Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default favourite sweets

What is your favorite sweet now and in the past?

Currently I love red vine twists (an American 'liquorice' stick) and floral gums.

I used to love pacers (striped mint sweets like opal fruits (known now as starbursts) and spangles. (Hard boiled fruit sweets shaped like 'tunes') I also loved 'tiger tots' the tiny liquorice allsorts from the same family as jelly tots, tootie fruities and whatever the pink bag was called! (Actually I liked them all and still like jelly tots and tootie fruities)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Floral gums and cherry lips are still some of my favourite sweets. And the pink and blue jelly buttons. I did used to like Spangles, especially the Old English flavour. There were some that were a yellow mustardy colour and they were by favourite ones.

I tried some Smarties recently, but was very disappointed with them. The colours were really dull, there were no blue ones and the orange ones didn't taste of orange anymore! I also tried jelly tots and didn't think they tasted like they used to - far too sweet. And fruit gums - just not the same anymore.

At the moment my very favourite is Ritter Rum & Raisin chocolate

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like sweets at all (love cake, chocolate and biscuits). I did used to like cola cubes and cola bottles - the ones coated in sugar.

Actually, I quite liked those lime coloured hard boiled sweets - the ones that had the piece of chocolate inside. I used to like those big red sugar dummies that you could get in seaside towns - much preferred them to a stick of rock.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I was young I used to have a 3d coin on a Friday to spend in the sweet shop/ newsagents on my way home sometimes. My choice was always: milk gums,white mice, rhubarb and custard sweets, Parma violets and occasionally a tube of liquorice dip - I never liked the lolly dips.

I rarely eat sweets now, an occasional share bag of MM's -nut ones if we have people around ( bit of a tradition).
    Chocolate would be my choice now but put me in front of the sweet counter and I would probably choose imperial mints and werthers - when did I become my granny????

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    What is your favorite sweet now and in the past?

Currently I love red vine twists (an American 'liquorice' stick) and floral gums.

I used to love pacers (striped mint sweets like opal fruits (known now as starbursts) and spangles. (Hard boiled fruit sweets shaped like 'tunes') I also loved 'tiger tots' the tiny liquorice allsorts from the same family as jelly tots, tootie fruities and whatever the pink bag was called! (Actually I liked them all and still like jelly tots and tootie fruities)
    I used to enjoy going and getting a quarter of sweets. Kola cubes, pineapple cubes, uncle Joe's, rhubarb and custard, blackcurrant liquorice (even though I don't like liquorice lol) chocolate limes, sherbert lemon. Oh I think a trip to the traditional sweet shop is needed.

Rarely buy sweets now it's always chocolate
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I used to enjoy going and getting a quarter of sweets. Kola cubes, pineapple cubes, uncle Joe's, rhubarb and custard, blackcurrant liquorice (even though I don't like liquorice lol) chocolate limes, sherbert lemon. Oh I think a trip to the traditional sweet shop is needed.

Rarely buy sweets now it's always chocolate
    Yes, that's the name of the ones I was trying to think of!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We used to get an excellent assortment at a really good price by buying either 'mis-shapes' (we had Bassetts and other sweet manufacturers in town) or 'window mix' - which had been on display in the window, but it was usually still in good nick, so long as it wasn't the height of summer and you remembered to look out for the dead wasps.

Probably a bit of a health and safety nightmare in this enlightened age.

8. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Kola cubed n reason chocholate chew were my fave back in the day. Now i would still chose the same but have a thing for any gummy sweets too.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fruit salad and black jacks were 2 of my favourites but more often or not I used to go to the bakers n buy 6d worth of stale cakes to share with my brother sister n cousin who lived with us for a year. Or I'd buy a 3D jamboree bag which had awful sweets but also a little toy. My best toy was a tiny plastic cot with a tiny baby doll in it. Isn't it strange the things we remember!!
    Now I would pick a wisp gold or frys chocolate cream.
    Last edited by SYLVIA; 30-07-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

As a kid I loved sasperella tablets, only got them when granny came to visit from 'up north' . I'm really into fruit pastelles at the minute 🌝

Post Thanks / Like

I used to love the halib orange tablets and cod liver oil and malt and our gran used to buy a mars bar on Saturdays for me to cut into 4 for me and my 3 siblings to share, such a treat.
    Now I just love anything sweet.