Will you be watching the opening ceremony tonight?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Will you be watching the opening ceremony tonight?

I absolutely love the Olympics, but I feel that the build up has been a bit quiet this year, unless it's because we were right in the thick of it last time that nothing can compare.

I'm sure the ceremony will be spectacular and I am counting down the hours. I'm actually getting quite jittery.

Fortunately our downstairs neighbours love it too (the only thing we have in common, lol) and so they don't mind us screaming at the tv because they're at it too!

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a nap this afternoon in preparation to stay up and watch the opening ceremony.
    I will be watching the cycling most....but I do like to keep an eye on everything else.

4. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I love gymnastics, athletics and then probably swimming, but for some reason I get obsessed with everything - all of the 'less glamorous' sports that I don't give second thought to for the four years in between.

My family and I always have fond memories of watching all of the past Olympics, sometimes while we were away on holiday, sometimes at home, sometimes at unsociable hours of the day and each one with its own flavour. It's been fun to reminisce about how family dynamics have evolved between one Olympics and the next over the years.

Here's hoping for a safe and peaceful Olympics.

6. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I absolutely love the Olympics, but I feel that the build up has been a bit quiet this year, unless it's because we were right in the thick of it last time that nothing can compare.

I'm sure the ceremony will be spectacular and I am counting down the hours. I'm actually getting quite jittery.

Fortunately our downstairs neighbours love it too (the only thing we have in common, lol) and so they don't mind us screaming at the tv because they're at it too!
    Gutted it's on so late we have an early start for a football tournament for dd.

We will be glued to most sports. My fb flashback has been all about the 2012 Olympics I think we watched everything and I can't see much changing this year.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Gutted it's on so late we have an early start for a football tournament for dd.

We will be glued to most sports. My fb flashback has been all about the 2012 Olympics I think we watched everything and I can't see much changing this year.
    I know! The time difference will be more difficult to deal with now compared to previous years before I had responsibilities!

We wanted to cook a Brazilian meal today but didn't see any recipes that grabbed us. We settled on a Brazilian fruit salad for breakfast. We have set ourselves the challenge of cooking a meal from whichever country wins the first gold medal. Hope it's nowhere too obscure!

10. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know! The time difference will be more difficult to deal with now compared to previous years before I had responsibilities!

We wanted to cook a Brazilian meal today but didn't see any recipes that grabbed us. We settled on a Brazilian fruit salad for breakfast. We have set ourselves the challenge of cooking a meal from whichever country wins the first gold medal. Hope it's nowhere too obscure!
    Loving that idea but mainly because I haven't got to do it.
    The men's gymnastics are on tomorrow so I'm hoping dds tournament doesn't go on too long.
    Also looking forward to seeing the rugby 7s for the first time at the Olympics
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

12. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This time last year our oldest was in Brazil as part of his year working in South America, so he is very enthusiastic to see how the building sites have become wonderful areas....we/ he has planned a Brazillian meal for Sunday, not sure quite what the final decision is, he has been offering us a lot of different choices.
    I started recording in the Ladybird book of the Olympics in 1972, the year of the massacre in Munich. I / my family have recorded every year since though not in the Ladybird book this year as they haven't done one that I can find. These little books have been used so many times over the years in quizzes, crosswords etc...who needs the Internet when they are right there on the library shelf. ( though I expect it is still quicker to find info using Google). It keeps you focussed on all the areas when you want to fill in the results.

Remembering 1972, I also hope for a peaceful olympics, and I am behind Rio and hope it is great for them as they need the financial boost, They have spent far less than any country has in the past - I hope their good ethics/ necessity in this way pays off and it is wonderful for them.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Floradora do let me know what your son cooks! Saw lots of yummy puddings but we're all on a health kick at the moment and so I couldn't bring myself to make them. DD and I made a quiz on the Olympics today and tomorrow we are going to do a quiz on Brazil.

Looking forward to seeing Team Refugee tonight at the opening ceremony. Hope they get a huge cheer!

15. Likes FloraDora, loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

An American menu it is then!

17. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

But will it be a man versus food American menu 😆

Hope the gymnastic is OK after the nasty fall on the vault

19. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

we watched the opening ceremony on iplayer earlier, wonderful and thoroughly enjoyed it ( would have liked some commentary though! )

have watched some of the gymnastics, been good x

21. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    we watched the opening ceremony on iplayer earlier, wonderful and thoroughly enjoyed it ( would have liked some commentary though! )

have watched some of the gymnastics, been good x
    I watched it yesterday. Loved the reception that the Team Refugee got!

23. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've not been able to catch any gymnastics - but are they wearing sleeveless leotards this year? I don't think they look as smart as the traditional leotards.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've not been able to catch any gymnastics - but are they wearing sleeveless leotards this year? I don't think they look as smart as the traditional leotards.
    This sounds really bad ... but i can't remember! Sorry!

Watched cycling, swimming, table tennis, kayaking and fencing! I love the fencing. I fenced for a few years in my mid teens and loved it, but when I went to college i couldn't get to training and then my club moved towns :0 ( every olympics since then, i watch the fencing and think ' i must give that another go!
    Hmmmm i wonder if my foils are still in my parents loft?! Must see if i can find a local club ☺

26. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This sounds really bad ... but i can't remember! Sorry!

Watched cycling, swimming, table tennis, kayaking and fencing! I love the fencing. I fenced for a few years in my mid teens and loved it, but when I went to college i couldn't get to training and then my club moved towns :0 ( every olympics since then, i watch the fencing and think ' i must give that another go!
    Hmmmm i wonder if my foils are still in my parents loft?! Must see if i can find a local club ☺
    Wow, did you? It looks exhausting on the arm! Is it an expensive hobby?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I managed to catch a bit of the diving this evening, but that's all I've seen.

I usually like to watch the gymnastics, but am very pleased I didn't get to see the one breaking his leg. I really can't cope with broken bones

29. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, did you? It looks exhausting on the arm! Is it an expensive hobby?
    I don't know about it being expensive .. my parents bought my kit ;-) I think most clubs have kit for beginners to borrow.
    It's a graceful sport. I took it up when I stopped dancing. I don't remember it being exhausting on the arm, more the legs as you can only move in a sort of sideways forward and back action with lunges!

31. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I managed to catch a bit of the diving this evening, but that's all I've seen.

I usually like to watch the gymnastics, but am very pleased I didn't get to see the one breaking his leg. I really can't cope with broken bones
    I saw the nasty bike accident. It was horrible. I couldn't watch any more!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about it being expensive .. my parents bought my kit ;-) I think most clubs have kit for beginners to borrow.
    It's a graceful sport. I took it up when I stopped dancing. I don't remember it being exhausting on the arm, more the legs as you can only move in a sort of sideways forward and back action with lunges!
    Oh yeah, I never thought about the lunges.

Is it just me or have all the men in that event been really good looking? Shame they have to wear a mask (does it have a more technical name?) until right at the end. Yes, it is a very graceful sport.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I saw the nasty bike accident. It was horrible. I couldn't watch any more!
    It looked a bad accident the cameras seem to be picking up all the accidents.

Gold and silver in the swimming so a good end to day 2

35. Likes Maza liked this post