Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kellib View Post

Don't think you'll be the odd one out, there will be plenty folk supporting all 4 teams. However football rivalry is part of the enjoyment of football.

For example we have two teams in this city, our rivals are playing in Europe this week. I certainly won't be supporting them nor will I expect them to support us when it's our turn in a few weeks.
    Now there are 2 teams in this city. 1 in the premier league 1 no where near. The enternal optimist in me thinks it's good for the city to have both teams doing well.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Now there are 2 teams in this city. 1 in the premier league 1 no where near. The enternal optimist in me thinks it's good for the city to have both teams doing well.
    It is good for the city but it doesn't mean that we have to support each other

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My dad told me when he was boy he got taken to both teams on alternate Saturdays as people didn't go to away matches.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad told me when he was boy he got taken to both teams on alternate Saturdays as people didn't go to away matches.
    Yep my grandad says the same, he never done it though!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, there's no need to support any other team.

It's the schadenfreude that I find hard to understand. I never know why anyone would rejoice in the misfortune of others. Even if I don't like someone I wouldn't wish them ill.

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I agree, there's no need to support any other team. It's the schadenfreude that I find hard to understand. I never know why anyone would rejoice in the misfortune of others. Even if I don't like someone I wouldn't wish them ill.
    It's not wishing them ill, it's healthy competitive rivalry.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not wishing them ill, it's healthy competitive rivalry.
    Maybe not wishing them ill, but wishing a team would lose.

I could understand it if the teams were playing against each other, but when they're not even in the same competition I don't understand why you would want a team to lose.
    Like I said earlier though, I don't watch football so it's all over my head anyway

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Again wishing a team will lose is just rivalry, it's all part of football.

Football is a huge passion of mine, you might be able to tell lol, so I do understand the feelings behind it all.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If a woman walks past you obviously loving herself ....and comes out of the loo with her skirt tucked into her pants - you smirk. You dont feel sorry for her...which you would if she had appeared to have a different attitude in the first place!

Good luck in the europa league KelliBs team! ( unless you play against ours!)

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Again wishing a team will lose is just rivalry, it's all part of football.

Football is a huge passion of mine, you might be able to tell lol, so I do understand the feelings behind it all.
    But do you think the rivalry contributes to the violence that follows football around.

There is rivalry in Rugby however there is no segregated stadiums and shock horror can actually drink alcohol in the stands.

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    If a woman walks past you obviously loving herself ....and comes out of the loo with her skirt tucked into her pants - you smirk. You dont feel sorry for her...which you would if she had appeared to have a different attitude in the first place!

I would actually tell her because I would hope someone would do the same for me.

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No . Those who are violent idiots attach themselves to football in order to fight. They are most certainly not fans.

15. Likes Mouse liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No . Those who are violent idiots attach themselves to football in order to fight. They are most certainly not fans.
    But surely when young children are being taught that they hope other teams lose and to be happy about it as my son has had to face today breeds another generation of hate and violence

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. Folk who want to cause violence will do it regardless, it's nothing to do with rivalry. I've been to many many local derbies, even ones where we've been roundly humiliated, and there's no violence. It's all good natured banter for want of a better expression!

I've been to many huge Scotland games too and again never seen any violence (and I've been going for nearly 18 years!).

You'll also find that the reasons for the violence have nothing to do with football, they aren't even fans of the teams playing usually, they just use the match as a meeting point.

If we can't promote healthy rivalry than I really do despair. It's like the whole no one wins on sports day anymore rubbish!

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

If a woman walks past you obviously loving herself ....and comes out of the loo with her skirt tucked into her pants - you smirk. You dont feel sorry for her...which you would if she had appeared to have a different attitude in the first place! Good luck in the europa league KelliBs team! ( unless you play against ours!)
    That's such a good way to put it!

Thanks, we're only in the 2nd qualifying round so I doubt we'll get very far! Good luck to yours too

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with that. If they were real fans why on earth would they want to disgrace their team? Some of them must spend an awful lot of money travelling round the country/world just so they can fight.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would still feel sorry for her and would say something. No matter how much she seemed to love herself I couldn't let someone walk round with their knickers on show. Even if I didn't get any thanks for it, I'd still be happy knowing I'd done the right thing.

Though I remember my mum came out of the toilet once with her skirt tucked in her tights. I laughed so much I was sick!!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

But surely when young children are being taught that they hope other teams lose and to be happy about it as my son has had to face today breeds another generation of hate and violence
    No. Thats an enormous leap. I havent got a violent bone..or bit of violent wobblyness even.....I dont hate the other teams , but I do support the team I choose to support....I supported Iceland because they were the underdogs , I was happy they won....so obviously I was glad England lost. You supported Portugal in their match because you have friends who are portugese , which means you hoped the other team would lose. How will that lead to violence or hate?

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No. Thats an enormous leap. I havent got a violent bone..or bit of violent wobblyness even.....I dont hate the other teams , but I do support the team I choose to support....I supported Iceland because they were the underdogs , I was happy they won....so obviously I was glad England lost. You supported Portugal in their match because you have friends who are portugese , which means you hoped the other team would lose. How will that lead to violence or hate?
    It won't, because the way you described it just then was healthy - and as you said, you don't HATE the other team. It is possible to celebrate ones own team's success without deliberately rubbing it into the other team's fans. I have a nephew and niece who continually disappoint me when they write gloating FB posts every time Man United lose (they are Man City fans). Why? Just be happy when your team wins. It honestly makes me sad. (I'm not a football fan.)

I heard lots of praise for Iceland. I'm sure there is horrible arrogance too.

Mouse - great word - I had to look it up!

23. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I
    Mouse - great word - I had to look it up!
    It's a surprisingly useful word!

25. Likes Maza liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast