Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ST STEPHENS DAY

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default ST STEPHENS DAY

Merry Christmas

I hope that santa was good to all of you.

I also hope that the day was peaceful and relaxed.

I had a very excited ds8 who although on the verge of not believing sat watching norad and was the first upstairs to see if his Christmas pjs had been left

Enjoy Boxing day, eat lots, drink lots, but most of all enjoy your time with family and friends xx
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes Maza, Pixie dust, BallyH, rickysmiths liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely busy family day yesterday and today is feet up, book and munchies day. Happy Boxing Day everyone x

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good morning.
    Had lovely day yesterday.
    Today we are planning a walk on the moors, possibly via a pub and home for lazy afternoon/evening with food books and tv :-)

DD10 didn't say anything but I'm sure she is borderline not believing ... But she was so excited about her stocking with 'look, FC gave me this and that' so I think she was still believing at that point. :-)
    Last edited by loocyloo; 26-12-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lovely day yesterday, busy but relaxing at the same time. Thankfully DD's pet fish has managed to live to see another day - it really is on its last legs so to speak, and it looked like it was a gonner on Christmas Eve and DD was so sad. We can cope with any day but Christmas Eve or day.

No plans for today, just tidying up.

Someone remind me why I got DD a recorder for Christmas...

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quiet day for us. We had a friend staying last night so we had a lovely cold gammon and poached egg breakfast then I took my so to work and my daughter to her Uni house for the night as she has a meeting with the Landlord in the morning and wants to walk around town with CVs today to try and get a job.

Just sitting on the computer as I haven't touched it for 3 days!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Having had a busy 4 days ( a total of 26 came and went through my door) I have spent today at a loss. I have been so tuned in to organising, baking and cooking, changing beds and having conversations it has been tricky to retune in to not having anything desperate to actually do!! I love having friends and family visit and the house is now empty and so am I a little! DH loves the quietness again and freedom to do exactly what he wants. ( building models currently) I have been rethinking over the conversations and banter and smiling!
    As ever, I am already thinking about next term, I can't help it - a LO gave me a set of home painted wooden spoons her and her mum had made of all the characters in the Ladybird who heard/ next - they are wonderful and deserve a nice place to live....so I am just about to go and have a bath and think some more about this. (DH is cleverly ignoring my attempts to involve him in this project ). Though I also plan to try to properly listen to my gift music, Guy Garvey, Foals and Counting Sheep as I soak.
    Six more days of holiday so my tuning system had better kick in soon!
    Good to hear that people have had good family days too.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Having had a busy 4 days ( a total of 26 came and went through my door) I have spent today at a loss. I have been so tuned in to organising, baking and cooking, changing beds and having conversations it has been tricky to retune in to not having anything desperate to actually do!! I love having friends and family visit and the house is now empty and so am I a little! DH loves the quietness again and freedom to do exactly what he wants. ( building models currently) I have been rethinking over the conversations and banter and smiling!
    As ever, I am already thinking about next term, I can't help it - a LO gave me a set of home painted wooden spoons her and her mum had made of all the characters in the Ladybird who heard/ next - they are wonderful and deserve a nice place to live....so I am just about to go and have a bath and think some more about this. (DH is cleverly ignoring my attempts to involve him in this project ). Though I also plan to try to properly listen to my gift music, Guy Garvey, Foals and Counting Sheep as I soak.
    Six more days of holiday so my tuning system had better kick in soon!
    Good to hear that people have had good family days too.
    Wow 26 we had 1 and my mum finds my house way too frantic. So only stays for an hour.

Had a lovely Skype with my brother who along with his family will be visiting us in June cant wait for that.

Family days are so precious you need to make each and every one of them count
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

After 2 days of relaxing I made myself move today. Went for 2 mile walk, did all the washing n ironing, and lots of other stuff..... and all because I got an Apple Watch for Xmas and got fed up with it keep telling me it's time to stand !!!!!

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Had 9 for Xmas lunch and then 15 for the evening on Christmas day, other than that just had my daughter, SIL & baby grandson staying until 27th - it did feel very quiet when they went home.

I'm working today but just have one here at the moment and a baby coming later for a final settling in session before she starts 3 full days a week next Monday - off tomorrow as it's my birthday, off Thursday as I don't work Thursdays and off Friday as it's New Years Day. Going to a New Year's Ball on Thursday night so I need to pop round to a friend to borrow a posh frock later.

It's lovely to see you back posting Floradora - hope everything is resolved now.

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Had 9 for Xmas lunch and then 15 for the evening on Christmas day, other than that just had my daughter, SIL & baby grandson staying until 27th - it did feel very quiet when they went home.

I'm working today but just have one here at the moment and a baby coming later for a final settling in session before she starts 3 full days a week next Monday - off tomorrow as it's my birthday, off Thursday as I don't work Thursdays and off Friday as it's New Years Day. Going to a New Year's Ball on Thursday night so I need to pop round to a friend to borrow a posh frock later.

It's lovely to see you back posting Floradora - hope everything is resolved now.
    I agree!

As much as I am sad when Christmas Day comes to an end, I do love the days right after it, they are also unique. On Christmas Day DD opens and plays with all the really exciting presents, like the magic set and recorder. The other presents, once opened, get put back under the tree and she gradually shows an interest in them over the next few days. They tend to be the 'educational' gifts, chosen by me - the books, writing sets, board games with an obvious educational element, interactive calendars etc. As she explores them she often finds that they are actually much more fun that she first thought! We have just had a lovely morning making up stories with her new 'Tell me a Story' Eboo cards. Yesterday we all spent ages in the garden playing with the new garden toys. It was a beautiful day and the daffodils now have buds on them!

In the evenings DH and I chill out on the sofa catching up on all the fab things we recorded on Christmas Day. So far we have watched Michael Macintire (sp), Call the Midwife and started watching the final series of Downton. All brilliant! I love the escapism of Christmas! I also love the leftover food and booze.

HH enjoy your ball! Are you going with lots of people you know? My oldest brother enjoys going to balls on NYE and sometimes it's just him andhis wife and other times he goes with a whole crowd of family or friends. x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just when I thought it was pretty much out of the way for another year (well, at least until next September, when Christmas 2016 will hit the shops)......................

Went shopping locally with Mrs Bunyip today. She has not only bought her first two presents for Christmas 2016, she now also has them wrapped, tagged and ready to go.

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Just when I thought it was pretty much out of the way for another year (well, at least until next September, when Christmas 2016 will hit the shops)......................

Went shopping locally with Mrs Bunyip today. She has not only bought her first two presents for Christmas 2016, she now also has them wrapped, tagged and ready to go.
    I will go as far to say I already have a few Christmas 2016 gifts but do not have them wrapped.... makes me sound sane now lol
    Bought some new decorations for next year half price or less and my wrapping paper and cards.. . And also some new lights and my crackers... nearly ready for next Christmas already lol
    I can't resist when it's all reduced as I hate paying full price when I know with a little planning I can get it 50 - 70% in the sales ")
    Tess1981

16. Likes SYLVIA, bunyip, Maza liked this post
    aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a few little gifts put away and have got some bits coming for the mindees advent calender next year. It makes me feel organised

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know how anyone can buy gifts for next year :-D... it usually takes me until December to find out what anyone wants and even then, someone usually buys themselves the item I've thought of! ;-)
    I might buy crackers and I am tempted by an outside decoration if I see one but that's it. I have soooo much paper from previous years I'm not buying anymore until it's all used up!
    I'm in awe of people organised or is it awake enough to think about next Christmas!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    I don't know how anyone can buy gifts for next year :-D... it usually takes me until December to find out what anyone wants and even then, someone usually buys themselves the item I've thought of! ;-)
    I might buy crackers and I am tempted by an outside decoration if I see one but that's it. I have soooo much paper from previous years I'm not buying anymore until it's all used up!
    I'm in awe of people organised or is it awake enough to think about next Christmas!
    Me too a friend posted on fb the other day she had brought all presents for next Christmas.

My immediate thoughts were
    A) How on earth do you buy gifts a year in advance.
    B) Do you really tell everyone that there present was brought in a sale. (Nothing wrong with buying in a sale but I wouldn't announce it).
    C) Where do you store them?
    D) How on earth do you buy children when they are fickle with their likes. I know what mine like now will not be the same as next year.

20. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=FussyElmo;1414892]Me too a friend posted on fb the other day she had brought all presents for next Christmas.

My immediate thoughts were
    A) How on earth do you buy gifts a year in advance.
    B) Do you really tell everyone that there present was brought in a sale. (Nothing wrong with buying in a sale but I wouldn't announce it).
    C) Where do you store them?
    D) How on earth do you buy children when they are fickle with their likes. I know what mine like now will not be the same as next year.[/QUOTE]

LOL - what my DD liked a week ago is not what she likes now !!!!

22. Likes Maza, FussyElmo liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy things as I see them throughout the year, especially if a good price or a one-off that I'm unlikely to be able to find just when needed. I maintain Mrs B is completely bonkers for having them wrapped already.

I find the tricky bits are:-
    1. Remembering who I bought each thing for.
    2. Remembering who's already had what, so I don't duplicate.
    3. Remembering where I put the lists that prevent me doing either of the above.

It is, of course, essential I resist possible 'fad' items for the lo's (eg. Little Billy is mad about Thomas TT Engine now, but will he still be interested come his next birthday), and not to give that unwanted bottle of wine or bathroom set back to the same mum who gave it to me/Mrs B last year.

Best result this Christmas was my two youngest grandchildren's favourite presents: both came from charity shops.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I could never buy anything this early for next Christmas, although I know my sister will already have everyone's presents bought and wrapped by now. It's hard to believe we come from the same family!

I guess if I gave everyone shower gel gift sets from Boots I could manage it, but I like to go out and look for something specifically with each person in mind. I couldn't get them something personal now when I don't know what their situation will be next December.

The only big advantage to us with sale shopping is that DD's birthday is in January. We do have a slight difference of opinion though. We think we can get her presents at half the price. She thinks she gets twice as many presents for the same money!

25. Likes Maza, loocyloo, hectors house liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Browsed in my local hospice shop this morning and was so tempted ......lots of regifted presents lined their shelves and the donators are the total opposite to me because I loved everything!
    But..as a family we have all decided to next year make gifts, all gifts to each other will be home made. So no dilemma over what to get who, how much to spend, when to pick it up to get the best value. I am looking forward to it and DH and I have plans to make throughout the year....but I expect December 2016 will be spent madly making! My youngest has shared his idea with me of writing everyone a song and recording it ( his hobby Is music tech and he writes poetry / songs all the time, though not all the family know this) so I know this home made gift will make me emotional, which may not be a good idea for Christmas. The youngsters of the family were surprisingly enthusiastic about this idea which was really refreshing.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Browsed in my local hospice shop this morning and was so tempted ......lots of regifted presents lined their shelves and the donators are the total opposite to me because I loved everything!
    But..as a family we have all decided to next year make gifts, all gifts to each other will be home made. So no dilemma over what to get who, how much to spend, when to pick it up to get the best value. I am looking forward to it and DH and I have plans to make throughout the year....but I expect December 2016 will be spent madly making! My youngest has shared his idea with me of writing everyone a song and recording it ( his hobby Is music tech and he writes poetry / songs all the time, though not all the family know this) so I know this home made gift will make me emotional, which may not be a good idea for Christmas. The youngsters of the family were surprisingly enthusiastic about this idea which was really refreshing.
    If my DH was as talented and creative as your hubby then I would happily let him make my presents, but alas, he's not creative. Then again, neither am I - the only thing I'm good at making is a mess. A lovely, lovely sentiment though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast