Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ITS THE WEEKEND

Registered Childminder since
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh, I do envy you all with Santa still in the house. I ask my boys want they want and try to get what I can afford and think is approppriate (mainly to do with ds, aged 13, requests for ps4 games). I don't say or acknowledge what will be given till Christmas morning. But the mindees are soooo excited as my Ey children are all 3 & 4 this year and so aware and involved. It's magicial and I will be sad to let them all go home for Christmas at the end of this week.

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Is your dd related to mine? A couple of years ago we had brought the presents went to see santa and she stood there and said all she wanted was a pink guitar. My brother was laughing his head off at mine and dhs faces as obviously we hadn't brought one yes we did the mad dash to try and find one
    You see, this is why I leave the Christmas present shopping till the last minute! I know people who have bought all their presents by September and I always think "but how do you know what people are going to want?". My DD is 14 and has still changed her mind endless times this year. Back in October she was desperate for a camera she'd seen. Despite her insisting it was what she really really wanted I didn't buy it...and was very glad 2 weeks later when she said she'd changed her mind and didn't want it after all!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember a few years ago DD really wanted a cuddly t-rex. I left it too late and was still searching for one as the shops were closing on Christmas eve. There was every dinosaur under the sun except a t-rex. We hoped she wouldn't notice, but of course she did and was so sad when she didn't get one on Christmas morning. On Boxing day we went to a dinosaur themed driving range as we knew they had some in stock. The only one they had of course was the giant sized one - almost as tall as her (and much wider). We felt so guilty that we bought it anyway. We still have it and it takes up half her bloomin' bedroom floor space, but she cannot part with him. I have learnt my lesson (famous last words) and have vowed not to leave special requests until the last minute.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughters are 29 n 26 and I can remember at least 3 of their early years rushing round trying to find the one thing that would really make their Christmas. It's s headache at the time but well worth it when you see their faces on the day x

6. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    Fast losing the will to live. Sat dd down last night and insisted she writes her letter to santa. 2 hours of humming and arring I have high heels, wellies and goalkeeping gloves. I put toys r us on the internet 3 of the 4 things she has choose are out of stock.

Beginning to wish I hadn't asked now
    On the other hand.....................

I played Santa today at the pub. One little girl had a written list of what she wants from Santa. It ran to 38 items, including a horse. I suggested she maybe meant a My Little Pony and went into how my personal favourite is Pinkie Pie (naturally) only to be told "that's for kids". No, she wants (expects? ) a real horse.............. and 37 other things.

Was visited by one of my mindees too, which was sweet.

8. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Did your mindee recognise you Bunyip?

10. Likes Mouse liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I was wondering that!

My DH was santa at the school fair when our boys were little. One of them came home very excited that santa had the same shoes as his dad

12. Likes BallyH, Maza liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    On the other hand.....................

I played Santa today at the pub. One little girl had a written list of what she wants from Santa. It ran to 38 items, including a horse. I suggested she maybe meant a My Little Pony and went into how my personal favourite is Pinkie Pie (naturally) only to be told "that's for kids". No, she wants (expects? ) a real horse.............. and 37 other things.

Was visited by one of my mindees too, which was sweet.
    Ah that was sweet. Did you play a trick and be a very clever santa by guessing his name favourite colour etc?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    No, which was good. At least, I assume he didn't recognise me, since he didn't cry.

OTOH, I completely failed to persuade Mummy to sit on Santa's knee, which was deeply disappointing.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moh View Post
    Ah that was sweet. Did you play a trick and be a very clever santa by guessing his name favourite colour etc?
    Easy peasey, lemon squeezy.

Tricks of the Santa trade, number 1. The EICOA* always takes a note of each child's name, age and some sort of 'secret' information (eg. favourite colour, pet's name, anything) then relays that to Santa whilst the children are traversing the 'winter wonderland'. Forewarned, Santa then surprises them by knowing all this stuff.

It all sounds really magical, but it's actually very educational, in that it prepares them for the later realisation that the UK government is doing this all the time by CCTV, illegal 'phone taps, email scans, undercover police of the Mark Kennedy type, etc.

*EICOA = Elf in charge of admissions.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy peasey, lemon squeezy.

Tricks of the Santa trade, number 1. The EICOA* always takes a note of each child's name, age and some sort of 'secret' information (eg. favourite colour, pet's name, anything) then relays that to Santa whilst the children are traversing the 'winter wonderland'. Forewarned, Santa then surprises them by knowing all this stuff.

It all sounds really magical, but it's actually very educational, in that it prepares them for the later realisation that the UK government is doing this all the time by CCTV, illegal 'phone taps, email scans, undercover police of the Mark Kennedy type, etc.

*EICOA = Elf in charge of admissions.
    I'm in awe that you remember all the information that the EICOA gives you, as I've got mindees here nearly 3/4 years and I still can't seem to get their names right!

17. Likes Maza, bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moh View Post
    I'm in awe that you remember all the information that the EICOA gives you, as I've got mindees here nearly 3/4 years and I still can't seem to get their names right!
    Do like I do. Write names on foreheads with a 'Sharpie' as soon as the last mummy has left for work, and scrub them off just in time for the first pick-up.

I'm considering going high-tech and asking the mums to have them each tattooed with a unique bar code. Then I just scan them in and all their learning records, allergies, food preferences, etc. can be downloaded from a central database. Still waiting for Ofsted approval on that one, but I'm pretty sure it will appeal to Wilshaw.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do like I do. Write names on foreheads with a 'Sharpie' as soon as the last mummy has left for work, and scrub them off just in time for the first pick-up.

I'm considering going high-tech and asking the mums to have them each tattooed with a unique bar code. Then I just scan them in and all their learning records, allergies, food preferences, etc. can be downloaded from a central database. Still waiting for Ofsted approval on that one, but I'm pretty sure it will appeal to Wilshaw.
    Me thinks we may be heading that way!

20. Likes bunyip liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12