Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Children taking after their mothers

Does anybody ever find that although for nine months you carried them and then gave birth to you, nobody ever says your children have your attributes?

There's jokes DD is my late mother-in-law reincarnated. My son is a sore loser like his dad. My sister is always saying things my daughter does is just like her, to name but a few.

I shared a jokey picture on FB about hiding wasabi peanuts in mini eggs. I know my two like spicy things as do I and their dad. Anyway yet again my sister comes out with "bet they'd actually like that as they like things hot. They take after their Aunty and Grandad".

I know it's a small thing but the more it happens the more it annoys me. My sister does it much more than anyone. I did mention it to her but she thinks I being "silly". (Which make it bug me even more!)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have that problem as everyone says that DD and I are just the same, but I do understand what you're saying.

My grandson is the spitting image of my son and has so many of his mannerisms. Everyone is forever says "you can see his dad in him" or "he's got his dad's temper". I am always very aware that it might be hurtful for my DIL that no one ever says GS looks like her or acts like her so I do make an effort to make comparisons to her, even if I don't really see them!

Has your sister got her own children? Maybe she likes to think she has a strong link with your children and this is a way of showing it.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
    Does anybody ever find that although for nine months you carried them and then gave birth to you, nobody ever says your children have your attributes?

There's jokes DD is my late mother-in-law reincarnated. My son is a sore loser like his dad. My sister is always saying things my daughter does is just like her, to name but a few.

I shared a jokey picture on FB about hiding wasabi peanuts in mini eggs. I know my two like spicy things as do I and their dad. Anyway yet again my sister comes out with "bet they'd actually like that as they like things hot. They take after their Aunty and Grandad".

I know it's a small thing but the more it happens the more it annoys me. My sister does it much more than anyone. I did mention it to her but she thinks I being "silly". (Which make it bug me even more!)
    Does it usually happen in 'positive' situations? Has she ever compared if your child has done something negative? Try to see it as a compliment at having reared wonderful children.

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what u mean. I am a single mum n whenever i am with family they compare him to all other family and even people he's not related to too. It really does grate as he is totally like me in looks n personality. But i now think that its a jealousy thing as the ones that do it most dont have a strong relationship with us n i think they do just want to feel part of our bond which thankfully is really strong

Post Thanks / Like

Haha I have this. My son is a good looking bright little boy (yes I'm bias im sure!!!) and everyone says he's the spitting image of my partner or says he's just like my partner. I get annoyed as if I've had no input into his life when it's actually been 99.9% all me!!

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

They say that when babies are born they look like their fathers so that dads feel part of the birth :-)

People say my son looks like me but my daughter looks like her dad. Weirdly my daughter has likes all the weird food that I do and temperament wise is more like me but my son is more like his dad. It peeves me off when my other half family go on about how they both look like him and not me! Luckily we rarely see them lol!

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

lol! My eldest is very like me - looks like me and has similar temperament but because he is a red head he is always been compared to my half brother who also is a red head, it annoys me a bit but only because he in fact looks nothing like him and childhood photos of my brother show that - people say he is my brothers mini me and 'exactly like him' and I feel like people just can't see past the similarity in hair colour!