Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you take vitamin supplements?

At a routine well woman appointment tonight my GP suggested that I start taking evening primrose and a whole other load of vitamins. I used to always take a multi vitamin years ago, and then I took all the ones to do with pregnancy/breastfeeding etc but haven't taken anything for a few years. I need to go and spend a small fortune tomorrow at the pharmacy!

Do you take any vitamin tablets? I ought to get something for DH too, are most of them are suitable for both men and women?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    At a routine well woman appointment tonight my GP suggested that I start taking evening primrose and a whole other load of vitamins. I used to always take a multi vitamin years ago, and then I took all the ones to do with pregnancy/breastfeeding etc but haven't taken anything for a few years. I need to go and spend a small fortune tomorrow at the pharmacy!

Do you take any vitamin tablets? I ought to get something for DH too, are most of them are suitable for both men and women?
    I think if you have 5 a day fruit and veg and live a healthy lifestyle and diet then you don't need Vitamins unless they are for something particular...evening primrose ...I took this when I was 33 and early menopause was showing signs...and black cohosh ...but ...still ended up taking HRT as they didn't go anywhere for me. Menopause done and dusted by 35, almost immediately after my last child, my hormones let me have another child and then gave up completely and fast tracked to menopause .....but I have had a very nice 50's unlike my friends!
    Unless DH has been advised or you need to supplement your diet then I don't think he needs to take them surely.
    It would depend on the reasons given by my GP if I went out and bought them.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I think if you have 5 a day fruit and veg and live a healthy lifestyle and diet then you don't need Vitamins unless they are for something particular...evening primrose ...I took this when I was 33 and early menopause was showing signs...and black cohosh ...but ...still ended up taking HRT as they didn't go anywhere for me. Menopause done and dusted by 35, almost immediately after my last child, my hormones let me have another child and then gave up completely and fast tracked to menopause .....but I have had a very nice 50's unlike my friends!
    Unless DH has been advised or you need to supplement your diet then I don't think he needs to take them surely.
    It would depend on the reasons given by my GP if I went out and bought them.
    Possibly pre-menopausal. And I don't eat any oily fish.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you had any blood tests done so is there a reason they're suggesting specific vitamins? I didn't think a general vitamin supplement was proven to have any effect, but if specific ones are being recommended then I guess they could help.

I take iron (on medical advice) and vitamin c to help with the iron absorption. I'm approaching 'that age' now but it's never been suggested I take anything else.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do they think you are pre-menopausal? Have they done a blood test to look at your hormone levels? I only ask as it was a possibility for me about a year ago due to various symptoms but they did some blood tests which showed I wasn't so they put me on the mini pill which has sorted me out lol.

To your original question, I have a cupboard full of various supplements which I have bought over time, taken for a short while then forgotten about and not used again I now prefer to drink lots of juices / smoothies especially when I feel a bit run down. I have a particularly nasty one at the moment with spinach, celery and cucumber - smells and tastes disgusting but seems to have knocked my cold on the head this week.

xxx

6. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No blood tests. Just sensitive breasts (sorry, tmi) which is why I was there in the first place. They are fine though - had lots of checks and I am satisfied with the result). She asked me questions about general health and diet and then recommended evening primrose oil, vitamin b complex and vitamin d. It was the lack of oily fish in my diet that she honed in on.

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No blood tests. Just sensitive breasts (sorry, tmi) which is why I was there in the first place. They are fine though - had lots of checks and I am satisfied with the result). She asked me questions about general health and diet and then recommended evening primrose oil, vitamin b complex and vitamin d. It was the lack of oily fish in my diet that she honed in on.
    I love Salmon and fresh mackeral ...but really am not keen on any other oily fish....never thought I needed a supplement.
    The blood tests confirmed my early menopause like someone else said....I suppose if you are taking natural remedies like primrose oil it won't do any harm....but I would much rather spend my cash on food!!!
    Good luck in your exploration into the world of vitamins..

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I really, really wish I liked oily fish but it makes me gag. Yes, vitamins are expensive. Also, I made the mistake today of buying a huge tub as it was obviously better value than the smaller tubs. When I opened it at home the tablets were like bricks! I found it hard to swallow. My advice to anyone would be to buy a smaller pack to start off with to see if you like that brand and then you haven't wasted as much money if you don't. Oh well, you live and learn!

AliceK, the green smoothies/juices are very popular at the moment aren't they? Very LA! Do you make your own? Or is there a particular brand that you would recommend?

10. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I really, really wish I liked oily fish but it makes me gag. Yes, vitamins are expensive. Also, I made the mistake today of buying a huge tub as it was obviously better value than the smaller tubs. When I opened it at home the tablets were like bricks! I found it hard to swallow. My advice to anyone would be to buy a smaller pack to start off with to see if you like that brand and then you haven't wasted as much money if you don't. Oh well, you live and learn!

AliceK, the green smoothies/juices are very popular at the moment aren't they? Very LA! Do you make your own? Or is there a particular brand that you would recommend?

lol, No I don't make my own. I'm afraid I buy them.
    The green ones are Innocent Antioxidant - this one is yummy, and Innocent Fruit and greens - this one is horrible.
    I have also got a bright orange one to try in the fridge by Vegessentials.
    I don't drink them all the time only when I think I need a pick me up.
    I do drink loads of orange juice though - balances out the can of coca cola I drink every day

xx

12. Likes Maza liked this post