Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Did you watch 'in the club'?

I didn't but it has led to a lot of very angry messages on the Facebook groups today!!

PLA have written to the BBC on behalf of childminders to let them know they got it wrong - I wonder if we will get an apology for being so badly misrepresented? ............

Pre-school Learning Alliance - Facebook post
    8 hrs

You may have seen last night's episode of the BBC's series 'In the Club', which has been brought to our attention because of serious inaccuracies in the misleading portrayal of the character Diane, a childminder. We have made an official complaint to the BBC and contacted the programme producers with the following message:

We have been alerted to a number of serious inaccuracies in the depiction of the character of Diane in the series ‘In the Club’ with regard to her role as a childminder. For example, during a recent episode, this character was shown giving medication to a child without parental permission and operating outside statutory ratios.

While we recognise that this is a fictional programme, we were extremely disappointed that the programme chose to perpetuate the outdated stereotype of childminders as little more than babysitters. To be clear, childminders are early years professionals – registered with and inspected by Ofsted, and obligated to follow the Early Years Foundation Stage, and adhere to strict regulations with regard to the safeguarding and welfare of the children in their care.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss these concerns further with the programme’s research team and ensure that, going forward, this character accurately reflects the professionalism, experience and expertise of the childminding workforce.

Regards,

Pre-school Learning Alliance

We will keep you updated on any response we receive either from the BBC or programme producers.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to be honest, the childminders complaining are being ridiculous!

It's a drama, not real life.

Do you think firemen complain about the way they're portrayed in Fire Man Sam, or builders complain about the slipshod methods used by Bob and the gang? I mean, who'd ever trust a builder if you believed that what they showed on Bob The Builder was real?

Think of any programme on TV. Do they accurately portray every profession they show? Does it put you off going to a doctor because Dr Kennedy in Neighbours made a mistake and killed a patient? No, because you can tell the difference between a made up story and real life.

If it had been a factual programme that was wrong, then complain away, but quite frankly, the indignation shown by so many childminders over made up stories is quite embarrassing.
    Last edited by Mouse; 18-05-2016 at 10:36 PM.

3. Likes singingcactus liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

And as another point, how boring would television be if every profession was shown accurately and in the best light?

Imagine if Eastenders only showed real life and only in a positive way. There'd be no murders (because they don't happen that often), no people coming back from the dead, no affairs (because we can't have cafe owners shown to be naughty, what message does that send to the general public?)

Come on people, lighten up! Sit back, enjoy the programme and have faith that parents have enough intelligence to know it's not real life!!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you mouse. Although, if builders worked as quick as Bob the builder then I would definitely consider more seriously that extension for a 4th bedroom hehe.

6. Likes Mouse liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree Mouse.

But the problem we have is that we aren't given the respect that we deserve half the time. Some parents feel we are babysitters and they don't know about all the hard work that goes into what is an extremely hard job!
    This morning I had a phonecall for childcare and the parent said 'Can you tell me what you do because I've no idea what a childminder does.' She was extremely surprised that I followed the EYFS and had Ofsted visits.
    I had a parent round last week that said 'At the moment my neighbour is a 'childminder' but she's emigrating so I need to find someone else. I cant believe how hard its been finding someone to pick up dd from school. You'd think there would be loads of parents out there offering afterschool care but no one seems to do it!'
    I haven't heard back from her since I gave her my paperwork.....lol

So I can sort of see why everyone is up in arms....but are we being too sensitive about it. On Eastenders a year or so ago there was a childminder who just let a child go to a stranger but there's is also a bent Lawyer, builders that just seem to mess around and botch stuff up. A car lot that sold dodgy cars and a garage that fixed them so I think we do just need to lighten up a bit.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I do agree that a lot of people have been overreacting to the storyline, I also agree that it is putting us in the light of babysitters. 3 of the children the 'childminder' in question was looking after were clearly under 1, (her own twins and her friends baby who were all born at similar times in the last series) plus she also had a 3 year old mindee too. So effectively ignoring 2 statutory requirements. It made it look like a free for all, "yes just drop your kids off and I'll look after them" which in turn could give the wrong impression of how many numbers we're allowed to anyone watching that episode. It's hard enough at times trying to explain to parents that we're not being deliberately awkward by not having space available for their little cherub, without a programme like this illustrating that we can have as many as we can fit in our house! I had a new parent recently ask if I could have their child on an extra Thursday morning as a one off. When I said I didn't have the space, she actually said "oh you won't notice he's there, can't you squeeze in him in?" Exasperated isn't the word!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I agree Mouse.

But the problem we have is that we aren't given the respect that we deserve half the time. Some parents feel we are babysitters and they don't know about all the hard work that goes into what is an extremely hard job!
    I had a mum come to see me and asked if I had another job or if this was all I did!

I agree that we don't often get the respect we deserve, but then, neither do many other professionals, especially in the media. I just think expecting every portrayal of childminders to be accurate and positive is unrealistic and unnecessary.

And let's not forget, not all registered childminders follow all the rules. I'm sure there are childminders out there who do go over their numbers, who do leave the children in the care of people they shouldn't, who don't have every member of their family DBS checked. I've seen comments saying how no cm would ever behave like that, but let's be honest, some do. They may be few and far between, but they do exist. Perhaps the portrayal was very accurate of some

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    So effectively ignoring 2 statutory requirements. It made it look like a free for all, "yes just drop your kids off and I'll look after them" which in turn could give the wrong impression of how many numbers we're allowed to anyone watching that episode.
    So in this fictional drama, a fictional childminder who is registered with a fictional LA is breaking real-life rules set by real-life statutory requirements and regulated by a real-life body?

Fiction and real life are very different and shouldn't be confused. If they were saying this CM was registered with Ofsted, then yes, she was breaking the rules, but even then, she's been struck off for it - so well done to the writers. But the writers aren't claiming they are showing an Ofsted registered childminder. They are showing a made up position of "local authority registered childminder"

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    So in this fictional drama, a fictional childminder who is registered with a fictional LA is breaking real-life rules set by real-life statutory requirements and regulated by a real-life body? Fiction and real life are very different and shouldn't be confused. If they were saying this CM was registered with Ofsted, then yes, she was breaking the rules, but even then, she's been struck off for it - so well done to the writers. But the writers aren't claiming they are showing an Ofsted registered childminder. They are showing a made up position of "local authority registered childminder"
    I don't disagree at all Mouse. I'm just looking at it from a parents perspective who has no real clue about who we're governed by and what limitations or restrictions we have. A parent a couple of years ago genuinely thought we were still governed by social services as one example!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Its not just parents .. The other evening I met a primary school teacher who didn't know we were inspected at all, came under ofsted, followed EYFS or had any guidelines at all !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I still get asked why when my own children are grown up have I not got a proper job!!!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

My husband who was watching In The Club with me at the time, even said himself that if I wasn't a Childminder, he would assume that that was the way a Childminding business was run. He didn't know about ofsted being involved before i registered, and I know he's certainly not alone!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that is a tv program and the characters are fictional but I was annoyed that they didn't get their facts straight in relation to being Ofsted registered etc I can understand why a lot of people got very upset over it, yes it is a tv drama but wouldn't it be good to be seen in a positive light for once ?
    Pixie Dust

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

PLA have received the following reply -

Pre-school Learning Alliance
    15 hrs ·

Update: on our complaint to the BBC and production company responsible for TV drama 'In the Club' (written by Kay Mellor) for its depiction of childminders. We received this response from the production company today:

Thank you very much for getting in touch and we do welcome your feedback.
    Whilst we do consult relevant professionals at all stages of the writing process the drama is purely fictional - and as with any drama we have to take dramatic license sometimes to make the story work. It is not Kay’s intention to cause distress but to look at a variety of situations - some of which involve human and professional errors to make the drama as compelling as possible (increasing conflict and therefore making it dramatic). Kay is fully aware that Diane should not have acted in the way she did but this was all part of the dramatic effect. Diane also acknowledges she has done wrong.
    It is important to note that at no time was the character shown giving medication without parental permission.
    Diane’s character is certainly not meant to be representative of all childminders.

Kind regards,

Rollem Productions

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely she must be childminding illegally anyway as she wouldn't be allowed to register with a husband in prison for armed robbery - pity they don't show her being reported to Ofsted and being prosecuted - that may put off the illegal childminders out there and would also highlight to parents the dangers of using an illegal, unqualified, uninsured person. I did watch the first series but haven't watched any of the 2nd one.

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My only thought was how quickly she appears to have gone through the registration process!

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when they told Kay of the complaint!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Surely she must be childminding illegally anyway as she wouldn't be allowed to register with a husband in prison for armed robbery - pity they don't show her being reported to Ofsted and being prosecuted - that may put off the illegal childminders out there and would also highlight to parents the dangers of using an illegal, unqualified, uninsured person. I did watch the first series but haven't watched any of the 2nd one.
    Amazingly she was registered they seemed to have missed the bit where her husband was in prison then when they did his DBS it came up lol
    Pixie Dust

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

I have watched this episode in catch up. I thought she looked knackered and worn down at the beginning, ( as I often feel), I could feel empathy at the beginning, when her husband was having to go to the appointment, and she was saying, ' ask this, ask about that, oh ask this'. We all often find it difficult to put our own families first, and she should really have booked that day off.

Was the programme, the first ever time you have heard of a childminder ( imaginary or not ) leaving her kids with her husband, mother in law or even another childminder for an hour while they popped for a doctors appointment, dentist, school appointment or even shopping? I bet we all know childminders who do this, especially if the child is younger.

The programme was a spiralling catalogue of disasters. Had the midwife not dumped the baby, the childminder would have been able just to take her own two babies. Had it not been the holidays, her older children would have not been home, so would not have been playing upstairs, so 3 year old would not have been upstairs playing. Had the appointment been on time... Had she not left the kids with the husband..... Had her husband had a DBS check...Had her regulatory body ( in this case council) noticed that his DBS had not been actioned/ granted........

I don't think it was intended to portray childminders badly, but just to show how one characters life can spiral so quickly.

NB? I am not agreeing or promoting leaving minded kids with unregistered husbands, neighbours, or other childminders at any time.

22. Likes ajc liked this post