firmly addicted to the Olympics but the what a decision the velodrome or the women gymnastics.

I have to take my dd2 to the fracture clinic tomorrow as she has managed to break her wrist luckily only a buckle fracture. She can play in an all day tournament but play football with her brother and disaster strikes
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just as the heatwave arrives I am off to Scotland, where the forecast is not so good.
    Sorry to hear about the fracture, you seem to take things in your stride Fussy, I so admire you!

I feel I have rather wasted my holiday so far..on OU courses and decorating and decluttering... but it has been relaxing. So, for the next 10 days I am in holiday mode, no internet, plenty of walking through good scenery, a couple of alphabet date days and a castle stay midweek for a wedding. Though I have not yet solved my dilemma in choice of wedding guest outfit ..my oldest gave me a Salwar kameez outfit for my birthday..a forever dream to wear. But..it is a bit blingy, and not at all Scottish castle wedding theme...but if I don't wear it for a 'do' when will I? I have an alternative, an East dress and Coast jacket...much more relaxed outfit..I have until next Wednesday to make my decision. So all is being packed in the car..just in case.
    We watched 'Julia and Julie ' earlier in the week..a great easy going Meryl Streep film...which has given us the incentive to work through one of our many cookbooks..cooking almost every recipe...we have decided on Rachel Khoo's Little Paris Kitchen. Today DH purchased a cooks blow torch ( he has one in his workshop, but we decided not a good idea!) we ticked off ' salade tiede pomes de terrestrial et pommels aver des miettes de boudin noir' black pudding and potatoes and Creme brûlée for pudding- I cannot believe we have never made the Creme brûlée before...the blow torch helped ( DH loves gadgets..especially since his background is metalworking) delicious...it will be a favourite from now on...he also made giant merangue with the left over egg whites...which we now have to take on our hols!!
    I love the holidays, being at home, experimenting, enjoying my home..and do ( not) the improvements we get time to do. I am almost reluctant to go on holiday and dread the garden issues ( especially in a heatwave) on our return.
    Had a coffee morning at a mindee's home this morning.....interesting to see the LO's in their home setting. Lovely catch up and keep in touch day, but tricky to step aside as when in their home the parents are in charge!

3. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Fussy, hope your DD is ok.

Well I was glued to he gymnastics. Often the ones I love watching aren't the ones who score highly. I love the graceful ones but the powerful ones seem to score better on technicalities. Tonight though I did agree with the order. The Americans are just so solid on their dismounts!

Floradora, no internet for 10 days!! How will we cope without you? Your holiday sounds wonderful. Is it a family wedding?

I am having my best ever summer holiday, obviously due to the fact that I have had no mindees and so DD and I can go anywhere, anytime - instead of us feeling like she is just having to tag along with the younger children. Today we have been to the zoo, yesterday we met her best friend and spent the whole day in a local park and did a clay workshop, we've done several animal handling sessions, she's tried boxing, army assault courses, hurdles...So much free/very cheap stuff has been on offer which we have totally taken advantage of. This Summer will be remembered as the time my DD suddenly found her confidence - she has initiated so many conversations with unfamiliar people in so many contexts and volunteered herself for all sorts of things in public. She's so proud of herself. Long may it continue. This Summer has also seen her reading take off and we're having to go into her room and night and insist that she puts her book away. DH and I both remember our parents having to do this but DD just didn't seem interested in reading for herself. So I'm buzzing right now.

Tomorrow we are having a day at home. DH has decorated our bedroom and so we need to move everything back tomorrow and DD has loads of craft projects that she is keen to get stuck into.

Fitness plan has been going well. I've got a couple of PBs in my parkruns and have lost a few pounds.

Overall I've not been this relaxed and happy in a long time.

Happy holidays everyone. x

5. Likes FloraDora, BallyH, FussyElmo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

:-) Fussy , hope your dd ok.

:-) Flora, enjoy Scotland and the wedding.

:-) Maza, sounds like an ideal summer and how lovely that your dd has found her confidence and love of reading.

This has been my week off, dd has been away at summer school and I pick her up later. I've missed her so much. Ds and I have been out and about, doing things we wouldn't usually do. I've had a lazy week otherwise, not really doing much :-) off on holiday this weekend, and although there is internet; I'm planning an internet free week :-)

Enjoy summer everyone x

7. Likes Maza, FussyElmo liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Fussy, hope your daughter is ok.

Flora, enjoy Scotland. The weather here isn't that bad, honest! I love Julia & Julie, it's one of my all time favourite films.

Maza, how lovely for your daughter to have discovered the joy of reading for pleasure.

We've had a good summer, I've worked the grand total of 4 days and even that felt too much! We've had lots of days out but also lots of chilling out doing nothing days too. It's flown by really.

Our schools go back next Wednesday though so nearly all over for us sadly

9. Likes Maza, FussyElmo, FloraDora liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I got back from Canada last weekend and still feel like I have jetlag....stuggling, I seem to have no time to myself ever, am rushed off my feet and stresed out by being so behind in everything!!

11. Likes Maza, FussyElmo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Kellib you can start counting down to half term soon! Is it just your big Summer holiday that is different in times to ours or is it half terms too?

13. Likes FussyElmo liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    Kellib you can start counting down to half term soon! Is it just your big Summer holiday that is different in times to ours or is it half terms too?
    Ha I've already started! It's 8 weeks from when they go back on Wednesday

I think some half terms are different but not all, we don't get the week in May that you get for example because our summer hols start at the end of June.

15. Likes Maza, FussyElmo liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Only today to go then I'm off for a week. Spent the whole day in the park with a CM friend yesterday doing our own olympics. Kids absolutely loved it and really liked getting a medal and certificate at the end. Today they are exhausted, ratty and it's so hot here today so staying home and in the garden.

17. Likes Maza, FussyElmo, loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't going to take any time off during the 6 weeks, but then all the mindees' families booked time off during the same week so I found myself with 4 days free. It seemed daft to waste it, so once I knew they were all safely out of the country and definitely wouldn't need me, DD and I jumped on the train and have come to stay with my eldest son. It's been lovely having him look after me for a change

19. Likes Maza, FussyElmo, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well survived the fracture clinic they have decided to put a cast on hopefully it will be off in 3weeks. But hey she got a pink one and shes now very happy

Finished now for 2 weeks looking forward to watching even more of the olympics 2 Golds today
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

21. Likes Mouse, Maza, loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well after a busy couple of weeks I am looking forward to having next week off, for the first time in a while we are not going away just chilling at home, youngest gets A level results this week then will be off to uni middle of September. So we will be busy getting bits ready, he has been given an unconditional offer so at lease we know where and when he will be going and it has taken the pressure off on results day.
    Pixie Dust

23. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie dust View Post
    Well after a busy couple of weeks I am looking forward to having next week off, for the first time in a while we are not going away just chilling at home, youngest gets A level results this week then will be off to uni middle of September. So we will be busy getting bits ready, he has been given an unconditional offer so at lease we know where and when he will be going and it has taken the pressure off on results day.
    Oh lucky boy! We're waiting for results for my second son. It's getting stressful. I hope he doesn't go into clearing but we'll deal with whatever happens.

25. Likes Maza, Pixie dust liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Using my iPhone .. Still learning about on line on this!
    But how great has the Olympics been so far!
    The cycling has been great ... As I expected.. But I am being drawn in to
    The other areas... I am hooked on hockey now!!
    Lovely Scottish hilltop backdrop to our vowing though. With a clear night,
    no pollution star gazing experience too!
    Also great weather too, sorry
    about my earlier pessimism!!

27. Likes Maza liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you a little cheerier Flora , enjoy Scotland and good luck with o and a level results for everyone waiting , i remember it well!!

Not seen much of the olympics as just back from holiday and no tv , but will try and immerse myself this week.
    Heading to the allotment this morning , lets see what damage close to 3 weeks of neglect has caused!

have a lovely day everyone xx

29. Likes FloraDora, BallyH liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm flagging now!! I only have 2 sisters today and yesterday (2rs&4yrs) and didn't notice how much they fall out...probably because I used to have another 4yr old but he's left

I do like the set routine of school, toddler groups and I'm getting a bit stuck in a rut.. especially as dh is away all week so no adult conversation for 5 days which isn't helping
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Holidays have been a bitter-sweet experience this year.

I work longer hours with fewer minders, so less money, and end up spending more on outings and treats. I don't mind this, as it's a fun time. It's great to be able to get out and enjoy the summer without having to break up the day with school runs, preschool collections, etc. Lovely to get the lo's outdoors for much of the time.

But I find it quite shocking to have the schoolies back. I have three who were with me in the EY period who have just completed reception year in school, and it's quite soul destroying. They've picked up no end of bad habits and seem to have learnt nothing useful from their first year at school.

A year of sitting in class and following what teacher says seems to have killed their ability to play or do anything spontaneously. They need far more attention than he 2yo's. If I don't engage with them, they mope about demanding to or a computer. A year ago, they'd find something to do. They used to enjoy junk modelling and now they have to be told what to make.

Same with food. They used to eat most things I'd offer. Now they sit at table pulling faces and saying "ewwww" to foods they used to love. They won't eat this, that or the other because "my friend Georgie at school says it's yucky."

Why do we have to get them school-ready when school only turns them into unpleasant little zombies?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm loving the Olympics still. I'm really not keen on our outfits/kit this year though.

Good luck to everyone waiting for exam results!!!

33. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me started on the olympics.

I can't believe how jingoistic it all is. I thought the BBC would ditch its GB-centric approach after the hype-fest that was London 2012. It would appear not.

Apart from the odd mention of Wotsisname Bolt and that Phelps bloke, it seems that no sport is in any way important except as a means of displaying 'British' success (even when we have to import those "Brits" from Overseas and bung them a convenient UK passport.)

In addition, we're continually reminded of how bad the Brazilian organisation is. The obvious implication is how much better we did it four years ago, never mind the damage and upheaval and wasted money spent on the London games.

ITV, etc refuse to recognise that the Limpix is taking place at all, presumably because they didn't front up a large enough wedge of cash to satisfy the definitely-NOT-corrupt Limpix committee.
    Last edited by bunyip; 16-08-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Don't get me started on the olympics.

I can't believe how jingoistic it all is. I thought the BBC would ditch its GB-centric approach after the hype-fest that was London 2012. It would appear not.

Apart from the odd mention of Wotsisname Bolt and that Phelps bloke, it seems that no sport is in any way important except as a means of displaying 'British' success (even when we have to import those "Brits" from Overseas and bung them a convenient UK passport.)

In addition, we're continually reminded of how bad the Brazilian organisation is. The obvious implication is how much better we did it four years ago, never mind the damage and upheaval and wasted money spent on the London games.

ITV, etc refuse to recognise that the Limpix is taking place at all, presumably because they didn't front up a large enough wedge of cash to satisfy the definitely-NOT-corrupt Limpix committee.
    I agree with you about the Brazil bashing. It is sad to see. People need to remember their manners basically.

I think other sports champions are celebrated , not just Phelps and Bolt. Surely it's only natural for us to show British success more than anything else - I'm sure all competing nations have the same practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast