Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Summer reads? (grown ups)

When I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago I hadn't taken a book with me and so I picked one up from the poolside book swap area. The only one in English was 'No Child of Mine' by Susan Lewis. It wasn't a genre I would normally bother with but I didn't have a choice. Anyway I was gripped. I can't remember when I last read something frivolous and not linked to child development. I will finish it tonight (didn't read it for a week when I got back, but so easy to pick up again).

I have loved having something to read again (although I do love my child development books). What are you reading? Any book/author recommendations? x

(By the way, when I say 'frivolous' I don't mean to offend, as the book covers a very serious/sad issue.)

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read up on no child of mine and think I will be buying it very soon.

I am easily addicted to reading and will for go sleep to read so try not to have new books. Instead I have turned to audio books which have helped me enjoy "reading" while I do laundry and things.

Currently I am listening to a series called "throne of glass" by Sarah J Maas. It is fab the only problem is they only have 3 of the books in the series so once I finish this one I will have to swap to print and as my two year old doesn't let me read I will have to stay up late.

3. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am currently reading Lila by Marilynne Robinson. It is on the long list for the Man Booker prize.
    Marilynne Robison is a favourite author of mine, Housekeeping and Gilead are also good and won Pulitzer and Orange awards.

The new Harper Lee is on my book club list for September - I am trying my best not to read any reviews as I believe they are rather negative, but the critics and I don't always share the same opinion! It is sitting on my bedside table ....willing me to start it...but I have a rule about finishing one book at a time...it's so tempting.
    Last edited by FloraDora; 31-07-2015 at 12:37 PM.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I read this book whilst on my cruise last week and I couldn't put it down - Life after Life by Kate Atkinson, this is the blurb from Amazon. (I borrowed it from the ship's library so had to finish it within the week)!

"What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right?

During a snowstorm in England in 1910, a baby is born and dies before she can take her first breath.

During a snowstorm in England in 1910, the same baby is born and lives to tell the tale.

What if there were second chances? And third chances? In fact an infinite number of chances to live your life? Would you eventually be able to save the world from its own inevitable destiny? And would you even want to?

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say 'I LET YOU GO' by Clare Mackintosh is one of the best books Ive read recently. I could not put it down once i got to a certain point. It was very well written. I read alot....My chill out time in the evenings is reading in the bath. Only peace i get!!
    I used to read alot of Susan Lewis books, they are good

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry30 View Post
    I would have to say 'I LET YOU GO' by Clare Mackintosh is one of the best books Ive read recently. I could not put it down once i got to a certain point. It was very well written. I read alot....My chill out time in the evenings is reading in the bath. Only peace i get!!
    I used to read alot of Susan Lewis books, they are good
    I love an occasional fix of a thriller - this one ️sounds great - it's on my list!

Great thread, thanks for starting it Maza.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh Hectors House that sounds intriguing! Was it sad?

Ooooh yes, the Harper Lee book...

Years ago I read 'Francesca's Party', can't remember who it was written by but it was really good. Other than that, a lot of the 'frivolous' stuff I have read was when I was much, much younger and so wouldn't really appeal to me any more.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooo some interesting books there.

I read alot of crime/thriller books and recommend Peter James and Peter Robinson. Carola Dunn writes books about 'Daisy Dalrymple' ...set in the 1920s about a girl who keeps stumbling upon dead bodies! Well written, easy reading and entertaining.

I recently read 'the last days of Rabbit Hayes' ... it is about a woman with terminal cancer putting her life in order. (Not an autobiography) I laughed and I cried and read it in one sitting. Not sure it's quite the book to read in public though!

I'm just having a few days of some light reading of 'chick lit' and am reading books by Fern Britton. They are easy reading, well written and I'm enjoying them.

Looking forward to more suggestions.
    I'm always in the library picking up books to read ... I just can't always remember what I've read!

11. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hooked to an author named Karin Slaughter. It's crime, pathology n then some. She has done 2 series and some stand alone books. I haven't found a bad read amongst them

13. Likes Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    I'm hooked to an author named Karin Slaughter. It's crime, pathology n then some. She has done 2 series and some stand alone books. I haven't found a bad read amongst them
    Ooo I think I read one the other week. It was good.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

She's on my list of favourite authors too.

I'm a great fan of book swaps while on holiday. It's a great way of reading books that you would ordinarily pick up and buy yourself.

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k1rstie View Post

She's on my list of favourite authors too.

I'm a great fan of book swaps while on holiday. It's a great way of reading books that you would ordinarily pick up and buy yourself.
    I read my 1st in the lunch room at a previous job. I've been a fan since

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I read my 1st in the lunch room at a previous job. I've been a fan since
    Haha, could you imagine doing that in this job?! x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    I sometimes do (try) to read a book in the sun in the garden while children are playing nicely - in my defence I feel I am setting a good example as lots of people these days read e-books and children don't get the same idea that parents are reading a book. I do have a Kobo but I generally only use it on holiday so I don't fill the case up with so many books, but the library assistant in me still prefers the real thing.

20. Likes Maza liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post

I sometimes do (try) to read a book in the sun in the garden while children are playing nicely - in my defence I feel I am setting a good example as lots of people these days read e-books and children don't get the same idea that parents are reading a book. I do have a Kobo but I generally only use it on holiday so I don't fill the case up with so many books, but the library assistant in me still prefers the real thing.
    Love how you included the word try lol if I'm outside with the children I like to take a book or magazine but never get past a page or two
    Tess1981

22. Likes Maza liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post

I do have a little read when all of my littleys are asleep. Although that no longer happens as I have 1 who doesn't nap

24. Likes Maza, loocyloo liked this post
    June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read to kill a mocking bird Have been wanting to for years but just picked up chick lit-- easy reads

26. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Just read to kill a mocking bird Have been wanting to for years but just picked up chick lit-- easy reads
    I have this in my 'to read ' stash as I have wanted to for years and found it in the take home pile at the library! I usually do chick lit too, life is too full of serious stuff sometimes
    And I just want 'fluff' to get absorbed in!

28. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    I have this in my 'to read ' stash as I have wanted to for years and found it in the take home pile at the library! I usually do chick lit too, life is too full of serious stuff sometimes
    And I just want 'fluff' to get absorbed in!
    I completely agree!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not read a book for absolutely ages. So tonight while the younger 2 were at athletics I restarted the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. A private investigator who is also a wizard so throw in vampires, fallen angels, werewolves etc.

I do need to catch up with the Karin slaughter books too - need to make more time to pick up a book again
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

31. Likes Maza liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast