Have you got a "man drawer"?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you got a "man drawer"?

Have you got a 'man drawer'? One of those drawers where you throw everything that you might use at some point, but realistically never will.

I've got a child-free morning and for some reason decided it would be a good idea to sort out my own personal drawer ("woman drawer" doesn't sound right!) I've thrown away a carrier bag full of useless bits but the drawer still doesn't seem much emptier. I then started on the 2 man drawers in the kitchen.

I've found 13 old mobile phones, hundreds of curtain hooks, endless batteries (no idea whether or not they work), loads of half burned birthday cake candles, enough screws, nails, bolts and pins to stock an aisle in B&Q, every allen key we've ever had for every piece of Ikea furniture we've ever bought, instruction guides for electrical equipment we got rid of years ago, the prizes from years worth of christmas crackers and random things that I doubt anyone could actually identify, never mind have a use for.

I've been ruthless and there's very little left in the drawers. I'm waiting to see how long it takes DH to notice I've had a sort out and how long it takes him to decide he really needs something that's no longer there!

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You have pretty much described the exact contents of our man drawer to a tea! I've often attempted to organise it into little plastic storage boxes but everything is just miscellaneous, so it's hard. When we moved it was one of the last things we packed up and had totally ran out of steam so we just tipped it all in a carrier bag and took it with us to sort at the other end. We came across that bag a few years later, still unpacked. We had a quick scout through it and binned the majority of it as we clearly hadn't missed any of it. The bits we did salvage were added to the new man drawer.

4. Likes loocyloo, Mouse liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How funny as my 'man' drawer is the same. One difference is my husband wouldn't know what was in it, it's definitely all my clutter. But why do we keep old 3/4 burnt candles? I've also got loads and have just celebrated a birthday in this house and instead of using them I bought a new packet and after the cake celebrations I threw in the man drawer to join their sorry friends.

6. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post
    it's definitely all my clutter. But why do we keep old 3/4 burnt candles? I've also got loads and have just celebrated a birthday in this house and instead of using them I bought a new packet and after the cake celebrations I threw in the man drawer to join their sorry friends.
    We do the same. We buy new candles for each birthday and never use the old ones. The ones I found in the drawer have got remnants of cake stuck to the holders. I've no idea how old that would be and I've got no intention of sticking ancient left-overs in a new cake! I know I could wash the holders each time and re-use them, but life is too short for washing fiddly little things that can just be thrown in the man drawer and forgotten about!

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mrs Bunyip has a huge collection of portable man-drawers. She calls them "handbags."

Apr 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have one of those! We call it the 'Sh1t drawer'

Every house must have one ha ha

11. Likes Mouse, bunyip liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rolacolapink View Post
    We have one of those! We call it the 'Sh1t drawer'

Every house must have one ha ha
    I didn't have a man drawer but I did have a man space above the kitchen units.... I decided one day to throw everything into a plastic box and only keep what I really needed... at least 95% was dumped. I had 2 broken cameras beyond repair a pack of party bags I bought for my daughters 9th or 10th birthday. .. she will be 15 on her next birthday. It left me itching to reorganise everywhere. Drawers in my bedroom the toy cupboard above my wardrobe under my bed... never again!!!!!
    Tess1981

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    I didn't have a man drawer but I did have a man space above the kitchen units.... I decided one day to throw everything into a plastic box and only keep what I really needed... at least 95% was dumped. I had 2 broken cameras beyond repair a pack of party bags I bought for my daughters 9th or 10th birthday. .. she will be 15 on her next birthday. It left me itching to reorganise everywhere. Drawers in my bedroom the toy cupboard above my wardrobe under my bed... never again!!!!!
    I've got a toy cupboard above my wardrobe. Filedl with bargains that I'll give to mindees - some day soon.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BallyH View Post

I've got a toy cupboard above my wardrobe. Filedl with bargains that I'll give to mindees - some day soon.
    Damn it... I have one of these too... it's in my bedroom were I pick up bargains all year and store them for birthdays children leaving the settong and Christmas...
    Tess1981

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    Damn it... I have one of these too... it's in my bedroom were I pick up bargains all year and store them for birthdays children leaving the settong and Christmas...
    I've got one as well but mine is obviously some sort of black hole because I put things in there and never see them again!