Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS

Do you make any?

I don't as I know I will just break them

I would like to get fitter but that means running or some form of exercise

I have decided to go through my shelves of cook books. I am terrible at buying them doing one recipe and then never looking at it again. So this week I have used The spice men book for teas the prawn pilaf went down a treat even the spicy burgers got eaten if if dh says he prefers the spicy burgers I usually make as they are spicier.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to learn about mindfulness and how to enjoy the life I have now - I find it very hard to slow my mind down and am constantly thinking of what I need to be doing next without really enjoying what I am doing now. Does anyone else practise "mindfulness" or relaxation, if so do you go to a meditation session or do you have a CD?

4. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I want to learn about mindfulness and how to enjoy the life I have now - I find it very hard to slow my mind down and am constantly thinking of what I need to be doing next without really enjoying what I am doing now. Does anyone else practise "mindfulness" or relaxation, if so do you go to a meditation session or do you have a CD?
    I don't, but I do keep reading about it and want to learn more about it.

I have a rather odd resolution this year. I actually want to watch more 'frivolous' tv. We watch lots of documentaries or family films, or I am busy reading something serious on my laptop, but this year we enjoyed watching Downton, Fortitude and Broadchurch together. It was really nice having something to look forward to each evening once DD was in bed. I remember as a teenager there was always something that we watched as a family and it was just good escapism.

I have also just ordered one of those money boxes that you can only open with a tin opener. I am going to start putting bits of money in it each week and then opening it at Christmas.

6. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    A few years ago, when I was at my peek in stress and dealing with Mr Gove my son suggested the School of life workshop on Mindfulness - they are based in Bloomsbury, a short walk from Euston where the train from our town goes. It was a good day. I am not a big meditating person as I do find it difficult to keep still but it gave me enough to help and I now am more aware of recognising and being aware of my thoughts and body and sensations, feelings - I think I am a little more positive in my outlook too. The next workshop they do is on January 15th.
    Bangor university has a mindfulness centre where they are doing research so their website has some good reading too.

Love the idea of frivolous TV Maza as I rarely watch and find I miss out on contributing to conversations because I know nothing about a series! My book club members are people watchers and used to talk about Gogglebox - I confess that the idea of watching people watch the tv is bazaar, but I looked at it one day when I was low with a cold and really enjoyed it!

In 2016 I am going to return to dressmaking. I used to make my own and family's clothes ( including all my bridesmaids and my train for my wedding) I noticed that a few groups are popping up again locally and I think it would be good to renew my knowledge and skills...and save money. My target I think will be August 17th when I will be attending a friend's wedding and I want to wear an outfit like Judi Dench does to the wedding in the second best Marigold Hotel. I currently can't find stockists of these long tunics for ladies so my task will be to scrub up on my tailoring and make it. Living near Birmingham I have a wealth of material shops to browse so that is a planned girlie day out already and if I fail I do have a nice black and white dress that I wore to this friend's first wedding - I can guarantee that nobody will be bringing out the photo's from then and realising I am in the same outfit! But my more positive thinking side now means I am sure I will succeed in this New Years resolution task I have set myself.
    Although I may have to do something about keeping fitter too - to ensure that if I do fail the old dress will still fit!

8. Likes hectors house, loocyloo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to try my usual New Year resolutions (again):-

1. Stop making lists.
    3. learn to count.
    D. Be more consistent.

Btw, did anyone see the 'Hogmany' edition of Woolly and Tig on CBeebies today? Was that really a bearded PC Plum trying to sing in a kilt and not look like the programme's token gay bloke (presumably because Tig's "Dahhdee" already fulfils the Beeb's LGBT quota for his part in Taggart) ?

10. Likes hectors house, loocyloo liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=FloraDora;1414981]A few years ago, when I was at my peek in stress and dealing with Mr Gove my son suggested the School of life workshop on Mindfulness - they are based in Bloomsbury, a short walk from Euston where the train from our town goes. It was a good day. I am not a big meditating person as I do find it difficult to keep still but it gave me enough to help and I now am more aware of recognising and being aware of my thoughts and body and sensations, feelings - I think I am a little more positive in my outlook too. The next workshop they do is on January 15th.
    Bangor university has a mindfulness centre where they are doing research so their website has some good reading too.

I also find it really had to keep still and have been suffering from palpitations which I'm sure are stress related so whenever I try to lie still and concentrate on my breathing and control my thoughts I just end up noticing my heart doing funny things which completely distracts me. (I'm sure it's just an age thing but I have been booked in for a 24 hour ECG just to be sure). I have tried a yoga class but because I breathe mostly through my nose I just couldn't get the hang of breathing through my nose and out through my mouth and my mind tends to drift onto shopping lists etc. I'm pleased to hear that the course worked for you FloraDora - I have found some books and CD's on Amazon so may invest £30 in those before I try £200 + for a course on Mindfulness that is being run in my town soon.

12. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my new years resolutions are

1) not to buy anything for work until my current 2 or 3 boxfuls of craft stuff are used up, nor anymore games/books or wooden resources! ( please hide cosy and myriad catalogues ! ) only things allowed are things such as paper/card/plastic wallets etc!

2) to see old friends I haven't seen for ages.

3) to try and arrange a gathering of all my cousins! we all met at a cousins wedding earlier in the year for the first time in a couple years, and it was really nice, and we all said we must do this more often ( and without all the aunts & uncles! although i expect they'll get wind of it and gatecrash! )

4) to keep on top of my work paperwork and accounts! ( well i can dream! )

14. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been so busy in 2015 that I have become a bit antisocial, so my resolution is to make more of an effort with family and friends, actually visiting or picking up the telephone for a proper chat instead of relying on FB to find out what they are up to.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine and my husbands resolution is to pay off our credit cards! We always have a big debt and constantly just shift the balance to interest frees and never really make much of an effort of paying it off as a result!
    Also want to try to be more healthy and as a result lose a bit of weight, we got a nutri ninja for Xmas so am trying to have a smoothie a day

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm aiming to lose a stone in weight keep up my walking n generally look after myself more. Sounds selfish but my friend mentioned it awhile ago that I don't really do anything for myself. So I'm taking that on board and giving it a go.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=loocyloo;1414992]my new years resolutions are

1) not to buy anything for work until my current 2 or 3 boxfuls of craft stuff are used up, nor anymore games/books or wooden resources! ( please hide cosy and myriad catalogues ! ) only things allowed are things such as paper/card/plastic wallets etc!

Curious - I googled Myriad! I can't believe I don't know about this company! Wooden marble track and and a proper xylophone are on my development plan for resources in 2016 and they have a good range. So your avoidance for 2016 is going to be my first task I think! Though the sentiment around not buying resources I understand - hence the need for a strictly adhered to development plan.
    Thankyou for this inadvertent sign post!

19. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Myriad have been my guilty secret for years! I have their wooden rainbow and 'houses' , puzzles and little felt fairies ...

21. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Myriad have been my guilty secret for years! I have their wooden rainbow and 'houses' , puzzles and little felt fairies ...
    oh no, every time that names mentioned, it costs me money! I love their stuff but i'm trying to resist!!!

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the Cosy book and have bought lots of things but never heard of Myriad, I'll have to have a little look. Imagido is also good.
    Sorry that's probably not helping much is it! ;-)

24. Likes loocyloo, FloraDora liked this post
    Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do resolutions as I always fail, so I set a goal at Slimming World before Christmas to loose a stone so I am going in the morning to see the damage I have done this week and that stone could be stone and a half but I will do it for my holiday in May x
    Cath

26. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Do you make any?

I don't as I know I will just break them

I would like to get fitter but that means running or some form of exercise

I have decided to go through my shelves of cook books. I am terrible at buying them doing one recipe and then never looking at it again. So this week I have used The spice men book for teas the prawn pilaf went down a treat even the spicy burgers got eaten if if dh says he prefers the spicy burgers I usually make as they are spicier.
    I do 👋 this year is pretty usual I suppose...

Be healthier, fitter and generally feel better!
    Get our finances straight!
    Start blogging!
    And I'm transitioning from vegetarian to vegan!

Happy new year x x 💕
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just had a massive, drastic clearout that lasted almost two whole weeks.

A friend commented that I've gone from one extreme (hoarder - guilty!) to minimalist in one fail swoop and I'm feeling really proud of myself. I have to say that my setting is so much nicer as a result as well. (I still have lots of resources, but only the better ones that have proven over their lifespan to genuinely add to the children's learning. Anything that the children weren't interested in has gone.)

It started with my reading somewhere that it feels good to only keep what makes you feel happy.

I've got a couple of days left before I start minding again, and there's a bunch of stuff upstairs that I'm hoping to make time to work through. Then of course there is all my paperwork, that I am intending to streamline drastically.

I never make resolutions but I'm going to pretend that mine this year was to have a good old sort out.

Wishing everyone lots of success with theirs.

LK

29. Likes loocyloo, Pixie dust, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

well .... I haven't actually bought anything, but have just subscribed to teachers pet to download stuff! ( special offer if you subscribe by midnight tomorrow - sunday )

LK - sounds brilliant! well done you! I keep looking at the resources etc I've got and thinking I ought to let some go! maybe i'll sift through my puzzles & games. thing is, current batch of children are not that fussed, but a few years ago - everyone was obsessed! maybe I'll remove to loft and then they are there if I need them!

31. Likes lollipop kid liked this post
    Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The new Cosy catalogue arrived today. I must resist all temptation, I must resist all temptation!

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kirstylob View Post
    The new Cosy catalogue arrived today. I must resist all temptation, I must resist all temptation!
    Mine came today too......haven't opened it yet!
    Pixie Dust