Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exercise. Please inspire/shame me...

I really need a kick up the you know what. I need to start exercising. Hubby started working from home almost two years ago, which hasn't helped me as he offers to drive me everywhere when I would previously have walked. I do occasionally say no thank you, but not often enough.

What do you all do for exercise?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I'm not going to help, think I'm allergic to exercise. . I do walk lots though I'm giving up the school run in the summer so will need to think of something else.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a Fitbit so could see just how lazy I am some days (weekends with no school runs!) and it makes me want to walk the school runs rather than drive as I like getting my target for the day.
    I'm also terrible for exercising, I trained and ran a marathon before I had my son 3.5 years ago, and loved running and keeping fit but just don't have the energy or time anymore, there are always so many jobs to do that I end up doing those in spare time rather than drag myself out running...one day!

5. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter is not a good time unless you're an exercise freak as it's too cold to think of anything other than curling up with a book or t.v. when our day is finished. I did aerobics until early December when I lost my husband and I've not had the inclination or the energy to go back yet. Hopefully after Easter I'll start again because I can feel the difference - I had gone weekly for 4 years and did enjoy it. Also when we have the light evenings I just like to go for a walk and also have a pedometer and try to beat my own record for the number of steps in a day. Even though now counting up all the walking with school and pre school runs which amounts to 2 hours every day in the week I still feel unfit and fat!! I'm hoping to get a dog within the next 6 months or so and that will get me out more as well.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I try and walk the school runs but can't do that at a pace that is actually exercise with the LOs!

I tap dance one night a week, and as another class is starting up locally, I might make it twice a week! But that is it!

9. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am no lightweight, but brisk early morning walking with the camera is how I justify my excercise to my PE teacher b in law. ( when I had our dog he believed me!)

Swimming - I used to swim 3 times a week - before school and then cycle to school which kept my heart rate fine - but my bicycle is now used for a little gentle cycle to the local flower shop now.

We walk, long walks, lots but I think we may have to up the pace of these to justify it as excercise.

The new fad of counting your steps goes a long way to psychologically thinking you are doing something. But I still think it's the pace you do it that matters not the amount.

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Dec 87
    Post Thanks / Like

The trouble is when you are no longer a youngster the body does not want to comply. I tried a gentle jog/run last year - hah only did a couple of hundred metres and thought I was going to die!!! Not doing that again. I know it's the pace that counts but as they say at least you're moving more than the couch potato!

13. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

(I haven't been on this site for ages and then re-download the app the other day!)

I relate so much to this thread!! Back in September I couldn't run to the end of my road. I was so unfit, and at the age of 34/35, hadn't done any proper exercise in my life! I started doing the Couch to 5k app. It starts slow; 5 min walking warmup followed by 45 seconds of run/jogging and then 2 mins of walking (repeat ten times). It slowly builds up your ability to run for longer. At the end of the eight week program, I was running for 30 mins straight and getting to 5k!
    The other week I did my first 10k race and I'm signing up for the local half marathon in October!

It is so easy when you just do it. I found the hardest thing was getting out there and starting the app off on the first day!

Six months ago I couldn't run for more than 45 seconds at a time, now I can easily run for an hour. I was a proper couch potato. I swear by C25K. It's free and gives you results. Oh, and I do Pilates once a week to help with my core strength.

15. Likes Ripeberry, Maza liked this post
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

HTSMumma I did a similar thing when I started running years ago, I did it in my lunch hour with a couple of equally unfit friends at work, and found exactly the same, it was the getting the running stuff on and getting out the door that was the hardest bit! I also found that with friends you felt you were letting them down by bailing out, so went anyway and always felt better for it.
    I find it very hard to motivate myself to go running, but once I got fit loved it so much, I miss being able to go for a run, I know it'll absolutely kill me now, always does to restart then suddenly you get into it and it's ok again...I'm going to look up that app!!

17. Likes Maza liked this post
    July 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    HTSMumma I did a similar thing when I started running years ago, I did it in my lunch hour with a couple of equally unfit friends at work, and found exactly the same, it was the getting the running stuff on and getting out the door that was the hardest bit! I also found that with friends you felt you were letting them down by bailing out, so went anyway and always felt better for it. I find it very hard to motivate myself to go running, but once I got fit loved it so much, I miss being able to go for a run, I know it'll absolutely kill me now, always does to restart then suddenly you get into it and it's ok again...I'm going to look up that app!!
    Running with friends is so much better (I find). The motivation increases if you have a friend to go with. My running friend is a pro and she really pushes me. It's great, we do interval training and hills. You don't have to do all of that of course, an easy run for 30 minutes is a squillion times better than sitting on the sofa!
    You'll be surprised how quickly it all comes back to you. Download the app and go for it!
    I've recommended C25K to loads of people. They've all had success! I'm just thankful that I can leave my house, exercise for half an hour and finish off outside my house again! No faffing about with a gym!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I've downloaded it...my son is starting parent free gymnastics on my Friday off work, so I'll have 45 minutes once he's settled there, and could manage one at weekend when husband around and an evening or even on way home from school run while pushing buggy if I take long route home...
    Now to start...!

20. Likes HTSMumma, Maza liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a car for chilminding so I walk everywhere. I thought I might lose some weight but after walking for nearly 9yrs I haven't and my body has just got used to it.

I bought myself a running machine which I used before/after xmas, but recently been too tired and my feet hurt after being on them for most of the day that I haven't been on it since beginning of Feb

I need to get back into it
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When the light morning start I usually walk for 2 miles about half 6 in the morning. But now I mix it up a bit and walk 2 mornings a week, usually at the weekend, Monday morning when I don't work I do the Lorraine Maxine workout and on Thursday I go to pilates with my daughter. I have managed to keep this up since the beginning of the year and it now feels just a normal part of my day. I also try and walk some school runs but the nearest one will be ending in July and the other school is a bit too far for little ones to walk and I'm not pushing a triple buggy so I may need to add a few extra bits of exercise.

24. Likes Maza liked this post